Goodbye, JBL L-46s- a mini review tribute

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Just let my JBL L-46s go this afternoon. Both pair. Sad, but glad they'll be appreciated by the eager new owner.

What is a JBL L-46?

A very nice two-way design, with the famed 117H 8" woofer with bright-white paper cone and a butyl surround (on most), and a titanium dome tweeter- the famed 034s.

The build quality of these is outstanding, with a precision, heavy-duty cast aluminum woofer basket that looks like a rim off a musclecar, titanium dome tweeters, and both drivers with close tolerance voice coil gaps and flat coil wire.

The cabs are stout and solid, internally well braced, and finished in a beautiful, high-grade American black walnut finish that, with some tung oil, shines like a brown brook trout in the soft sunlight.

The 8" woofer may not put out the bass of the 10" L-56, which uses a 10" woofer (3dB lower) and bigger cabinet, but it's not a huge night-day difference as one would expect. I would say it's due to the "voicing" of the speaker by JBL that results in this. Quite impressive. Both are a ported design. Drivers are vertically aligned.

Also, the L-46's 8" woofer mates better than the 10" woofer in the L-56, in my opinion, with this tweeter- less of a size gap going on there. The L-46 sounds more balanced, more cohesive, overall, than the L-56. I feel the L-56 begs for a midrange driver, where the L-46 does not.

The L-46 is also easier to place than the larger L-56, another bonus. That bigger cab is kind of hulking for a 2-way, comparitively speaking.

Very efficient, the JBLs really get loud, and fast, off little power. 10wpc is recommended, and will take 100wpc.

The grills are not your run-of-the-mill squares, but bevel-edged, angular, artistically designed covers. Not too fancy, but some design thought went into these. Put them into an Eames setting and you've pretty much got a great match, with those subtle angular grill edges and deep rich veneer.

Pull the grills off, and they look at home in any 70's recording facility. White cone woofers framed by thick, chunky aluminum, and a tweeter, paper-thin titanium dome in a thick black circle, with a mesh screen over it to protect from damage. The screen looks stolen from a front porch window, but formed into a circular and domed half-sphere, it's seductively industrial looking, while still remaining very elegant.

Resale value of these L-46s keeps climbling. For a pair you would grab for $25 to $50 a short wile ago, expect to pay $75, $100, even $150 and up. I've seen 'em sell upwards of $280 at times.

Clearly, like Altecs/Lansings, JBLs are also very collectible. A nearly fool-proof investment, as they'll almost always appreciate in value.

So, what are the physical shortcomings?

Two, total. One insignificant, one annoying enough for me to legitimately gripe.

The nonsensical, petty complaint of mine is, with all the great colors JBL grills came in, the L-46s were offered in puppy-poop rich brown only. Where were the burnt orange, the aqua, the reds of the other models? But this is minor.

The complaint worthy of print is the speaker terminals. Terminally annoying. A decent design of a type where the wire is inserted into a hole then the connection is twisted a quarter-turn to lock the wire in place is great. But they accept only dinky 18 gauge wire, and if your wire is terminated with little pins, they won't "grab", as the pins won't flatten as the terminal is twisted.

Annoying.

Anyhow, on to sound-

The JBLs are a pleasant, but forward-sounding speaker. Eager to please and excite, they pack a wollup. Van Halen's debut self-titled album or "1984" and Queen's "Greatest Hits" & "Classics" both excell on the JBLs. Big sound from the flamboyant singers, large guitars, heavy-hitting drums, and jacked-up control booth operators rolling on a diet of little white pills and little white lines, and getting wild with the faders. It fills the room up effortlessly.

hey, what was that?!? did I just get passed a joint by the sessions player? I think so. I feel like I'm right at home in the 70's/80's with the fellas in the studio, belly up to the mixing board, with these.

Put in a DVD and hook 'em up to the telly, and all of a sudden, the monster (and Arnold, too) in "Predator" sounds bigger and meaner, bones snap with more authority in the hands of Steven Segal in "Above the Law", punches are felt, as well as heard, with both Robert DeNiro & Sylvester Stallone in "Raging Bull" and "Rocky" (respectively), car crashes crunch with more damage and insurance surcharges in "Gone in 60 Seconds", and you pee your pants when Samuel L. Jackson gets mad in "Pulp Fiction".

