Project One DR-115

Jonesy09

What's the deal with this deck? From the limited information I've seen so far it sounds like it's a made-in-Japan model. Is it any good? I just picked one up and am wondering what I'm dealing with here.

Maybe pics will help....

He was origianlly asking $25 and listed it as working. He later said it was not working as he stated in the ad. I thought he decided to pull the as and re-list with a higher price but when I said I might still be interested he said just come get it, along with the 30 or so records they didn't want anymore. So it did end up costing me $40 in gas but not a bas haul for nothing out-of-pocket.

The belt was snapped but the platter turns nice and freely with no noise. Everything else seems to function as it should, or at least as much as I can tell without haveing a belt, or playing a record. The stylus seems shot and from what I've been able to gather acutex is basically out of business anyway.

So I was thinking about a replacement belt from lpgear (anyone bought from them?) and an Ortofon Super OM10. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Never heard of it, but looks well thought out and put together cleanly. Likely to be a decent table. I'd sure spend some time and effort on it :)

I'd try Turntableneedles.com for the belt. On small items that will go regular postage, they have no shipping fees :) While you are there, jump over to the needle/styli section and see if they have an inexpensive Japanese copy stylus for the Acutex. May not be a great cartridge, but a generic stylus will give you a chance to test "as is" and give you a spare working cartridge (if it is working?) for thrift store vinyl and such, or when you go to sell?

That'll also come with free shipping if I guess right. Nothing wrong with LPGear. They have some great stuff. But why pay shipping if not needed for test pieces?

If the TT works well after lube and belt (I'd look over the center spindle bearing and maybe add a drop of oil or two?), it might surprise you. If not, you can sell a runner for more than you have in it :)

If it does work well, then I'd start thinking better cartridge. I agree that an OM would look good on the end of that arm. OM10 is a good starting place. I just got a Japanese copy of the OM stylus from them that blew me away. Better than the OEM one for bass (tight & big) with no faults other than it's sensitive to worn records (lets you know right off if they have groove damage). I'll be getting another as a spare.

So you can do the same and keep your OEM stylus for later or for sale. The number is 541-copy-de. Goes for like $29. Killer bargain as far as I'm concerned. I emailed Steve and he agreed it was a Jico. He buys from a broker, and he's still trying to track down the original Jico info.

It seems this is not very interesting but I thought I'd share my recent development.....

I don't know why this took me a couple weeks but I suddenly realized today that I could use my old belt from the Pioneer on the Project. I ordered a new one for the PL-112D even though the old one was still intact. The platters and motor spindles on the two decks are similar but the flange on the Project is a little wider, which snugged right up versus being slack on the Pioneer. I'm sure it's not like having a new belt, but the platter got right up to speed and I was able to check to operation of the table.

I only played the records I got from the former owner as they had already been subject to the worn stylus of the Acutex but it seems like it's worth putting a new cart on. After some more checking I'm thinking of http://www.fullcompass.com/product/230915.html as I can pick it up locally and is fairly cost effective. If that sounds good maybe I'll get into the Ortofon.

Too bad, there was a guy selling the equivalent AT92E on ebay for $25 BIN shipped. He's got an open package one now for even less, but it's an auction.

Well, Project/One was a great attempt for a store brand to compete with the name brands, and there is much debate as to whom made these units for the store, but rest assured these units were made by good players in the market and while you might not realize the resale value that these units should have but owning several units of this brand I can say that these are a great value for the price you will pay to get these units and get them working.

Back
Top Bottom