Record Cleaning Solutions....Which one?

BaggedLancer

So I've been trying to do a little searching on the forum here and it seems like everyone seems to be using a different cleaning solution, whether it be a store bought premixed solution, a concentrated store bought solution, or something completely mixed from a DIY recipe.

What does everyone here use?
What do you like about it?

Some people say to use no solutions with any type of alcohol in it yet I see many people use them with great results....any disadvantages to alcohol?

Lastly, I built a DIY RCM and would like a solution that isn't too expensive so I can keep it in larger quantities.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance. :music::thmbsp:

My DIY solution is inexpensive and effective.

2 parts distilled water
1 part 91% isopropyl alchohol
several drops of Photo-Flo

followed by straight distilled water and then vacuumed off the record.

Other people use several drops of dishwashing soap (instead of Photo-Flo).

Disadvantages to using alchohol? I haven't found any yet after cleaning thousands of LPs.

You should NOT use alchohol on shellac discs. For cleaning 78s, I use distilled water or a first wash with lukewarm soapy water and a shoebrush for the really filthy ones.

I've heard the "Audio Intelligent" stuff is supposed to be the best, but it's very expensive. I just ordered the three step "Ultimate Kit", but it will be reserved for special albums. I have been using the VPI 1 oz concentrate with a gallon of distilled water. I don't mess around with "home brews", probably just because I'm lazy.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=79

2 parts distilled water

Disadvantages to using alchohol? I haven't found any yet after cleaning thousands of LPs.

You should NOT use alchohol on shellac discs. For cleaning 78s, I use distilled water or a first wash with lukewarm soapy water and a shoebrush for the really filthy ones.

I use this same mixture but with the dishwashing soap. Works very nicely and is dirt cheep. Just don't get it on the labels.

2 parts distilled water

I agree 100%. The only difference for me is three parts water to one alcohol.
I read a lot of people shying away from the home made stuff, but I believe that the key to good, thorough cleaning is lots of solution and rinse. Perhaps even multiple cleanings. I could never afford the store bought stuff the way I pour it on.

Some of us commit the ultimate blasphemy and use Windex, a new paint pad and rinse with distilled water.

I use the VPI 1oz solution to 1 gallon of distilled water (from the supermarket for about $1). I was told by Mike at VPI to add 16oz of Iso-alch. (he said the alch helps reduce surface tension when spreading the cleaner) as they can't ship it with alch. in it. I just refill the dispenser that came with my VPI, and it goes a long way for the total investment of less than $20. I am half way through the gallon I mixed in November and have probably cleaned over 100 records....and I really slop it on (and make a mess).

James R.

I assume iso alcohol is available at walmart and other fine retailers? :)

All I could find in my cabinet is rubbing alcohol which I know I've read not to use so I won't be using that.

Does anyone know the difference between photo-flo and dishwashing soap?

I use the homemade solution as well. I got a plastic tipped squeeze bottle with oz markings on the side to make mixing and dispensing easy.

2 Ounces - 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)
6 ounces - deionized (DI) water (not generally available...use the cleanest water you can get - distilled, double distilled, etc whatever you can get that is the cleanest)
1 drop - dish soap

I had used photo flow but heard that it could leave residue. Honestly, I never noticed that but I decided to try the dish soap and it seemed to work as well. I also rinse with DI water which may be why I've had no residue issues. You may have to call around for the 99% but I always use the purest water and IPA that I can lay hands on. It's still inexpensive.

I assume iso alcohol is available at walmart and other fine retailers? :)

All I could find in my cabinet is rubbing alcohol which I know I've read not to use so I won't be using that.

Does anyone know the difference between photo-flo and dishwashing soap?

Actually, isopropanol is rubbing alcohol. I just bought two 32oz bottles of 91% for $1.97 each the other day.

If that is the case, the reason I heard it was because it's not high enough % pure....is 91% high enough?

The other 9% is just watter so when you mix it you use a bit less watter than you would with 99%. Honestly it works for me.

I use VWR Scientific's Labtone. See: http://home.earthlink.net/~gnordenstam/RecordCollection/Cleaning.htm#Cleaning Shellace Discs

Labtone was designed to get chemistry lab equipment (beakers, etc.) squeaky clean without leaving a residue. I use cotton makeup pads and webrill pads to apply and spread the cleaning solution. I then rinse with distilled water.

