Mx136 & Hdmi

mysticboy

What surprise that the MX136 does not take the digital audio from HDMI, it just switches video. Interesting they sell MVP871 which is capable to transmit digital audio through HDMI and their newest MX136 processor cannot decode it... It also means there is no way how to play uncompressed PCM sound from blue ray discs etc.

I really do not understand why Mcintosh released MX136 where the only change in comparison to MX135 were HDMIs which are not of any reasonable use :(

-mystiboy

What surprise that the MX136 does not take the digital audio from HDMI, it just switches video. Interesting they sell MVP871 which is capable to transmit digital audio through HDMI and their newest MX136 processor cannot decode it... It also means there is no way how to play uncompressed PCM sound from blue ray discs etc.

I really do not understand why Mcintosh released MX136 where the only change in comparison to MX135 were HDMIs which are not of any reasonable use :(

-mystiboy
While not an expert on these two pieces, the MX136 should be able to take any PCM signal and use it which makes it useful for HD audio, however, the MX136 cannot decode ANY of the HD bitstreams that have already been decoded in high def DVD players.

MikeSp

-mystiboy

As I understand it the MX136 was rushed to market for exactly and only that reason. No one will buy a new AV processor for video without HDMI these days.

While not an expert on these two pieces, the MX136 should be able to take any PCM signal and use it which makes it useful for HD audio, however, the MX136 cannot decode ANY of the HD bitstreams that have already been decoded in high def DVD players.

MikeSp

The MX136 does not take the digital audio from HDMI, it just switches video. It has been confirmed by McIntosh tech guy. In other words, there is no way how to get uncompressed PCM signal to the machine :-(

-mysticboy

The MX136 does not take the digital audio from HDMI, it just switches video. It has been confirmed by McIntosh tech guy. In other words, there is no way how to get uncompressed PCM signal to the machine :-(

-mysticboy

Since I have the high def players and display and am enjoying HDTV -- I also want to utilize all HD audio formats, but apparently it is not possible to fully utilize HD audio formats with the MX136 when compared to the flexibility of HD audio formats decoded in entry level CE receivers -- thus I will need to look elsewhere either for a replacement for my MX134 or an interim piece such as the new Onkyo pre/pro (which even has a Reon processor) and wait out the 2-3 years while Mc creates the MX137. The Classe' high end pre/pro comes out in April and it allegedly does everything but go fetch the beer, but at $17K is out of my reach and would not match the rest of my Mc gear.

MikeSp

Since I have the high def players and display and am enjoying HDTV -- I also want to utilize all HD audio formats, but apparently it is not possible to fully utilize HD audio formats with the MX136 when compared to the flexibility of HD audio formats decoded in entry level CE receivers -- thus I will need to look elsewhere either for a replacement for my MX134 or an interim piece such as the new Onkyo pre/pro (which even has a Reon processor) and wait out the 2-3 years while Mc creates the MX137. The Classe' high end pre/pro comes out in April and it allegedly does everything but go fetch the beer, but at $17K is out of my reach and would not match the rest of my Mc gear.

MikeSp

I too have decided to purchase the Intregra piece while I await the MX137. No way im paying $9,500.00 for a piece of equipment that was obsolete before it hit the shelves.

Does the MX136 have a 6 or 8 channel input? If so, you can buy a HD player that does the decoding already and has a analogue out.

Here are some things to keep in mind on the MX136

The HDMI Video section on the MX136 upconverts any/all standard def video (composite, S, component) to HDMI video. This ‘convenience’ upconverter is what installers find most useful.

The uncompressed PCM audio can be decoded in the MVP871, and played through the MX136 External input, which is totally analog (basically just volume&tone controls).

Does the MX136 have a 6 or 8 channel input? If so, you can buy a HD player that does the decoding already and has a analogue out.

Affirmative BUT--I am of the school of thought in which it is best to keep everything in the digital domain until the very last moment when considering HD audio -- that way, there is no going from digital to analog back to digital even though I am sure that the DACs are good quality in the MX136--it just does not seem like something I would want to spend $9500 on whereas the Integra pre/pro is $1500.

I have to wonder also IF there is as much difference in audio quality between high end and more modest consumer electronics when the audio is kept in the digital domain (compared to analog) since lossless is lossless is lossless -- that perhaps the pride of ownership, awesome build quality and that wonderful classic appearance of the next Mc pre/pro has more to do with the extra costs of the future ~$ 10,000+ Mc pre/pro than a $ 1500 CE level pre/pro whenever the MX137finally arrives. Some of us left-brained types LOVE everything to match, but due to consummable costs of pre/pros...

MikeSp

Back
Top Bottom