Does anyone else have RtR Speakers?

huntingskeet

I first became acquainted with RtR speakers (West Coast sound) back in mid 70's. My friend had a pair of 280's and I eventually opted for the HPR-12 Magnums, which feature a 12" woofer and 12" passive radiator, midrange, two dome tweeters and a piezo super-tweeter. I sold the originals back in late 80's in downsize inspired by my wife, but recently acquired another set in mint condition both sonically and cosmetically. They have a good overall sound to them, are very efficient and loud, and produce exceptional bass!!

I'm curious to know if anyone else uses these speakers, or any of RtR's other old vintage product lines.

Gary

I grew up with my dad's pair of those same Magnums on a Mac1900, and refurbed them for him a year or two ago (took forever to find a pair of those 16ohm peerless cone tweeters.
I love those speakers. Good, low bass, fairly efficient, and the high end doesn't sound terribly "west coast" to me. I'd pick up a pair in a second. Not sure where I'd find room for them, but I stand by that statement.
I've also rehabbed another couple pairs, one having a 10", 12" passive, and that philips dome tweeter. They're a bit brighter, bass rolls off earlier, but still a really nice speaker. In fact, I think both pairs of RtRs are set up on Dad's Mac.
I'd love to get a listen to those 280s, or the electrostatic array.

Hunting-

See my earlier thread. There are a couple of members here that also have Rtr's. I got my RtR's series IV's last summer and I was impressed with their sound. RTR is mostly known for their drivers used in other speakers than their own speakers but not a bad sounding speaker IMO.

I am currently using the RtR's as my mains in my HT set-up because they image so well and produce bass so I can let the sub work on they real lows. I just passed on a pair of bookshelf RtR's which i am kind of kicking myself over because they would have made a good pair of surrounds I think.

Enjoy yours and post some pics.

I owned the RtR 280's in the 70's, literally burned one up, tooo much power. Speakers on three sides with downward fireing woofer. Here are pics of the RtR hybrids I use now as my main speakers. I love em. I think these were protoypes the RtR guys made, I've never seen another pair.

Attachments

• RtR 1.jpg
    RtR 1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 867
  • RtR Base 1.jpg
    RtR Base 1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 600
Pics of my RtR's

Here are some pics of my HPR-12's guys.

Attachments

• DSC02303.JPG
    DSC02303.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC02304.JPG
    DSC02304.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC02305.JPG
    DSC02305.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC02306.JPG
    DSC02306.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 374
I have a pair of the 180Ds... and they'll be a pair of speakers that you'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers long after I'm gone! :yes: :)

Scott

Picked up a pair of RtR Series III's at the GW for $10.49 last night. They were $14.99 on Sunday, but didn't know anything about them, so waited until I found out here that they were considered decent. Went back yesterday and they were 30% off. Haven't hooked them up yet. Still playing with the Realistic Mach II's I picked up on Sunday.

I found a pair of 260s (I think?) last year. Currently using in a second set up.
They have the tweets on on both sides of the speaker. Sound darn good. Will eventualy move into a ht set up as the mains. Bass is darn good.

RtR's

Hey Ashfan - I too have a set of RtR Series III's, mine are the model 2's of the series. I got them for $9.99 plus shipping on Ebay. They are a small floor/large bookshelf design three-way speakers. I have them hooked up in my family room and run them with a subwoofer. The HPR-12's are in my "Mancave" downstairs and are part of my main system, I'm driving them with a Onkyo A-9555 amp.

Those HPR's look very interesting. How do the sound?

I really think I am going to try and find another pair of RtR's for my surrounds and go for a complete RtR surround sound set-up. I really am amazed at how well my MAAC on my Pioneer set the Series IV's up as my mains. Very good imaging almost to the point I could do w/o a center channel. These speakers seem to be very well suited for HT.