I loved them for this. Drum and bass, techno, hip-hop, heavy metal, and many other flavours of music are embraced by these dynamos.

But put them on a diet of jazz, or female vocals, or male vocals, acoustic, or folk, and the JBLs are not my cup of tea.

The sound remains, well, sounding "processed". As if the fellas in the studio are dumbfounded how to mic, mix, and record poor old Doc Watson. And the normally easy-going good 'ol doc sounds a bit congested way up in the topmost of his sinuses, and a bit agitated, a bit irritated. Holly Cole sounds like she's being piped in through a Radio Shack PA mic. Someone's got their fingers on the treble button, and it's turned way up on poor old Neko Case- she's sounding white-hot.

My opinion, of course, but that's what these, and many other JBLs of that era sound like- a bit hot, a bit "processed", always "heavy handed" and "produced".

Not bad, and easily balanced with proper EQ, but out of the box, Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt, Billie Holiday and Chet Baker don't like 'em.

Early Miles Davis? No.

Later, heroin-era, wild-eyed & funky Miles Davis? Just fine.

So, with my musical tastes ranging from hip-hop to techno to industrial, but also to folk and jazz and bluegrass, the JBLs and I, well, we just didn't mesh.

The new owner seemed thrilled, and was pleased as punch with them (he is a tech at a JBL repair facility). I wish him many happy hours of listening and enjoyment.

L46

Paul I saw your post on CL for the two pairs of L46 and glad to see they went to the JBL tech, guessing it was one of the guys from Pro Sound in Braintree, done buisness with them and highly recommend them. Already have a pair of L46 that are out of roatation for the time being since I picked up six (6) pairs of 4301b. Seven 4301b speakers are in my surround system and another pair are doing duty in my second system and that leaves me three spare 4301b speakers. Getting back to the L46 I have to agree with your comments and that they are one of the better vintage JBL 8" two way speakers. I have some JBL blue cloth that I got from Zilch and plan to redo the grills, agree that the brown cloth just doesn't have the JBL excitement factor.

Nice write-up, but I'm pretty sure the 034 tweeter is not titamium. Here's the closest I could find on a quick search, but I'm pretty sure I have the specs on another laptop:

The 034 used phenolic diaphragms coated with aluminum and they are "good" to ~ 15 kHz.

Hopefully these pics can help augment your thread- I've got six of these lined up for use in a surround system here- the center pair show the Rick Cobb foam surrounds, they've all got them now:

Attachments

• L46noflashgrilles.jpg
    L46noflashgrilles.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 71
  • L46noflash.jpg
    L46noflash.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 221
Thanks for the write-up Paul. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of a pair I epayed just yesterday; thought to myself, bag of groceries, or ....a nice set of L46's

With eclectic tastes in phsycoacoustics myself, I've been struggling with the genre shortcomings of Wharfedale W70d's in the retropostmodernapocolyptic realm of subpopular existance...who'd of thunk?
The L46 should co-exist well in my parlor.

I needed something to eclipse my tandy-tone& stuffed, panny thruster jr., beauty school dropout speakers.
"...that thing gotta hemi?" why yes, ...yes it does, my good man.

gracias, amigo :music:
vth

my future-man L46's roomies
tandy-toned thruster jr's:
viewscreensmall.jpg

in the engine room:
muskasteins-small.jpg

Oh, and a very inexpensive improvement was made using the Parts Express 091-340 speaker input terminals. Installation was straightforward, and each upgraded speaker was auditioned against un-modded speakers and sounded noticeably better. The OEMs (or their connections with the feed wires) were obviously impeding the signal to some degree. I'll grab a pic if anyone cares.

I may also try the Zilch-approved plumber's plugs in the ports, not because there's any boomyness to tame (as in the L100s), but because I'm using these strictly for theatre and pulling out frequencies under 80Hz, so I'm thinking that sealing the box might give me a little more power handling and control on the woofers. We'll see, that's down the road a little ways.

je

Just for the record, BBC Radio 1 used to use JBL L46s for monitoring purposes and for completeness Radio 3 and early stereo encoded Local BBC Radio used Spendor BC3s in their studios.

