Marantz Rescue Shelter

roggom

I recently purchased a 2226 from the local CL. The owner lived in a pretty sketchy part of town, but for the price I couldn't resist. Upon entering the house I noticed he had stacks of old gear, an old piano and records everywhere. We walked sideways into a far room and I saw the receiver there with some knobs missing and without feet. He had only headphones to listen to, which sounded OK, but from the condition it was a coin flip if it would handle any power. As you can see in the first pic I was pretty worried about the amp section. To my surprise the unit worked. The cleaning took forever, If anyone has seen Zoolander (when he went to work in the coal mines with his father), I had a stack of qtip's as high as the receiver. After re lamping, lots of deoxit and some tweaking, the unit sounds awesome :music:. Marantz quality and durability at its finest. I have it on my workbench and listen as I tend to the aid of other ailing units. Just had to share.

Rogers

Attachments

• 2226before.JPG
    2226before.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 225
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 185
  • bench.JPG
    bench.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 189
Helluva job. I always love to see those lower powered ones returned to their previous glory. With everyones eyes on the higher powered TOTL models, it's refreshing to see the litte guys get some respect. :thmbsp:

roggom, Second helluva job on the clean up.. hope he wasn't a smoker.
That tar is pretty hard to get rid of.
Barney

Very nice job, Rogers!
I'm betting that all that dust protected the chassis from corrosion and pitting.:D

Tom

Thanks everyone, I tell you these receivers will retain a smell of the owners house (just like a box of baking soda) . I have a another that smells like wet basement. After some hours of play it will dissipate. Sometimes I will clean with orange blast on the chassis. Has anyone ever found anything crazy when they opened a receiver?

I had, I believe, a 2325 Marantz receiver. The whole tuning dial was melted beyond recognition. I mean torched. Every time you turned it on, you could smell burnt. However, that receiver played like a charm for 6 years until I sold it and bought another Marantz, and another, and another.......You can't go wrong with them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom