Vintage Radio Shack/Realistic Speakers?

tvpierce

I’ve been into audio for decades: since the early 80s… but just recently joined AK.
I have a question about vintage Radio Shack/Realistic speakers. (Don’t take this the wrong way – I’m not knocking them. I’m trying to educate myself here.)
In reading through the speaker forum, I’ve been a bit surprised that many knowledgeable members seem to hold Radio Shack/Realistic speakers in high regard. Optimus, Mach One, etc… I vividly remember these models from the 80s, but never gave them much thought because RS had/has a reputation for rather low-end merchandise. What can you tell me about RS/Realistic speakers of this vintage? Clearly they have a loyal following of people who appreciate quality audio.

Thanks in advance.

jp

I recently picked up a quad of Realistic Nova 7B's at the Goodwill for $16. Two worked and two had blown crossovers and tweeters. The cabinets are solid and well built and they are sonically acceptible. Not the best speaker I've heard, but definitely not the worst. Tough to find drop in modern day replacement tweeters without having to modify, but I've been intrigued enough now to consider different models should they come my way.

If they weren't any good back in the day, why do people think they're any good now? Does it have anything to do guys hearing rolling off as we age. Are newer speakers that bad that we actually think the vintage RS speaker are any good now.

Come on guys, must of us wouldn't have been caught dead buying RS speakers back in the day with the exception of the Mach's maybe.

Now, I must admit that I did own a pair of Nova 6's, but I was about 10 years old and they were ok, but I never considered any RS speaker as a serious HI-FI speaker. And I know most of you felt the same way. So what gives?

My .02 cents

I had the Nova 8B 12" woofer 2 midranges and another acting as a tweeter. The Optimus 5 has the same configuration but I never had the pleasure of listening to them, but they are highly regarded.

Radio Shack was considered cheap only among snobophiles. I regularly had people surprised on how great they sounded. Radio Shack was expensive for me but offered value if you carefully did your research and compared specs. I lived and timed the seasons based on the Radio Shack sales.

The Nova 8Bs had a wide frequency range with enough thump and high frequency detail to make comedy albums with special effects, jazz, rock engulf you. Not like today where they expect you to supplement your puny HT speakers with a subwoofer.

None of this crap where you have to defend certain speakers that this is good for jazz and classical or these are rock speakers. Niche, niche, niche.

I drove them with a 44 watt Realistic STA-250 with Quatravox and rear speakers Realistic Solo 3As.

I gave them away regretfully. I thought all speakers were supposed to sound that good. I bought into the propaganda. More expensive meant better. I was supposed to look for nice warm tones or a certain sound.

I have purchased used looking for that sound and detail: a pair of Boston A100, Advent 5002, Polk Monitor 10B and the Polk 10B is the only one that comes closest to producing or surpassing it with sizzling guitars, thumping bass, and sassy vocals.

Bostons A100 are a tea party.
Advents are a cocktail party.
Polks are the boys are back in town. I would classify the Nova 8b in the same category.

I recently picked up a quad of Realistic Nova 7B's at the Goodwill for $16. Two worked and two had blown crossovers and tweeters. The cabinets are solid and well built and they are sonically acceptible. Not the best speaker I've heard, but definitely not the worst. Tough to find drop in modern day replacement tweeters without having to modify, but I've been intrigued enough now to consider different models should they come my way.

I bought a pair of 7Bs and a Realistic STA-77 for $25 off craigslist.

They are in great conditon. The STA-77 does not have any issues with weak channels, static, or other common maladies afflicting more complicated and expensive receivers you read about in these forums. When I turn it on, I have no apprehension of will it fail, sounds great first time all the time.

The 7Bs have great detail and nice crisp highs and bass for a smaller version of the 8Bs.

Nova 10's are a good speaker! Not saying they are great for hi fi, but they manage.

nova10s001.jpg

nova10s002.jpg

nova10005.jpg

Realistic Optimus 5B was my first pair of speakers. I think I bought them in the winter of '77. Sold them sometime I think around late '79.

Wonder where they are today? It'd be weird as hell if some fellow AK member has them now!:D

Russ

I used to own Mach Ones during the 80's. But the foam went bad and I gave them to a friend of mine since I was moving. I still have my Minimus 7's.

I kind of like Radio Shack equipment in it's heyday around late 70's, early 80's. They were like the unknown place where you can find decent items. I miss their catalogs!

Mach II's, my friend. $50 purchase price, $25 worth of refoaming. They will shake your booty. Don't forget that the Shack sourced their drivers from many name brand audio companies. One look at the components will dispell the "cheap" monicker forevah.

Last edited:
I always like the looks of the Mach's. They looked tough for speakers back in their time.

Those Nova 10's look pretty decent also. Never had the opportunity to hear them though.

I painted the white on there. It was a grey color in the begining, it just makes them look more attractive this way! Plus the WAF!

I like the raw drivers . . .

Lineaum Dipole Ribbon tweeters . . .

attachment.php

Dual Radial Horn Tweeters. . . .

attachment.php

and the venerable Fostex-ish 'super tweeter' . . .

attachment.php

not to mention all the full range drivers they put out

Attachments

• IMGP0002.JPG
    IMGP0002.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMGP0004.JPG
    IMGP0004.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 3,913
  • IMGP0017.JPG
    IMGP0017.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 3,897
  • IMGP0040.JPG
    IMGP0040.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,912
Radio Shack is alright by me.I would love one of those huge 70's receivers.I passed on a set of RS speakers with some beautiful cabs at the thrift awhile back.Regretted it soon after.Sometimes I would like a system that looks very pleasing even though it is not the best sonically.

I still have two pairs of the Minimus 7's and a pair of the little 3.5's.
Wish I could find a STA-7 in good shape since mine blew up years ago.

Say what you want about Radio Shack, but their speakers were good values. You got a lot of speaker for the money, and a lot better than the typical mass market stuff. At one time it was said that Radio Shack sold more speakers than anyone else. I can believe it.

Yes, some were cheap. But most all were well very well made and well designed for their price point. Yes, it did look to me as if they put some actual effort into the design of each speaker. If you had $100 to spend on speakers, I doubt you could do better than spend that $100 at the Shack.

Were there better speakers around? You bet! But you'd certainly pay more.

I still have respect for their speakers.

I wasn't even remotely into hi-fi when the Nova-5's came out. I recently found a pair for $6.99 and thought they would be a great refoam project. This was my first refoam so I thought if I made a mistake it was not a big deal. I found a set of surrounds of the Bay for $6.50 shipped. Hooked them up after they were refoamed and I was pleasantly suprised. I had very low expectations but they are a great rock speaker. They also have good detail and bass response. Very well constructed cabinets. Just my 2 cents.

The Radio Shack receiver STA-2100 is one of the best made. Their Minimus 7's are well sought after even today and their Elac Miracord TT's rivaled the Duals of the same era.

I have had many Minimus 7s over the years and now own a set of Mach II as well as a set of Optimus T-120. I love these speakers. I will not pass another set of any Radio Shack speakers if I can help it.

Mach II's, my friend. $50 purchase price, $25 worth of refoaming. They will shake your booty. Don't forget that the Shack sourced their drivers from many name brand audio companies. One look at the components will dispell the "cheap" monicker forevah.

The pair I saved from the thrift store are being delivered to my father-in-law today. I foamed them, oiled the cabinets and just cleaned them up. I really got a kick out of them but some things needed to move out. He'll love them. It's a tired expression but rarely more appropriate: they don't make um like that anymore. They really will rock the house.

Take care,

Ed

Back
Top Bottom