:)

...a very inexpensive improvement was made using the Parts Express 091-340 speaker input terminals. Installation was straightforward, and each upgraded speaker was auditioned against un-modded speakers and sounded noticeably better. The OEMs (or their connections with the feed wires) were obviously impeding the signal to some degree. I'll grab a pic if anyone cares...

Please do. That's interesting- I'd not have thought the terminals would hinder them so much. I'd love to see a pic, and thanks for the info!!!

Just for the record, BBC Radio 1 used to use JBL L46s for monitoring purposes and for completeness Radio 3 and early stereo encoded Local BBC Radio used Spendor BC3s in their studios.

:)

The L46 speakers make for great monitors. Many a budget Berkeley college of music/Allston Rock City musician have used them just for this.

Jim Lansing would be pleased :thmbsp:

I hope so.

And the negatives I posted, well, that's just my opinion, which is neither scientific nor gospel. Some folk may finf that they enjoy folk, vocals, jazz, ect on these. The speakers, paired with the proper gear, colud also transform 'em a bit. too many variables to introduce here.

But I hope you enjoyed the read, and I hope it makes for a good platform for folk shopping for JBLs.

:thmbsp:

Ask...

...and ye shall receive. Still have one pair with the OEM...in case you wanna stop by & hear the difference. I'm not saying they hindered them "so much", but there was an audible improvement once they were changed. And, of course, I can now use bananas or giant-gauge wire to them.

je

Attachments

• IMG_9090 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9090 (Medium).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9091 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9091 (Medium).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9092 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9092 (Medium).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 137
The L50's I had but have since parted ways with had the same turn lock connectors. I did'nt mind those as much as the OEM metel push type spring loaded ones on the 4311's which I changed out to the same PE posts as Fred did on the L46's.
It's a fairly easy job even for a novice like myself.

I too have a pair of L46's (my first refoam). I will never part with them though mine are currently off rotation as well. I put mine on 16" stands slightly leaned back. I use Monster Cable QuickLock Gold Flex Pin Connectors with 12 gauge wire so I have left my connector stock but can still use upgraded wire.

Great review thedelihaus! :banana:

Yank

... I feel the L-56 begs for a midrange driver, where the L-46 does not.

I couldn't agree more. Granted, I'm attuned to 3-ways, but the L56's I have tend to be rather bass heavy, muddy and somewhat dull and in dire need of some midrange support to give both the LF and HF drivers more breathing room.

Fred's right, the L-46 and L-56 034 is an aluminum deposition dome, not Ti. It's also been well reported by ex-JBL'ers that when the vapor deposition machine broke down, the 044 and 034 domes were simply painted with aluminum spray paint. :D

Great review!

Just let my JBL L-46s go this afternoon. Both pair. Sad, but glad they'll be appreciated by the eager new owner.

What is a JBL L-46?

A very nice two-way design, with the famed 117H 8" woofer with bright-white paper cone and a butyl surround (on most), and a titanium dome tweeter- the famed 034s.

The build quality of these is outstanding, with a precision, heavy-duty cast aluminum woofer basket that looks like a rim off a musclecar, titanium dome tweeters, and both drivers with close tolerance voice coil gaps and flat coil wire.

The cabs are stout and solid, internally well braced, and finished in a beautiful, high-grade American black walnut finish that, with some tung oil, shines like a brown brook trout in the soft sunlight.

The 8" woofer may not put out the bass of the 10" L-56, which uses a 10" woofer (3dB lower) and bigger cabinet, but it's not a huge night-day difference as one would expect. I would say it's due to the "voicing" of the speaker by JBL that results in this. Quite impressive. Both are a ported design. Drivers are vertically aligned.

Also, the L-46's 8" woofer mates better than the 10" woofer in the L-56, in my opinion, with this tweeter- less of a size gap going on there. The L-46 sounds more balanced, more cohesive, overall, than the L-56. I feel the L-56 begs for a midrange driver, where the L-46 does not.

The L-46 is also easier to place than the larger L-56, another bonus. That bigger cab is kind of hulking for a 2-way, comparitively speaking.

Very efficient, the JBLs really get loud, and fast, off little power. 10wpc is recommended, and will take 100wpc.

