Infinity studio monitor 150's any specs?

goraman

well I went to the roseville flea market and got the big infinity speakers I talked about in another thread 1 is really good the other needs a refoam and some cabnet repair but for $20.00 what the heck.dose anyone have specs on these or advise.:smoke:

The SM-150s are not generally considered one of the 'good' Infinity models, a piece from their dark ages, if you will. Big and impressive-looking, but the sound quality isn't really there to match. A far cry from the RS and Q models that preceded it.

Then again, for $20 - that's a pretty good deal.

Congratulations on your find ---I have a pair as well. I do know that they will accept from 10 to 300 watts @ 8 OHMS.
I am pushing mine with a Pioneer 1250 and the sounds is very tube like and will shake the house.
BUT -I need a refoam as well -so if you know a place that does a good job here around St. Clair Shores --Please let me know.
Thanks James

Stop beating the poor guy and let him enjoy his score.:D
If I had to guess, I'd bet effiency is around 98dB, and 35-20K for freq.
Very Cerwin-Vega like.

I had 120s, very vega-esque.

Would be great party speakers or garage speakers. Sound quality was not bad, but not my cup o tea!

I got a refoam kit from PE to do them.

Also, may want to grab some nicer caps for the crossovers.

Evan

I found it 102 db.
guess I discovered the reason people say they sound like music is comming through a tube,I removed the large woofer only to find no acustic wool,fiberglass or polly fill.I can't imagine a large ported 15" speaker in an echo chamber doing 300w.scarry!might be an improvement for Britney Spears though (loud with lots of echo) dose a very good job of hideing a lousy singers lack of talant.I will have to make some changes to these speakers. 1st I will have to seperate and enclose the mids and tweet from the woofer as they should have a seprate chamber ,then add pounds of acustic wool,and foam line the inside cabs,change caps to Solons, and refoam,and fix the cabnet where its been dropped.Then figure out what I'm going to do with these monsters.I got them for the newly rebuilt spec seprates 1&2 and thought they might be a good 1970's match for a vintage system for the spare bed room.I have a crazy neibor that complains when I run over 10 watts per channel,in a liveing room with doul pain windows, dynamatted walls then covered with fabric covered foam sound treatments ,carpet has been pulled up and foam shot in the floors and the commen walls are doubble sheet roched with 6" in between from builder,most of the time she complains the police have come to the door and only the tv is on or I'm not even home and another neibor tells me about it.GO Figure.So I figure 2X 300watts through bass heavy speakers pointed at her bed room wall once a week awt to be fun,mabey the theam from 2001 a space oddicy should be just the right song.

Congratulations on your find ---I have a pair as well. I do know that they will accept from 10 to 300 watts @ 8 OHMS.
I am pushing mine with a Pioneer 1250 and the sounds is very tube like and will shake the house.
BUT -I need a refoam as well -so if you know a place that does a good job here around St. Clair Shores --Please let me know.
Thanks James

Im sending my woofers to Orange county speakers $45.00 per woofer but they re edge them and realighn the voice coil replace the dust cap .I live in Ca. and they are well respected here.

Prolly wouldn't hurt to throw some polyfill in the cabs while you have the woofers out.

Just so you know, the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey is called Also Sparach Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss. It should do the job nicely.

I would also consider re-bracing the internal cabinet walls as well. I have a pair and with some help like suggested they can be made to sound much better- sows ear to a silk purse thing. You can get the foam kits for these here from ReEdger on AK for about $18~$20, but will have to probably break off the plastic trim ring to do it as it is glued on real well!

I'm really debating on how much $$ and time I wan't to spend on these.The cabnet on one of them is in bad shape broken at the bottom and there very poorly put together.I thought it would be a simple repair but these things are very low dencity,they just crumble like a saltine cracker.I thought they might be fun to rattle walls with but I think Ikeia could make a better cabnet than this. It's very diapointing. Cerwin Vega's D-3's are made better.Did Infinity get rejected pressed board and hire crack smoking micro cyphalics to build them? Don't know?What du yall think? Mabey I should Google speakers built by crack heads and see if a picture of them pops up...

It really is sad to have seen such a respected and tallented product maker like Infinity turn to the "dark side" like this. I guess the call of the Euro was just to great.

AHHH Integrity, I knew it well...but alas no more.
DC

Now, now - Infinity SM 150 (range) are about the best of the SM line. They will respond to all the improvements you've listed. Will they be Q's or RS - probably not? Will they be very efficient party/patio speakers - hell yes :) While the Woofs are out, you may want to dope the inside of the cabs with penetrating epoxy to strengthen. Then egg crate foam the interior. You can put polly fill in as needed to dampen boom. Cab braces are easy. In a box that big, small sub-enclosure(s) for the mids should be easy. The tweet should be sealed already (Polycell?). Recap is not a biggy except for the hot melt glue cutting. Most Infinity crossovers are sweet designs. Seems that where they put a lot of the effort in engineering and testing. These are a real good basis for testing improvements :)

OBTW- you might want to move/post in Infinity forum as you go?

First, please post pictures. I am a big fan of older Infinity speakers.

The Infinity Classics site has 99.9% good information. The SS1A scans they have came from me. And many of the SS-1 and other spec sheets as well.

However the first SS-1 pictures they have isn't a Servo-Statik version at all. It is really a permutation of the 2000 model series.

Back
Top Bottom