mcintosh mc 2105

georgedannyg

i have a quistion where can i buy main filter caps at these are 39000 at 40v i cant find them anywhere or how high of a value can i go in mfd and volts my mc 2105 has a main filter cap out

You can use a higher voltage spec. McIntosh parts department should have some cans that will work.

Thanks,
Ron-C

The 2105 uses the same physical size cans as the 2205. They are indeed available as I have a pair - I think they are 63 volt which would be fine as Mr. Ron stated.

Murray

i feel better now with my "old " mx 2100 caps still going strong ,but its nice that spare parts are still available

These big cans are not uncommon at these ratings and voltages. The newer parts are somewhat smaller in many cases though.

thanks,
Ron-C

"Smaller" is a definite understatement. :D New caps generally run 1/3 to 1/2 the size of old caps. The new 6800uf/100V pair I am putting in an old power supply to replace the original 6000uf/80V pair is the same diameter and 40% the length (35x40 rather than 35x100). That is about standard. Either much smaller in diameter or considerably shorter in length. But a generally better product with better ESR and ripple spec's. Never hurts to recap old amps.

The pair of caps that I have are 41000µf/50v and are the same size (for all practical purposes) as the originals, 3" x 4 1/8". They work perfectly as I have tried them in both my 2105 and 2205. Blue sleeve and black tops. Still available, too.

Murray

Who is the supplier of same? I've been using almost all Panasonic FC/FM/TS and Nichicon and they are always much smaller than the Elna, etc., they are replacing.

The new screw terminal 27,000uf/100V Chem-Con caps are 2"x4.5", which are the same dimensions as the original circa 1979 caps they are replacing.

They are Sprague screw terminal caps so not really the same thing as current production "small" value caps. 36DX413G050DC2A

Murray

Would the Cornell Dubilier DCMC series computer grade screw terminal caps be as good as the Sprague 36DX413G050DC2A 41,000uF x 50v caps for the power supply?

My local capacitor warehouse has the Cornell DCMC403T050DC2B cap. Its 50V 40000UF 3" Dia X 4.125 tall $ 40.00 each.

The tolerances are tighter (-10% +50%) and I was wondering if the ESR and ripple current values are sufficient?

I would guess they are superior to the originals.

here it the link to CDE'd data sheet...

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/DCMC.pdf

Back
Top Bottom