Polk Monitor-how to tell which model?

I have two sets of Polk Monitors - model 7 and model 10.
I know there are different flavors (10C, 10B, etc). If
sticker on a back says "Model 10" or "Model 7" only how to tell what exactly it it?

Thanks

The sticker on it actually should identify the version.
Otherwise, it's a little tricky.
You can browse around the "Vintage Speakers" section at the Polk Forums and it may be helpful.

I can provide a tiny bit of insight.

The original Polk Model 7 had an 8" passive radiator which was not coated.
The original Polk Model 10 likewise had an uncoated passive radiator.
These used the Peerless KO10DT silk dome tweeter. I am not sure whether the original ones featured the Polk-added center hole.

Here are the original 7 and 10 from an early (ca. 1976) brochure I have.

opolkstandsca1976.jpg

Here's an original Model 10 (acquired from JozMo this summer):
EDIT: oy, no hole in that dome, is there? :p

P1020559.jpg

The Monitor 7A had a 10", coated passive radiator, as did the Montor 10A (and possibly later 10s, for all I know). These used the Peerless tweeter, with a hole in the center.

Here's one of my Monitor 7As.

Polkmonitor7Asn4900.jpg

At some later point, the cosmetics improved considerably, with a black vinyl coating on the driver baffle and a smaller grille (with a wood trim strip at the bottom). Real wood veneer finishes showed up, too.

Later ones also used different tweeters than the Peerless. You can find more info on the various post-Peerless tweeters at the Polk forums.

Here's my Model 10's. Tweeter does have the hole in it. I thought it wouldn't since it was before any of the Monitor 10's. Serial #56281. Interesting.

1955519145_f99c5dcc55_o.jpg

1956348220_49f63fe57f_o.jpg

Those are interesting. Vinyl veneered baffle, all coated cones (with the big paper gaskets on the fronts of the baskets), and knobs instead of the "super Velcro" (see the photos I posted earlier) to hold on the grille. Late 10As or early 10Bs I would guess (but that is JUST a guess).

One fuse or two on those?

10As I would reckon. The grille pegs are the odd thing about them (and the black stuff on the baffle)
My 7As have two fuses, though many only had one (tweeter fuse).

There is a pretty early Model 7 on a popular online auction site. The photos reminded me that the earliest Polk "Monitors" used a terminal strip rather than 3/4" spaced "5-way binding posts".

I noticed that the cabinet appears to be square edged on the face whereas my 10Bs have a beveled edge in front. Also there is quite often a letter in the serial number indicating which model.

This manual shows the SL-2000 tweeters in the Monitor series.
http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/MonitorReferenceManual.pdf

Rob: I don't think Polk was terribly consistent with suffix changes and what we would consider significant changes in the product.
For example, there's no doubt that there were 7As with two fuses (I own a pair!) and 7As with a single fuse (tweeter).

If I remember, I'll ask my son what his 5s say on them... they have the SL-2000 tweeter and cosmetically are very much akin to the Monitor 7 photo posted by the OP.

7C, probably.

If they are 10As, someone retrofitted them with SL-2000 tweeters. Based on all that's come before in this thread, 10As ought to have Peerless KO10DTs -- not even the almost-Peerless-lookalike SL-1000. Your photo clearly shows an SL-2000.

The SL-2000 is not held in much esteem by Polk aficionados. They are sort of bright/harsh compared to other tweeters Polk used in the original monitor series. There is a brand new replacement available from Polk that's supposed to be quite good.

Call or email Polk Audio's customer service - there's is as good as it gets. Just have your Serial Numbers ready and they'll tell you exactly what you have.

Back
Top Bottom