Cleaning vinyl by hand

cubdog

banging through drywall
For those of us just getting back into LPs can someone give a tutorial on record cleaning. I'm not going to be buying a record cleaner anytime soon and need to know how to freshen up some albums. What type of solution should I buy and what kind of pads, brushes, cloths do I need? Then, what exactly is the step by step process for a good manual cleaning. Also, what type of dust/static brush is recommended for use just before playing. I've searched for this information but haven't found anything that address's all these question. I'm sure some others would benefit from this information as well. Thanks.

cubdog

I just use mild soap wash, (diluted Dawn) scrub with a good quality brand new sponge and finish with a thorough warm water rinse. Dry well with a microfiber towel and the records sound incredible.

I've used some dishwashing detergent, a soft brush, and a good rinsing. Reasonably good results given the simplicity.

I just use mild soap wash, (diluted Dawn) scrub with a good quality brand new sponge and finish with a thorough warm water rinse. Dry well with a microfiber towel and the records sound incredible.

I do the same, even the choice of detergent. Instead of a sponge, I use a flat lint remover that has a surface identical to a record cleaning brush like a Discwasher. The difference is the lint remover is flat and, when wet, sticks to the record surface like a vacuum, indicating the bristles are getting into the grooves. You can also use a paint pad.

Jon

Here's my method.
I have a round piece of plastic with a 4 inch diameter o-ring glued to it that I place over the label, then I spray the record with a solution of 75% distilled water, 25 % IPA with a drop of dishwashing liquid. I then wipe with a cotton cloth to remove most of the moisture and then finish with a disc cleaner brush.

Cubdog, if you give me an hour I can answer all those questions out of this thread, IIRC. Or, you could just go read it. :D

Glad you're getting the vinyl spinning, man! :music:

This does a marvelous job on even the worst LPs. The only difference is that I just use soft paper towels to dry.
Tom

OK, here's my edit, if you want the short version:

Dawn dishwashing liquid is often used in DIY solutions since it is easy to obtain. If you can get some Triton X-100, a laboratory reagent that would be preferred.And yes clean new records whenever possible. In setting the VTF and the antiskating, it is better to err on being a bit heavier rather than lighter. Mistracking can be heard as distortion; try female vocals as a good test. For the Ortofon FF15 cartridge you have, the recommended VTF range is 1.5g to 2.25g. I was using it at 1.5g without any problems so I never felt a need to increase it.

You might look and see if you can find 2 Nitty Gritty brushes and an Audioquest carbon fiber brush. One NG for cleaning with solutions, one for distilled water rinsing, and the AQ brush for using before each play. There are much better brushes available than the old Discwashers.

...You need to use a "small" amount of detergent, not any more than a few drops per gallon of DISTLLED water. DAWN is cheap, and has little to next to nothing additives (which is why it's a good record cleaner). Go to the store and buy a gallon of distilled water for $1.00, a pint of Dawn detergent for $1.00. Next get yourself some isopropyl alcohol (70 - 90 % is good enough and is available at any grocery store). Mix 3 parts distilled water to 1 part alcohol and add 2 drops Dawn detergent. That's it. You now have a very good cleaning liquid that will not leave any deposits or minerals on your record and will have just enough sufficants for the water and alcohol to penetrate into the record grooves rather than just bubble on the surface, and will clean it good and evaporate fast.

Kodak Photo-flo is commonly used as a wetting agent in DIY cleaning fluids. The correct mixture would be 3 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alcohal, and 2 - 3 drops of Photo flo. Don't do a 3/1/1 part as too much photo flo would make suds and bubbles on the record. You only want to use it as a sufficant, ie, get the water to penetrate into the record grooves rather than just bubble on the surface, as normal water would.

what NT said about the photoflo. It's a tiny amount used. My wife is taking B&W photography at the local Jr. col (After being away from school for 30 years, and deciding to get back into B&W photo after 20 years). And was saying 1-1/2 ml (Milliliters) per 10 fl oz of water is what is used for the final rinse in the film developing process. (Just verified off the bottle...) This is done to avoid water spots and allow the water to sheet off cleanly. (Works both ways, getting the water where you want it, and getting it back off)

A weak solution of dawn and mineral free water, which is rinsed off while scrubbing with a soft brush, I use the Last brushes, then vacuumed with a record cleaner leaves no film. I would not use the dawn if I did not have very clean water to rinse or a vacuum cleaner.

Hmm, If vacuuming isn't going to be an option for me, maybe I ought to avoid the dawn? Hoping to get some of my old records out and clean them. Gonna see if I can salvage my roommate's parent's copy of Tommy. I think it had some paint on it, among other things...

You can try the dawn, but use it weak and scrub with the soft brush and rinse and brush until the water sheets off the records.

thanks,
Ron-C

Until you use a vacuum machine to dry your records you will not know what clean is. Sorry, it is that big of a difference.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Some records are just too beat up to keep.

However, I have been buying old vinyl at thrift stores and libraries and have found that most are playable with very few scratches that come through if you do a couple of things. They look worse than they are and I buy stuff from the late sixties.