No alcohol is used, therefore it's safe for shellac as well as vinyl.

In addition to the fluid, I use a DIY RCM. This method leaves records silent.

Doug

I use VWR Scientific's Labtone. See: http://home.earthlink.net/~gnordenstam/RecordCollection/Cleaning.htm#Cleaning Shellace Discs

Labtone was designed to get chemistry lab equipment (beakers, etc.) squeaky clean without leaving a residue. I use cotton makeup pads and webrill pads to apply and spread the cleaning solution. I then rinse with distilled water.

No alcohol is used, therefore it's safe for shellac as well as vinyl.

In addition to the fluid, I use a DIY RCM. This method leaves records silent.

Doug

I see the product on their site. Is that an 8 lb. jar of liquid or powder? What's the mix formula?

Phoenix Record Cleaning Fluid with enzymes.
http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml
The second item down on the page. It's cheap-ish and works well.

Cool bottle:
9270%20new.jpg

Maybe?

Many around here know that I use Windex. I will admit that it seems too simple and there is some controversy over it's use. I have been using it since I needed to clean my old records starting somewhere back in the 1960s. My techniques have evolved over time. I now use it as the first step cleaning solution.

I have never seen any negative side effects on vinyl. 78s are another issue. It is certainly better than playing dirty dusty records. So the point is ANY solution that cleans a record is better than grinding the groove and stylus with dirt and gumming up the cantilever with accumulated crud. I my experience, Windex can get you a long way from damaging conditions. I even soaked a warped throw-away over night and did not see any negative effects the next day. Vinyl and Windex do not seem to have any co-existence issues that I can find?

I started using this stuff when I needed to clean some old rock records (Ventures) that were visibly dirty before putting them on my folks new Packard-Bell console stereo. I noticed that they sounded good. Could not tell if it was the new machine or the record? I assumed it was the machine. But, when I took them back to my room to play on my old Wards Airline portable, they played better too. I never looked back.

I found it a challenge to get others (friends & neighbors) to clean their records. I could usually find a bottle of Windex at their house and few old clean towels, so I'd clean their records before we played them at a party or whatever. It became the universal tool for me cause it was/is everywhere. Just getting my family and relatives to clean records was always a challenge - still is. trying to get them to use some esoteric solution would mean more dirty records.

I'm sure there are much better solutions both in terms of process and liquid mixes. But, in my experience this stuff does a good job of getting most of the dirt out of thrift store vinyl and other unknown records. So it has become the first step solution for me. After previewing a record, I'll decide to keep it or recycle. If I keep it, it'll get a more thorough job before being played for tape transfer, etc.

After reading all the positive comments on the boards for RCMs, I'm planning on building one this summer. I have a vac source and a modest shop so it's not going to be that tough. I'm on the scrounge for a suitable TT to build it on. One will turn up. Then all the record cleaning & preview process can go out to shop. That will help with the WAF :yes:

She likes records and helps with the shopping for deals at the thrifts. She's just is not into the cleaning part yet. I'll convert her. Using a better solution will require a dedicated process and place. Neither are readily available inside the house right now. A temp set-up and Windex is about all I can manage with all the other stuff going on.

Maybe some of you have the same situation? I think it's better to teach the kids (and grandkids) that cleaning a record is really the only way to prolong its life and that of the "needle". What I (or they use) is up to them as long as it does the job. :music:

I see the product on their site. Is that an 8 lb. jar of liquid or powder? What's the mix formula?

It's a powder. You'll be buying a lifetime's supply. ;-) Some recommend adding just enough powder to distilled water until it feels slippery. That's where I suggest starting. If it doesn't seem to work you can slowly add more. This method will be way less than their recommended strength. Even at their recommended strength, that's enough to make 128 gallons of cleaner!

For anyone else interested, here's the link:
http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=89030-112&inE=1&highlight=89030-112

I just looked at the site. Boy, it's half again as much as I paid for it! It doesn't look cost effective unless you've got a ton of records to clean!

Doug

Back
Top Bottom