Have we ever done a group build?

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
I was thinking about a group DIY tube amp project for n00bs (like me).

Something small, low-powered, but unique, designed 'in house' as it were, by one ore more of our resident geniuses.

Then publish the specs, parts list, and acquire the bits, then start the build. Broken down by steps, one step a week or so. Everybody doing what they can do as they can do it, hopefully catching up if circumstances dictate falling a bit behind. Asking questions as everybody goes along more or less together, perhaps tweaks, mods, or one-offs.

End result? A small cadre of first-time project finishers, each with a nice tube power amp. Mebbe even show 'em off online. Mebbe even show 'em off at the next AK Fest.

Perhaps this has already been done?

Thoughts?

Me too, as long as the budget is reasonable.

Well, that's a must for me as well. But you know, with careful and thoughtful design, due consideration given to cost of components as well as 'the best quality' with minimal tradeoffs, I think it could be done on the cheap. Especially for those of us who might have to buy parts over a couple paydays. There's no rush, we've got a year until next Fest.

It might even be an interesting design challenge for our tube godz around here - to come up with a novel and interesting design that makes best use of the 'chevy smallblock' of parts, such as the most common (and cheap) transformers, etc.

Count me in. I would love to have a pair of DIY tube mono blocks. We will also need a pre amp and I would also like a MM phono stage. Low powered, 1-5 watts using used parts or parts available at rat shack. Am I dreaming?

Count me in. I would love to have a pair of DIY tube mono blocks. We will also need a pre amp and I would also like a MM phono stage. Low powered, 1-5 watts using used parts or parts available at rat shack. Am I dreaming?

Possibly. I was thinking of mabbe even a headphone amp to keep prices low and n00bs like myself unfrightened by solder n stuff. But 6 watts may be possible for cheap - from what I can tell. This would power a pair of efficient speakers well enough for typical bedroom style listening, yes?

That sounds fun. I dunno if I'd participate due to lots of existing projects and limited time, but I'd love to watch.

Anyone ever made an amp with early 6L6's, the tall metal ones? Cheap.

I'd suggest a single-ended EL84 stereo amp with a simple volume pot passive pre built into it so you essentially have a simple "integrated" tube amp. Check out the Olson clone I built along these lines. Hard to go wrong with EL84s. Parts count is nominal, which helps keep the cost down. The Edcor iron I used is inexpensive but certainly not cheap. Good stuff!

Last week I ordered a few XSE 25 watt 2.5K:8ohm edcors trannys (they were $30/ea) and are waiting for them in the mail. I've been mainly a push-pull person thusfar but am giving SET its day for my OB speakers. I'm gonna be trying them out on a triode KT88, 2A3, and a few other tubes probably. I'm not aiming for 25 watts by any means, but probably around 8W-ish... I'll maybe make a thread or something later on...:thmbsp:

2-3

Wouldn't a two to three watt SET or Spud amp be a nice first time project for people? Cheap, few parts and reasonably good sound. Plus you gotta get your feet wet sooner or later soldering point to point! :music:

I have built the Hawthorne Audio Spud amp using the 6CL6 tubes - one tube per channel. A kit is available: Spud.

The kit is a complete - everything needed to build the amp is included. Only tools have to be provided by the builder.

I built it with the Edcor output transformers. The kit is now offered with output transformers that go deeper in the low-frequencies than the Edcors.

Power output is about 1.5-2W. Many of you may have heard it at the AK Fest this past weekend.

In my opinion, a very good newbie project, even if it is point-to-point wiring.

Regards,

Ashok

hey-Hey!!!,
I'd suggest a PP 6L6 amp. It is a step up from an EL84 amp, but only incrementally. Iron by Heyboer with room to grow as the skill improves and project matures. No nutsy B+, Class A operation and a good/unique design. Say perhaps based on the one used with 4E27's at the Fest?

I'll draw and field questions, y'all solder and cut metal...:thmbsp:
cheers,
Douglas

Last week I ordered a few XSE 25 watt 2.5K:8ohm edcors trannys (they were $30/ea) and are waiting for them in the mail. I've been mainly a push-pull person thusfar but am giving SET its day for my OB speakers. I'm gonna be trying them out on a triode KT88, 2A3, and a few other tubes probably. I'm not aiming for 25 watts by any means, but probably around 8W-ish... I'll maybe make a thread or something later on...:thmbsp:

I can't wait to hear what you think about SET.:yes: A thread would definately be nice.

FWIW I use the metal 6L6s in a mono amp with good results.

I'd suggest a single-ended EL84 stereo amp with a simple volume pot passive pre built into it so you essentially have a simple "integrated" tube amp. Check out the Olson clone I built along these lines. Hard to go wrong with EL84s. Parts count is nominal, which helps keep the cost down. The Edcor iron I used is inexpensive but certainly not cheap. Good stuff!

For a small and inexpensive tube amp EL 84 would be the tube, or at least a damn good tube to do it with. Could probably get a little more power with this tube, 15-20 watts or so. (In P-P ).

Russellc

several years ago, there was an attempt to do a gainclone amp group build. it got a good bit of momentum but cratered for reasons i can't recall now

I have built the Hawthorne Audio Spud amp using the 6CL6 tubes - one tube per channel. A kit is available: Spud.

The kit is a complete - everything needed to build the amp is included. Only tools have to be provided by the builder.

Looks to be sold out.

One problem I can see with first-time builders is being able to work on (make) the chassis itself. I can solder and I've got test gear, even a drill press, but no punches for the socket holes. :scratch2: Although I'd rather see this done from scratch for greater learning possibilities, a kit may be more feasible. Unless someone with the right tools volunteers to make chassis plates.

Back
Top Bottom