Make your own record cleaning solution: 80% distilled water, 20% isopropyl alcohol (90%), plus 3 drops of photoflow (or skip that). I found it on the web and it works most of the time. What I recommend is buying an anti static cloth to use with the cleaner. I found that this works great.
The solution was around in the late sixties as D3 but it's the anti static cloth I think that makes the difference.

Sometimes old records might have a substance on them that does not respond to alcohol. An example might be incense residue or soot from a candle. I found that gently washing the record in the sink with warm water and a little dish detergent will take care of it. Then spray it and anti static it.

I agree with your post about cleanning old records and the fact that some are just to far gone to bother with...as for the best way to clean them I have seen and tried alot of the different cleaning solutions (store bought and DIY) and methods (different cloths, brushes, etc...) but if you can afford one (the prices have come down some) or have the savy to build your own, purchase or build a record cleaning machine (one that uses a vacume)...this is the best way to clean up and old vinyl record..after I purchased one some of the old vinyl records that I have "cleaned" using differnt solutions, rags, brushes just came to life after I cleaned it on my record cleaning machine......this is the best way to go........granted there are still agruments about different cleaning solutions, bushes to use during the cleaning process, etc....but the best way to get all the dirt, left over cleaning solution, etc....off the surface of the record is to use a vacume device.......period.
It is pretty easy to do a test comparison, this is how I did it.....I took a vinyl disk that I had cleaned (or thought I had cleaned) up to a local stereo shop that cleaned records for a fee using a record cleaning machine....I had the disc cleaned, brought it home and was amazed at the difference.....I was sold, went out and ordered one.....was the best investment that I ever made. Hope this helps.............:thmbsp:

Another common surfactant is Calgon, a laundry additive. Sodium Hexametaphoshate is the active ingredient and is use as a wetting agent for laboratory particle size analyzers.
Calgon is cheap and should be available in grocery stores and you can add a little to your window cleaning bucket or house spray and not have spots on windows when drying without wiping.

Charlie

Humidity can play a HUGE role in quiet playback. :yes:

I lay the records out on microfiber towels for the scrubbing, and dry with a DIY wand attachment on our household vac.

Last edited:
I hate to link a commercial site, but the Disc Doctor one is pretty good:

http://www.discdoc.com/p14.html

Also, if at all possible, I would try to get some sort of mechanical device. Before I bought an automated Nitty Gritty, I used a Spin Clean for the rinse stage and it was a big help.

Just be careful with adding chemicals and using sponges and what not. The slower but milder, gentler choice is always better than the quicker, harsher one. Do NOT dry with paper for example. Let it air-dry! Always use distilled water, always rinse off with distilled water. Buy a record cleaning brush that is designed for the purpose!

Records are artifacts, pieces of culture which should be revered and handled with love. They're a dying breed, and original, first pressing records are getting scarcer beacuse people have treated them badly. That includes when cleaning them. It breaks my heart!

You don't really need to totally avoid getting labels wet. It won't hurt the vast majority of them. Just don't soak them.

Some early ones (you can tell these by their flat or matte finish) have ink that will run and you want to avoid getting these wet, mainly because the ink will get into the grooves.

I disagree with letting records air-dry. If you wash a car and let it air-dry, there are water spots left behind. I bet it would do this even with distilled water. I would not use paper to dry them, however. I use a lint-free cloth (dish towel).

Doug

Keeping the labels dry is simpler if you use a vac to get the fluids off, instead of a "running rinse" over a vertical record. If you start with the record flat, and keep it flat, you can control the cleaner/rinse flow much better. Impossible to do without a vac. (Making a cover for the label area with a foam seal will also work wonders. :) )

The paint edger replacement pads make good scrubbers, and are cheap enough to just toss when they get dirty. I've also used a 2" natural bristle paint brush - basically anything soft, with small enough "points" on the bristles to get down in the groove. I don't think a sponge would really get down in there and scrub well.

If you must towel or wipe dry, try some microfiber cloths. A few good launderings will get them lint-free.

A simple vac set-up (there are lots of options with a cost near $0 ) will make a HUGE difference. :yes:

I hate to link a commercial site, but the Disc Doctor one is pretty good:

http://www.discdoc.com/p14.html

Also, if at all possible, I would try to get some sort of mechanical device. Before I bought an automated Nitty Gritty, I used a Spin Clean for the rinse stage and it was a big help.

I also endorse the Disc Doctor cleaning brushes and fluid. The cost is not high, and they do a much more thorough job than any homebrew solution.

Having a RCM makes the process easier, but they were designed for manual cleaning.

I also endorse the Disc Doctor cleaning brushes and fluid. The cost is not high, and they do a much more thorough job than any homebrew solution.

Having a RCM makes the process easier, but they were designed for manual cleaning.

I also use Disc doctor brushes and fluid, and I am definately getting the best results I have ever had. They recommend drying the record with plain toilet paper, which I find works well, and does not scratch the surface. Be sure to find the best distilled water you can. I was using an old gallon we had around the house, and buying fresh water made an appreciable difference.

I need to try some of these methods. I picked up a Yes album from the Salvation Army yesterday and it has many hisses and pops in it. I tried cleaning it with a sponge and a mixture of 3 parts distilled water to 1 part alcohol. Still didn't seem to work much better. What would the best recommendation for the actual scrubbing be? I have seen many from paint brushes, to sponges, to other things.

Back
Top Bottom