6922/ECC88/6DJ8 Recommendations please...

cableguy

In Twang We Trust
Hi
I am wanting replace the stock Chinese tubes in the preamp stage of my Bada hybrid amp with better/different quality tubes. NOS or otherwise...any recommendations from the forum??? It sounds very good with the stock tubes, but the former owner commented on the sonic improvement when he used NOS tubes.....I am interested in opinions on NOS (or not) Russian tubes in this category as well...

Thanks

Bill

Generally I say Amperex, but in your case where it's a hybrid I'd venture a guess
Mullards would be a nice change in that setup if it were me that was looking anyway.

Agrreed...Amprerex...Bugle Boys...Holland...put a quad (Ecc88/6dj8) in the pre-phono stage, sweet, so nice... 5 hours ago rolled my amps 12au7s with 1960 Holland BBs. Not as spendy as Tele or Mull but a good soundin tube IMHO
Enjoy!

Amperex gold pinned 6922's and pinch waist and Siemans are my two faves. Here's a page on the 6DJ8 tubes....of course just opinions but I used them as guides to testing different tubes.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8-2

Excellent my friend, thank you....:yes:
I just finished skimming over this page and am headed back for a more in depth look-see. That should cover it and then some.

Bill

Excellent my friend, thank you....:yes:
I just finished skimming over this page and am headed back for a more in depth look-see. That should cover it and then some.

Bill

Of course this is all biased info based on the reviewers equipment ect. I really like the Amperex 6DJ8's pinch waist. A very very very lush sounding tube. I preferred it over the gold pinned 6922 personally, but then again I like lush..............

I've tried Bugle Boys, Siemans, and Amperex Orange Globes in my preamp.I like the Globes the best followed by the Siemans.

I just picked up some of the Russian 6N1P-EV and dropped them into the amp for a go.......they sound really good... I am a little taken back by them they sound so good. They are one hell of a value as well. I picked up eight tubes for 22 bux shipped. They are marked as 10-86 with the Voskhod, Kaluga stamp. (Rocket) anyway....They sound good and are a drop in replacement for the 6DJ8/6922 that are in my amp's preamp section.

Bill

I recently by "mistake" got some Kinda Sorta 6DJ8 replacements, same pinout
anyway but gain of like 22 and the 2k plate resistance, 6N6P (12) of them at
$26.00. They mark them as ECC99 equivalents but not the same pinout, I got
them for a different project but because of there pinout. I'm using them in my
latest amp I built for the phase splitter, which I designed for a 6DJ8/6BQ7 and
such that would work there. These are some of the best I tried in there! :music:

And just like your's, WHAT A BARGAIN! Very Beefy Suckers TOO!!:smoke:

I recently by "mistake" got some Kinda Sorta 6DJ8 replacements, same pinout
anyway but gain of like 22 and the 2k plate resistance, 6N6P (12) of them at
$26.00. They mark them as ECC99 equivalents but not the same pinout, I got
them for a different project but because of there pinout. I'm using them in my
latest amp I built for the phase splitter, which I designed for a 6DJ8/6BQ7 and
such that would work there. These are some of the best I tried in there! :music:

And just like your's, WHAT A BARGAIN! Very Beefy Suckers TOO!!:smoke:

Very cool Kegger...they are a beefy tube....:yes:
I went ahead and ordered some 6N2P-EV=12AX7/ECC83 and 6pi14pi-EV(6П14П-ЕВ) tubes, equivalents to the 7189/6BQ5/EL84M....EV apparently denotes Military grade. I figure at this price if they work like these 6N1P-EV's awesome, if not so much then very little is lost in the pursuit of great sound at a value....(If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for delivery)
here is a link to Russian/Soviet tube factories and their logos pre 1998
http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html

Bill

Yah those are bargains still, which is very cool!

On my order with the 6N6P I got some 6S19P and 6P14P, the 6S19P sure looks
super industrial on the inside like you could run it over and it'll keep on going to.

I have yet to try the 6N1P-EV, I tried a few of the other russian 6DJ8's way back
when and really wasn't all that impressed, but I need to try that 6N1P-EV though.

6N6P is an awesome tube - I ditched my old production blackplate Tungsol 5687s for 'em!

Regarding the 6922 - I was never taken with the Philips/JAN 6922, but it is rather rugged. Make sure to check out the Japanese tubes too - Matsushita and Hitachi have some nice 6DJ8/6922s and they're still relatively inexpensive. The Tesla/JJ 6922 is also a good choice, but perhaps not suitable for phono use.

Back
Top Bottom