The grills are not your run-of-the-mill squares, but bevel-edged, angular, artistically designed covers. Not too fancy, but some design thought went into these. Put them into an Eames setting and you've pretty much got a great match, with those subtle angular grill edges and deep rich veneer.

Pull the grills off, and they look at home in any 70's recording facility. White cone woofers framed by thick, chunky aluminum, and a tweeter, paper-thin titanium dome in a thick black circle, with a mesh screen over it to protect from damage. The screen looks stolen from a front porch window, but formed into a circular and domed half-sphere, it's seductively industrial looking, while still remaining very elegant.

Resale value of these L-46s keeps climbling. For a pair you would grab for $25 to $50 a short wile ago, expect to pay $75, $100, even $150 and up. I've seen 'em sell upwards of $280 at times.

Clearly, like Altecs/Lansings, JBLs are also very collectible. A nearly fool-proof investment, as they'll almost always appreciate in value.

So, what are the physical shortcomings?

Two, total. One insignificant, one annoying enough for me to legitimately gripe.

The nonsensical, petty complaint of mine is, with all the great colors JBL grills came in, the L-46s were offered in puppy-poop rich brown only. Where were the burnt orange, the aqua, the reds of the other models? But this is minor.

The complaint worthy of print is the speaker terminals. Terminally annoying. A decent design of a type where the wire is inserted into a hole then the connection is twisted a quarter-turn to lock the wire in place is great. But they accept only dinky 18 gauge wire, and if your wire is terminated with little pins, they won't "grab", as the pins won't flatten as the terminal is twisted.

Annoying.

Anyhow, on to sound-

The JBLs are a pleasant, but forward-sounding speaker. Eager to please and excite, they pack a wollup. Van Halen's debut self-titled album or "1984" and Queen's "Greatest Hits" & "Classics" both excell on the JBLs. Big sound from the flamboyant singers, large guitars, heavy-hitting drums, and jacked-up control booth operators rolling on a diet of little white pills and little white lines, and getting wild with the faders. It fills the room up effortlessly.

hey, what was that?!? did I just get passed a joint by the sessions player? I think so. I feel like I'm right at home in the 70's/80's with the fellas in the studio, belly up to the mixing board, with these.

Put in a DVD and hook 'em up to the telly, and all of a sudden, the monster (and Arnold, too) in "Predator" sounds bigger and meaner, bones snap with more authority in the hands of Steven Segal in "Above the Law", punches are felt, as well as heard, with both Robert DeNiro & Sylvester Stallone in "Raging Bull" and "Rocky" (respectively), car crashes crunch with more damage and insurance surcharges in "Gone in 60 Seconds", and you pee your pants when Samuel L. Jackson gets mad in "Pulp Fiction".

I loved them for this. Drum and bass, techno, hip-hop, heavy metal, and many other flavours of music are embraced by these dynamos.

But put them on a diet of jazz, or female vocals, or male vocals, acoustic, or folk, and the JBLs are not my cup of tea.

The sound remains, well, sounding "processed". As if the fellas in the studio are dumbfounded how to mic, mix, and record poor old Doc Watson. And the normally easy-going good 'ol doc sounds a bit congested way up in the topmost of his sinuses, and a bit agitated, a bit irritated. Holly Cole sounds like she's being piped in through a Radio Shack PA mic. Someone's got their fingers on the treble button, and it's turned way up on poor old Neko Case- she's sounding white-hot.

My opinion, of course, but that's what these, and many other JBLs of that era sound like- a bit hot, a bit "processed", always "heavy handed" and "produced".

Not bad, and easily balanced with proper EQ, but out of the box, Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt, Billie Holiday and Chet Baker don't like 'em.

Early Miles Davis? No.

Later, heroin-era, wild-eyed & funky Miles Davis? Just fine.

So, with my musical tastes ranging from hip-hop to techno to industrial, but also to folk and jazz and bluegrass, the JBLs and I, well, we just didn't mesh.

The new owner seemed thrilled, and was pleased as punch with them (he is a tech at a JBL repair facility). I wish him many happy hours of listening and enjoyment.

I love mine hooked up to my Sansui G5500 reciever....not getting rid of them...also have some vintage Polk monitor 5s & Klipsh KG 3

Back
Top Bottom