I have a set of RTR 280DR'S, I love them. Sweet sounding speakers to me.
I got them from the original owner who purchased them in 1971 @ $500.00 each.
When I was young (1972-73) a friend of mine had a set of RTR speakers he claimed he had ordered custom built @ $1000.00 ea. They looked just like and were set up just like the 280DR'S except they had four 15" woofers instead of four 10" with bigger cabinets. All I remember is and they came up to my chest and I am 6 ft tall. They shook the whole house when he cranked them up in the basement.
I have searched in vain to find any solid info or product line for 1970 thru 1980, it seems a bit hopeless. I only find forum posts here and there.

I understand there is a review of the RTR 280DR's in Audio magazine November 1973 issue, although I am yet to get a copy in my hands.

It seems alot of less then fair opinons of RTR speakers are based on RTR after BIC owned the name.
If a set of RTR speakers dated prior to the change in ownership were judged I beleive most anyone would provide a positive review of RTR pre BIC.
The RTR'S after BIC took over the name seem to be standard box design, more industrial type bang for your buck speakers to me. Nothing bad to say about RTR from me ...........I'll take any of 'em,.... but I would hunt for the old original early 70's designs & kill to get that custom set my friend had.
Glad to meet some RTR fans !

I say forget about price, forget about what you read, forget about what other's said, stand back, listen, if it sounds good to YOU that's all that matters.

Hey Ashfan - I too have a set of RtR Series III's, mine are the model 2's of the series. I got them for $9.99 plus shipping on Ebay. They are a small floor/large bookshelf design three-way speakers. I have them hooked up in my family room and run them with a subwoofer. The HPR-12's are in my "Mancave" downstairs and are part of my main system, I'm driving them with a Onkyo A-9555 amp.

That's what I bought. Still haven't hooked them up. Doing research on RtR's last Sunday I realize that I have another pair. The are Series IV's, Model C. I bought them several years ago at the thrifts for $15.00, before I got into the vintage thing, because they seemed pretty solid and I needed a a new pair of speakers for the HT. There is nothing on them to ID the manufacturer. They were pretty nice, but the foam around the woofers gave out after about 6 months. I stuck them in the back of the basement. Once I found AK, I kept thinking I should pull them out and take a picture and ask if anyone could ID them. They were nice enough sounding that someday I will try and refoam/recloth the woofers.

Just picked up a Series III set from a garage sale down the street, they are going to need a bit of work though. . .

0405081508.jpg
0405081509.jpg

0405081140.jpg

Those HPR's look very interesting. How do the sound?

I really think I am going to try and find another pair of RtR's for my surrounds and go for a complete RtR surround sound set-up. I really am amazed at how well my MAAC on my Pioneer set the Series IV's up as my mains. Very good imaging almost to the point I could do w/o a center channel. These speakers seem to be very well suited for HT.
I am very pleased with my HPR's, good bass and overall pleasing sound. Of course there is some nostalgic value as well, as I originally had a set like these back in mid 70's, which prompted me to find these a few months back.

Justrideit - looking forward to the review ! I loved my 280's. Any of the Rtr's PRIOR to BIC buying the name are good to very, very good. It was a California company but surprisingly quite a few guys had RtR's in Minneapolis in the 70's. I drove mine with a Dynaco 70, then a Marantz 2275. Most people I knew drove them with Crown DC300's or Phase Linear 400's ($$$ at the time). I couldn't afford the add on electrostatics at the time but they did make the very good 280's an incredible speaker system.

BTW - Don't mean to hijack this thread away from the original poster.

Just picked up a Series III set from a garage sale down the street, they are going to need a bit of work though. . .

0405081508.jpg
0405081509.jpg

0405081140.jpg

There's a set of those exact speakers for sale on Detroit CL currently:
**NO AUCTION LINKS PERMITTED OUTSIDE OF DOLLARS AND SENSE.** -Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very pleased with my HPR's, good bass and overall pleasing sound. Of course there is some nostalgic value as well, as I originally had a set like these back in mid 70's, which prompted me to find these a few months back.

I was curious because they looked interesting and a CL a within driving distance had them for $50. I asked the seller if they were still available but got no response.

I just think it would be interesting to have my HT set up with RtR's since they are kind of rocker speakers that I think would serve well for HT.

Back
Top Bottom