It's Raining Fisher Consoles

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
My second in as many weeks. A Custom Electra III:

CustomElectraIII.jpg

I'm not really trying to amass a Fisher console collection...in fact I have placed the one from last week into a good home. I'll just need some help getting it up a flight of stairs.

This weeks' find is very interesting. When I went to look at it the owner happily turned it on to show me it still worked, while; at the same time, handing me two EL-84s she had found loose in the back. Looking inside I saw a 30A monoblock which was missing its output tubes. All this while the radio was playing. I explained how this shouldn't be happening and the owner just smiled a said it must be a miracle.

30a.jpg

30aGuts.jpg

This console had been sitting in their basement since the 70's and had apparently been a hiding place for their children's (now in their late 30s) toys and various other pieces of debris I pulled out of the access hole in the back. There was an ancient flea collar around the big power supply capacitor and several hundred puzzle pieces floating around inside there. Basically a fire just begging to happan.

When I couldn't find anyone to help me get it up their steep and narrow basement stairs I figured I could take it apart and carry it out piece by piece. I solved the mystery of the miraculous 30A when I pulled the 610-ST control amp/tuner and saw the two EL-84s and the output transformer in that jumble of tubes.

610-ST.jpg

610-STside.jpg

Once I got the console broken down, the owner's husband and I managed to get the woodwork out to my van and the rest was easy. I should probably mount a flashing light and paint "Console Rescue" on the side of my van with the amount that keep cropping up here in Northern Virginia. This one will be a Christmas present if I can get it fixed up in time.

I have all the lit for these units if you like, I could make you copies. At least I think its the 610, but I know it's the A-30.

Now there will be two of us on the hunt for another A-30. I've heard they are a very nice amp.

Good score by the way.

Thank you for the kind offer, ejfud. I'd love to see any info you have on these units - especially a schematic. Is your A-30 up and running?

Looks nice!
Those orange drops show that somebody's been under the hood though.

I have the Sams folder for the 30A if anyone needs it - email for a scan. The 610 didn't make it into Sams though.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but since this thread is talking Fisher Consoles, does anyone know if the Fisher Regent console was tube or solid state? I was offered one, but the owner has no idea what it is.

I think the console number is R-495 and the chassis is model 202.

I was running a 30A in a mono bedroom setup for a while, I really, really liked it.

Also, some of those old Fisher consoles used the 10" Jensen "hot dog" woofers, pr10s?? They are in demand with the vintage guitar guys.

Pete

R-495 isn't listed in the Sams index. Fisher had a 202R tuner and a "202 series" receiver, and a 202T tuner / preamp, which was used in consoles with a separate amp, all tube models. I do have the Sams folders for the latter two, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom