Yamaha P-550

speedracer

Hi, Wondering if anybody has any info on this TT, bought it mant MANY years ago, thinking of bringing back into service. Thanks.

Since Yamaha in general made excellent turntables, let's turn the question around a bit.

If you operate the turntable right now, what does it do -- or fail to do -- which you feel might deserve attention? Is the speed correct? Is it stable? Does the machine cue up and down correctly? Does it pick up properly at the end of the record? Is the tonearm free moving or is there stickiness? What condition is the stylus in? Do both channels work or is there cutting out? Oxidation on the RCA plugs? Is the rubber mat still soft and clean? Is the dust cover still intact? Is there dust all over everything? Are the shock-resistant feet holding up?

Is the stylus clean? And especially: with a record on it, how does it sound?

Fred

Well, it's in the attic right now, as I remember, it was VERY sensitive back in the day, couldn't touch any part of it, was hooked up to a Yama R-900(?) It has a Grado-MF3E+ in it ($60.00 back in the day)

I believe that is a direct drive straight tonearm model. I have a P-450 here and it is belt drive but fully auto so I expect the P-550 is also. Hope your attice is well ventilated or you may find the mat has perished.

Don't throw to much money after it, the P- series wasn't really that good. As you say it is sensitive and with only a bit more than 6kg it is understandble why. Don't get this wrong, yamaha never made really bad stuff, P- series just wassn't in the better end of things.

About the P-550 1980-82

I belive that arm is a very simplyfied version of the one on the PX-2 and 3 (not to compair the P-550 with those).

Drive is as you say FG Servo DD.
Motor: 8 Poles coreless Hall Motor.
The platter is 30cm, 1,6kg.
S/N 77dB.
Wow and flutter: 0,015% WRMS

The arm:
Stright tube arm
Effecktive lengh 222mm
Overhang 16mm
Recomended carthridge weight: 2,5g - 10g
Headshell: Resin 20% carbon fiber, ADC type 2,8g
arm + cable 100pF

Dimensions: 440x132x372mm, 6,8kg

Don't throw to much money after it, the P- series wasn't really that good. As you say it is sensitive and with only a bit more than 6kg it is understandble why. Don't get this wrong, yamaha never made really bad stuff, P- series just wassn't in the better end of things.

About the P-550 1980-82

I belive that arm is a very simplyfied version of the one on the PX-2 and 3 (not to compair the P-550 with those).

Drive is as you say FG Servo DD.
Motor: 8 Poles coreless Hall Motor.
The platter is 30cm, 1,6kg.
S/N 77dB.
Wow and flutter: 0,015% WRMS

The arm:
Stright tube arm
Effecktive lengh 222mm
Overhang 16mm
Recomended carthridge weight: 2,5g - 10g
Headshell: Resin 20% carbon fiber, ADC type 2,8g
arm + cable 100pF

Dimensions: 440x132x372mm, 6,8kg
Well, What should I / could I do to this TT ? and why is sooo "sensitive" ?

Not sure what you mean by sensitive, the P-450 that I use in my shop does not strike me as overly sensitive. If you bump the chassis it will skip but so do most TTs.

Not sure what you mean by sensitive, the P-450 that I use in my shop does not strike me as overly sensitive. If you bump the chassis it will skip but so do most TTs.

As I remember, just touching the dust cover, it would come through the speakers !

You have to dampen the vibrations, I don't remember how the P-550 is build but it might be the feet that make the suspension like on the PX-2 and 3. If it is troubled you can hear the famous walking across the room (if doing so) and then you need to fix the suspension in the feet (on the TT :) ). One thing many TT fans also do is to add weight to the body and also sound dampening material, but do a search on this, there are many people here that know much more about this than I.

I only know that the P- and TT- line was the low of what Yamaha ever did in TT's, but remember as I said earlier; Yamaha never brought out really crappy units, they where always in the top of class if not best.

You have to dampen the vibrations, I don't remember how the P-550 is build but it might be the feet that make the suspension like on the PX-2 and 3. If it is troubled you can hear the famous walking across the room (if doing so) and then you need to fix the suspension in the feet (on the TT :) ). One thing many TT fans also do is to add weight to the body and also sound dampening material, but do a search on this, there are many people here that know much more about this than I.

I only know that the P- and TT- line was the low of what Yamaha ever did in TT's, but remember as I said earlier; Yamaha never brought out really crappy units, they where always in the top of class if not best.

Well I've hooked it up and once you turn the volume up, if you tap onthe dust cover you hear it through the speakers (so don't do that, right ?), but should it be so senitve ?

Unless the platter and tonearm are suspended seperately from the plinth you will hear that through the speakers, heck even my Planar 2 is THAT sensitive.

plinth ?? so this is normal, for ALL TT's ??

The plinth is the base. It is normal for all TTs that don't have a platter and arm suspended independently from the base. In those tts when you press on the platter it bounces up and down. In non-suspended tts like yours the isolation is usually done via springy or spongy feet. And yes, when you touch any part of the tt during play you will hear it through the speakers. So the answer is not to touch it.

The plinth is the base. It is normal for all TTs that don't have a platter and arm suspended independently from the base. In those tts when you press on the platter it bounces up and down. In non-suspended tts like yours the isolation is usually done via springy or spongy feet. And yes, when you touch any part of the tt during play you will hear it through the speakers. So the answer is not to touch it.
So it sounds like I need a better TT !

One thing you can do is to place a small piece of rubber under the front corners of the cover, this will make some of the vibrations go away.

Even if you had quite good TT, you will always need a better one. That is the bug biting :D

Note: Moste TT lovers don't play with the cover down, exactly due to you're problem. hek some of the most expencive tt's don't even come with a cover.

Back
Top Bottom