the BOSE 501-II's

1967rs

I'm torn about what to do with these speakers. I've been dragging them around with me for over 2 decades, they're like family. But now one speaker "pops" with any volume, there is some veneer missing on both of them, and I thought they've sounded a little dull for the last few years. Dull to the point of needing to use an EQ to get any high end sparkle. These things weigh a ton and I think it would be a shame to just toss them into a dumpster after all these years.

I've thought about opening these things up, ditching all the original electronics in favor of new, putting in new stuffing and maybe getting a sound I like. The grills can stay original or go I guess it just depends on how easy they come off. And the veneer I can fix, anything wood related I can do. It’s just that I’ve been toying with the idea of building my own speakers and why spend the money and time on the 501’s…

Alright, I’m just a big fat wus! I don’t want these taking up space sounding and looking as bad as they do but I don’t want to toss them either. WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE A DECISION FOR ME!

vic

Fix 'em up or sell 'em, there's some on ebay right now w/bin of 100-400 bucks. So no since in throwing them away.

Until I can find the time to work on mine (x'over's need work) they are pulling end table duty in the cave. :smoke:

Attachments

• 08160001 (Medium).JPG
    08160001 (Medium).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 08160002 (Medium).JPG
    08160002 (Medium).JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 182
I have similar dilemma. A very nice set of 501's Series II, they have a non- fatiguing but a dull unenergetic sound, I have a few more pair of different speakers around the house that sound much better than these. Personally I won't bother putting work into these to try and improve them, I will sell them off. These are attractive speakers, but sound muffled like they're covered by a wet blanket, and make superb endtables.

I think the rearward facing tweeter design of these doesn't do it any favours either..

I've yet to hear a Bose I like, and unless you have the 901's they're not really worth repairing and selling.

67rs, a friend of mine had a set of 501s forever that had some issues. He contacted Bose about their speaker exchange program. For not a whole lot of money they took his old speakers in and sent him a new set (the latest series at the time). They even paid the shipping both ways. It's an option to consider.

I converted my older model 501's into 10" subwoofers! The cabs worked perfectly for that after a little extra internal bracing and c/o the drivers to a Peerless XLS...just a thought here....
DC

But now one speaker "pops" with any volume, there is some veneer missing on both of them, and I thought they've sounded a little dull for the last few years. Dull to the point of needing to use an EQ to get any high end sparkle. These things weigh a ton and I think it would be a shame to just toss them into a dumpster after all these years.
* the popping is very probably due to rotted foam surrounds - fixable.

* since pretty much all the (new at the time) Bose speakers I've heard have had a rather sparkly quality, I'll bet the dullness is most probably due to the crossovers' capacitors deteriotrating over the years and preventing all the receiver's signal from reaching the tweeters. These are easily fixable too, especially if you know how to solder.

* rearward facing tweeter: this is the only drawback to speaker designs like this i.e. the speaker has to be placed in a specific location so that particular tweeter can bounce its sound off the correct combination of walls & then finally make it to the listener. If not, the speaker system as a whole will probably take on a less-than-sparkly quality. Plus the fact the 501's tweeters are so close to the floor doesn't help either & so both tweeters' output can easily end up being absorbed by nearby furniture, and the carpet.

BTW: if these are the 501s with the striped grill cloth, personally speaking not exactly the most bee-yu-ti-ful design around ;), here's your chance to update their styling if you want. And since that cube shape with its walnut(?) veneer is pretty "timeless" looking, using the creme or oatmeal colored cloth many 60s and 70s speakers used I think would make them look quite nice.

I converted my older model 501's into 10" subwoofers! The cabs worked perfectly for that after a little extra internal bracing and c/o the drivers to a Peerless XLS...just a thought here....
DC

Damn good idea DC :thmbsp:, I think I will adjust my thoughts on these. And right where they are sitting would be a good place for some subs in the cave.

Something interesting...

I did a search looking for a previous similar question and somebody responded 'why not just call the company for the schematic'. So i did that and today they e-mailed me with the service manual attached.

Here is the interesting part:
Thank you for your inquiry.

What, specifically, is the problem you are experiencing with the speakers ? I have attached a copy of the service manual. The woofer, however, is no longer available for this model.

Replacement parts are no longer available for Bose® 501® speakers. But you may trade your old 501 speakers for a brand new set of Acoustimass® 5 Series III speakers for $225 (US dollars). State and local taxes may apply. The new speakers are available in black or white, and come with a five-year limited warranty. All prices include the cost of shipping the new system to you.

If you'd like to exchange your speakers, please email us the following:
Your daytime telephone number
UPS shipping address
Your color choice for the new system

Bose will send you return shipping instructions, including a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number. Replacement systems are delivered about 4 to 6 weeks after Bose receives your old system.

Offers and prices are subject to change without notice. These prices are available to original owners, and are valid in the contiguous 48 states. Customers in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands may participate in the exchange offer, but will pay a $50 shipping charge if ordering the Acoustimass 5 Series III system. If you live elsewhere, please visit the Bose website for information on purchasing Bose products: http://global.bose.com/.

Note: These prices are valid for 90 days from the date of this communication. All exchanges are final.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Barry Rossen
Product and Technical Support Team

These new are $399 so this is a price break. Makes me curious what they do with these old ones once they get them back. Can I assume the RMA is postage paid? And, I'm the second owner not the original-how much of a problem is that?

Thoughts?

vic

Bose has a similar offer for most of their old products. It's only a good deal if you can't repair the old ones, and you want a new Acoustimass. Those old 501s are much better than the Acoustimass. You can probably fix them for less than $225, even if you have someone else do the work. I'm sure they will just throw away the old speakers if you return them to Bose.

If you haven't taken the grills off yet, you should. They probably just need new foam surrounds.

I picked up a pair of 501 series 3 at a thrift store a few months back. When I first tried them, I thought they sounded pretty muffled also. I found that removing the grilles makes a big improvement in the sound. The grille cloth is far too thick to be anywhere near "acoustically transparent". They're more like covering the speakers in a piece of carpet. I'd say get 'em refoamed as well. They definitely sound better than Bose's newer stuff.

I think RadShak1251 pegged it; the woofers need refoamed, and the crossover caps need replaced.
You can get diy foam kits and new caps at Parts express for about $30.
In the unlikely event the the thermally variable tweeter protection resistors (lamps) are bad, they are still available from Bose for about $3 each.
Properly functioning 501s actually sound pretty decent and they're relatively efficient, too.

I guess if the tweeters play at all, then the lamps are still good. If they're bad, that would explain why it sounds like they are being played through a wet blanket.

Back
Top Bottom