AU D5 Amplifier/ Any & All info. available

darkbleak1

Hi to one & all !
Sansui is all I've had for Amplifiers since 1972
AU 9500 & AU D5. Just 2.
Speakers are SP 5500, same vintage as 9500's.
Nothing else.
AU D5 was a gift from a mate who had upgraded and knew my 9500 was at the doctors. ( 9500 is now back in service.)
Hence my search for any and all info. on AU D5.( as i have shorted some speaker wires accidently + to - on left to right speaker outputs. Resulting in smoke & smell.
Now I have looked for threads (one only found) before registering but the description does not gel with the amp I have .
ie. looks & stated power output.
My Front Panel says
SANSUI Integrated Amplifier
Linear A & DD/DC AU - D5

No Circular Vu meters like your picture.Mine is square column of blue background with rising red when angry (no pun intended)
Rear Panel says Power 350 Watts.
I'm aware of music power versus RMS ( read real horsepower @ rear wheels)
But then in the old days they told no lies(sansui) RMS only.
I've probably got a lot more to ask, but can somebody please fire me up with some useful info.
Peter.

I show two (2) different versions of the AU-D5 listed in the Sansui database; AU-D5(B) and (S) for Black and Silver, I think. It is listed as 65 watts per channel.

The the (B) version has had an eBay sale in the past 6 months ($52 US).

Paul

The AU-D11, AU-D9, AU-D7, and AU-D5 was introduced by Sansui in late 1980/early 81, and were made until 1983.

The AU-D11 & D9 were "Super Feed Forward" circuit designs, but AU-D7 & AU-D5 were not. AU-D7 & D5 were offered in both black and silver.

Service Manual will be helpful for you to try and get the amp fixed. If it turns out the problem is costly to fix, you can consider looking on Ebay for a whole other AU-D7 or D5 thats working properly and someone might be selling inexpensively, if you really like the amp that much.

B/F

AU D5

Originally posted by Morden2004
I show two (2) different versions of the AU-D5 listed in the Sansui database; AU-D5(B) and (S) for Black and Silver, I think. It is listed as 65 watts per channel.

The the (B) version has had an eBay sale in the past 6 months ($52 US).

Paul

Thanks for your input Morden ( I thought I lived in a cave !!!)
My theory is you never go to the work bench to shift that amp. Maybe to turn the volume up.
Probably just go to that computer and play mp3's.
I can understand that.
Nevermind;your reply was appreciated, and i have come to realize that i did not know the specs. on my inherited amp.( and everyone was talking about the same amp )

Beatle Fred replied at the same time as you, and being new to forums, the jpg.( under his moniker ) I thought was an example of the AU D5's appearance. Foolish person.
My original AU 9500 is now back in service and 80 watts rms. into 8 ohms. definitely sounds better than a MERE 65 watts.
The 350 watts mentioned on the back of my D5 is obviously that strange language of Music Power, not RMS.
Not the dream i was assuming of 175 x 2 channels (rms.)
Very clean power though, no hiss or humm when cranked up.
Don't need two amps running straight away, but will now chase story at my repair guy's s shop re prognosis.

AU D5

Originally posted by BeatleFred
The AU-D11, AU-D9, AU-D7, and AU-D5 was introduced by Sansui in late 1980/early 81, and were made until 1983.

The AU-D11 & D9 were "Super Feed Forward" circuit designs, but AU-D7 & AU-D5 were not. AU-D7 & D5 were offered in both black and silver.

Service Manual will be helpful for you to try and get the amp fixed. If it turns out the problem is costly to fix, you can consider looking on Ebay for a whole other AU-D7 or D5 thats working properly and someone might be selling inexpensively, if you really like the amp that much.

B/F
Stuffed up in trying to reply to this thread on my first attempt Beatle Fred, so here goes again.
I thank you for your informative reply.
If you read my reply to Morden re same subject matter this day you will get the gist of message intent.
Am new to forums and threads, but I really wanted to reply to both parties at the same time. ( Failed there )
All input has been digested; access to all performance specs. are of great interest , as would an electronic copy of the circuit board diagram be.

Thanking you once more . Darkbleak1 aka. Peter.

Last edited:
I need to find this amplifier Sansui Integrated Model AU-D5 or another compatible model. My father has is stereo since 1980 and the amplifier just burned so I would like to find the replacement so he can continue listening to his music. Please help me to find out where I can purchase it, via Internet or in some store here in Miami, Florida. Another option could be to repair his amplifier instead of purchasing one, so I would need to find out who or where can I send it here in Miami or in the State of Florida. I would really appreciate if you can help me finding this out.

Thanks in advance!

Owens.

Au-d5

Hi Peter
Sorry to hear that you had smoke and smell from your AU-D5. :worried:
You wrote: The 350 watts mentioned on the back of my D5 is obviously that strange language of Music Power, not RMS.

No it´s not Music Power nor RMS it´s Power Consumption (AC)
If you need the Service Manual or other info you can find it at http://www.obsinc.us/Dep_VOVS_Literatures.htm and if you search for Power Transistors I guess you will find them at www.woodang.net

Back
Top Bottom