MCS 8330 find

that70sguy

I never thought I'd buy any MCS gear, but these looked interesting, and for $20 on CL, I decided to buy now and ask questions later. They're a pair of MCS 8330 speakers in excellent shape. My initial audition of these seem to be very favorable. Good detail, decent bass. They're a little too much on the bright side for my tastes, but not bad at all. They're also a very nice looking pair (IMHO) and those handles are pretty cool, not to mention helpful when moving them around.

I don't know much about the older MCS products. Has anyone here owned a pair of these? Any info on these and similar MCS stuff would be helpful.

I believe those were made for JCPenney/MCS by Panasonic/Technics. Not at all a bad sounding speaker - judicious use of the tone controls (-1 on the treble, +2 on the bass) can profoundly help the balance.

They look remniscent of some of the TOTL Technics speakers. Related as a cousin, not brother sister, type resemblance.

The MCS stuff indeed had ties to Matsushita (Panasonic/Technics), supposedly to build some of their gear (TTs, most noted), as well as NEC and the seperate tuners.

Rumors of Pioneer and Kenwood building partials or units for 'em exist, but I've not seen any proof, and am skeptical of this.

I'd not be surprised if one opened up these speakers though, and saw ties to Technics or possibly another bigger brand. I dunno.

Those are the time aligned MCS's. I would assume, not your ordinary run of the mill MCS's. I saw a pair long while back and passed, though only because I had no cash. They look interesting for sure.

I accually liked the Technics line of that speaker, better than the HPM line. But some folks here will disagree

I accually liked the Technics line of that speaker, better than the HPM line. But some folks here will disagree

So far, in comparison between speakers that I own in its class (JBL L50 and HPM-60), I would rate the JBLs first, the MCS speakers second, and the HPMs a close third.

My initial audition of these seem to be very favorable. Good detail, decent bass. They're a little too much on the bright side for my tastes, but not bad at all.

I recently picked up a pair of MCS 8310s and would described them much as you have. Imaging is very good!

They seem to have a preference for "smooth jazz". When I listen to the local smooth jazz station the 8310s sound great, one of the best speakers in the house! Don't try listening to rock or any music that gets too "busy sounding". With that kind of music they sound awful. Just loud and fatiguing! I don't think I've ever heard a speaker that was so different with different types of music.

Back
Top Bottom