• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Very impressed with Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna

dew042

Honky Tonk Hero
I've heard a bunch of varying reviews of this antenna, but I thought I would share with you my experience this past week.

I live in an urban area, Minneapolis, and have two serviced/aligned tuners, my analog Pioneer TX-9500, and the digital Pioneer F-90. I have one public radio music station that is 22 miles from me that I always get floor noise with a reasonably strong signal, and intermittently I get cut outs on both tuners from every antenna I have tried. I've tried a number of solutions, both DIY and store bought, indoor and outdoor, omnidirectional and directional. About the only thing I have not tried was a YAGI on the roof. My thoughts are that I get a lot of bounced signals and multi-path issues that especially cause problems with my F-90 digital tuner.

Long story short -- I bought the ST-2 last week and installing it in the middle of my house, inside stucco no less and I am getting perfect reception now. The strength on the distant public radio station sits and 5+ up from the normal 4 signal I was getting previously and most of all -- the cut out issues on both tuners are gone.

While I don't think this is be-all-end-all in antennas, its certainly seems to be good at being selective in a difficult area for solid reception like Northeast Minneapolis.

dew.
 
Register to hide this ad
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm

fmantenna-st2.jpg
Certainly looks to be a quality product.
 
Long story short -- I bought the ST-2 last week and installing it in the middle of my house, inside stucco no less and I am getting perfect reception now. The strength on the distant public radio station sits and 5+ up from the normal 4 signal I was getting previously and most of all -- the cut out issues on both tuners are gone.

dew.

The standard ST-2 is more effective with the 98-108 part of the band than 88-98. They make a college band version for the lower part of the dial.
It is different from most other simple antennas in that it receives the vertical polarization of the FM transmission. Most FM stations broadcast both horizontal and vertical polarization.

But you could take a cheap folded dipole, in the same location, and orient it vertically, and get the same thing. You need to make sure the middle part of the dipole (where the signal comes out) stays at 90 degrees for about 2 feet though, and does not fold down next to bottom part of the dipole. If you cut the dipole for the part of the band you listen to, (and that is below 92), the custom cut dipole would probably work even better.
I have an ST-2, it worked lousy for me compared to a dipole indoors. I think the ST-2 is a good weatherproof design to use outdoors (up high), when you can't use a directional multi-element on a rotor.
Bob
 
The standard ST-2 is more effective with the 98-108 part of the band than 88-98. They make a college band version for the lower part of the dial.
It is different from most other simple antennas in that it receives the vertical polarization of the FM transmission. Most FM stations broadcast both horizontal and vertical polarization.

But you could take a cheap folded dipole, in the same location, and orient it vertically, and get the same thing. You need to make sure the middle part of the dipole (where the signal comes out) stays at 90 degrees for about 2 feet though, and does not fold down next to bottom part of the dipole. If you cut the dipole for the part of the band you listen to, (and that is below 92), the custom cut dipole would probably work even better.
I have an ST-2, it worked lousy for me compared to a dipole indoors. I think the ST-2 is a good weatherproof design to use outdoors (up high), when you can't use a directional multi-element on a rotor.
Bob

Tried a vertical folded dipole -- it was the best DIY one I tried, but not consistent. I swear Northeast Minneapolis is like the Bermuda Triangle of reception.

dew.
 
Hey dew,
I completely agree with you. I have the antenna mounded on the west edge of the roof, with the cable going into my basement. I also use the MD Signal Sleuth. The combination works amazingly well. It's just too bad that Las Vegas has very few decent radio stations.
Have fun!
Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom