YAQIN CD2-6J1 Tube buffer, need tube suggestions

mcgarick

Greetings.
I made an impulse buy on EBay yesterday and bought this YAQIN CD2-6J1 tube buffer. I figure, if I don't like it I could sell it on the Craig for about what I paid for it.
I don't know much about tubes,other than NOS tube can really make a big difference in sound,and cost too...
Would someone in this forum please direct me to some tubes that fit this device and a good place to buy from. I would want to start out with bang for your buck tubes not the real expensive ones. I would like to use this between my cd player and my preamp, my Arcam as two sets of outs, so I hoping to have a tube cd player type option.

Thanks in Advance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-CD2-6J1-S...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Found on another forum:

"there are plenty of alternatives to the 6J1 out there, and very cheap. There's the Russian mil-spec version of the 6J1 - the 6J1P-EV. Then there is the bewildering array of western equivalents: the 6AK5 and its military brother the 6AK5W; the 5654 and its military spec version, the 5654W; another is the EF95; the 403A; the 6F32; the CV (common valve) 4010; the brilliant M8100; the list goes on and on. I've heard from those in the know that the AEG F95 is a very good tube - very well made and sweet sounding.

If I were to suggest alternatives, try the military specs versions - 6AK5W, the 5654Ws, or the CV4010, although the latter, like the M8100, is hard to get."

I ordered the GE JAN 5654W, which is a milspec tube (without the W is the regular one), and it sounds great, the other tubes too aren't nearly as hard to find as the 6J1 either."

Good luck!

Hi,

The 6J1 is apparently the same tube as the 6AK5/EF95/5654. They can all be found for fairly low prices NOS at that on-line auction place.

I would personally look for a black plate version and if there are bp 3 mica versions I'd look for those as well. The 5654W are JAN types which are ruggedized versions.

A person should do a little research to see if there are any favorite varieties of these tubes when it comes to their tonal qualities. I'm pretty sure though that any American or European manufactured black plate tube would outperform the Chinese 6J1s. The price for the 6AK5/EF95/5654s is low enough to make doing some rolling affordable, that way you will find out what sounds best to your own ears.

Lar

Thanks for the recomendations, I ordered some NOS 5654's from the Tube depot. AND some Mullard CV4010's from the link Diamondsouled gave me, thanks. They should get here about the time the buffer does and I will give my impressions after it settles in.

OK, Ive had the Yaqin playing for 5 days now and I like it a lot, I use it between my tuner and pre and it sweetens up the tuners sound nice..adds a touch of tube richness and dimension to the sound,quite a good piece,no detail is lost and I believe it may bring out more low level detail. I'm happy with this purchase.
Wednesday my Eastern Electric preamp will be here from Audiogon and I can hardly wait.
Cheers

I just bought one too. I am in China, so my price was a bit less, about $50.00 US with delivery. Can't beat that. It really does seem to boost everything quite a bit! Mine has been running for about 30 minutes so far. Nice inexpensive impulse buy:)

OK,the verdict is in on this Yaqin tube buffer.
I like it a lot,it does in fact give you some of the good things of tube sound,it added more depth and dimension to the sound,it did not take away any detail from what I could hear. I highly recommend it,I did not use the tubes that came with it but NOS RCA 5654
BTW I put the buffer between my power and preamp.
I did not notice ANY "Boost to the sound" maybe better detail.
:thmbsp:

I have a Decware buffer myself. A great little unit. Glad I got it. I use it on my CD player. Improved my sound 10 fold. I like these things. Could use one on my tuner, but I probably don't listen to FM but maby 4 or 5 hours a year.

Most tubed CD players just have a tube buffer stage, right? So with this, you can cheaply "upgrade" your current player.

Wonder how it would sound with a cheap DVD player.:scratch2:

Hi karma people.
New guy here and bringing back an old thread.
I just bought one of these Yaqin tube buffers.
What's the best way to use it? pre-amp-->tube buffer-->amp? Or can I use it CD player-->tube buffer-->pre-amp?
Thanks.
Tony.

Hey tonymc,
First let me say welcome the AK! as for your question it really depends on what you have in your system. Im currently using my buffer on a tape loop off my intergrated amp and it works great. I would imagine that placing it between the preamp and power amp would be basically the same thing. If you are only using one source (cd player) then either way should work but putting it between the pre and power would allow you to buffer signal from any source.

xxpatxx
Thanks for the quick response and the welcome.
I'm just looking to buffer my 2ch music(source-Yamaha DVD-1800(SACD/CD duty).
The CD player runs into a Yamaha RX-V665 and into 2-Outlaw m2200 monoblocks.
I use my RX-V665 in "pure direct" mode when listening to music so I assume by putting the tube buffer between the CD and pre-pro and running the pre-pro in pure direct that it shouldn't take away from the sound of the tubes.
In theory. :)

That would make sense to me. Im not familar with that yamaha set up and if it has any sort of software that would alter your signal. As you said its in pure direct mode so I would think it does not alter anything. My advice would be to just try putting the buffer in line between the cd player and pre and try it for a while. then switch it so the buffer is between your yamaha and outlaws and see if you can hear a difference. Then just go with which you prefer if there is any noticable change.
ps sorry it took me so long to re respond.

Being a sucker for low cost/low risk bang-for-your-buck upgrades, I'm thinking about getting one of these. I wonder if it would be better between my cd and preamp or my Por-Ject ipod dock box and pre-amp.

Any suggestions are appreciated. This would be my first tube piece.

My advice would be to just try putting the buffer in line between the cd player and pre and try it for a while. then switch it so the buffer is between your yamaha and outlaws and see if you can hear a difference. Then just go with which you prefer if there is any noticable change.
ps sorry it took me so long to re respond.

That's what I was thinking.:yes:
Also I picked up a set JAN-GE 5654W and Mullard CV4010 tubes to roll.:thmbsp:

I didnt like it between the cd player and pre, That came to little effect for me.
Between the pre and power amp brought out the tube sound. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom