building my new plinth today!

tethead

now that i've got my Dual 1019 in excellent running condition (thanks to NoTransistors), i decided it's time to build it a new home. it was given to me resting in a custom drawer unit (had the slides on the side) -of course, not with the actual cabinet that drawer is supposed to fit in - but is overall too big and bulky - and UGLY - to be sitting on top of my media cabinet looking like that. it fits nicely into the original European base that came with my 1209, but i'd rather keep the 1209 in that and build a new one for the t/t that i'll mainly be using, which is the 1019.

just picked up a nice piece of Jatoba (commonly called "Brazilian Cherry", though it is in fact not related to any other cherry tree on earth), which is a very hard wood and should look just beautiful with a clear finish. based on the advice i've gotten, the bottom will be left open to let the rumble of the HUGE motor on this thing escape.

the current plan is to use the 1209 base as a basic guideline in terms of dimensions and the cutouts specifically for the unit (the 1019 fits perfectly in the 1209 cutout, so i might as well just mimic that), but i'll have to increase the height a bit so the motor doesn't bottom out (need about 3.5" clearance with the full motion of the springs). i haven't decided on a final design but will be working on it all afternoon, and will try to snap some shots of the process if i remember. i expect to get it mostly assembled today, then maybe spend a day this weekend sanding and finishing it.

just wondering though, any advice on what to use for feet? i've got access to lots of great hardware stores so i'm sure i can find whatever you guys suggest, so i'm curious what y'all have tried and have found to work well in any of your custom modifications... thanks!

Last edited:
got a lot more work to do tomorrow when the glue is dry, but pretty much did the preliminary work today - getting the template cut (from the original 1209 base, which you see in the top picture) and then built up with extra blocks of 1/4" plywood on the contact points for added strength. that will get glued and supported underneath the top piece, which is actually those 2 big cuts of wood that are clamped (and which will have the center cut out to match the opening for the template). i joined those with a biscuit jointer to keep it aligned, then used a good amount of heavy duty wood glue. should dry nice and flat the way we have it clamped up.

so, tomorrow we will get the frame built, miter all of the edges (top and sides) so it should be as free of visible joints as possible, and do a majority of the assembly.

btw, that is the natural color of the wood, no stain on it - and none planned. never worked with anything quite this dense before, it's like ebony.

P1030443%20(1%20of%209).jpg

P1030444%20(2%20of%209).jpg

P1030449%20(3%20of%209).jpg

P1030451%20(4%20of%209).jpg

P1030453%20(5%20of%209).jpg

P1030454%20(6%20of%209).jpg

P1030455%20(7%20of%209).jpg

P1030458%20(8%20of%209).jpg

P1030460%20(9%20of%209).jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That is going to be great!!

I have some left over Ipe (S.American hardwood) I salvaged from a deck job, and might just build a plinth for my TD-160. That Jatoba shure is purty!!!

the Jatoba was cheap too... picked up a 1x10, 10' for $40. i got a bit extra just in case i wanted to make a solid bottom too, but i'm sure i'll find something else to build out of it (if i'm really accurate, perhaps 2 of these plinths).

Sweet Looking, Tethead.
Would you consider rubbing in a little tung oil for a little protection on this Jatoba? Might darken it just tad, though. Certainly looks nice raw. Is that a new dust cover?
- Mario

i'll just use some sort of clear coat, which will protect it from dings and stains, but not affect the color at all (in theory). don't really want to darken it, i'm afraid i'd lose sight of some of the beautiful grain.

Great job! With a plinth with increase mass are going to couple the TT to the plinth by screwing down the transit screws or are you going to leave it floating on the springs. Thanks Norm

i'm planning on still leaving it floating on the springs. i think the increased mass will help nonetheless, but i'd rather be relying on the suspension.

i am curious though, what sort of legs/feet should i be putting on this? just stick-on rubber ones? i'd like to do everything i can to minimize vibration.

You could try either rubber / spring loaded feet or spikes.

I once tried loudspeaker spikes with my Dual 1009, placing the spikes reversed, with the flat surface on the bench and the spike pointing upwards.

where would i even find something like spring-loaded feet?? i may be stuck with using whatever i can find in a local Home Despot...

Audio Technica makes retro-fit spring loaded feet. They may be available from KAB or Garage-A-Records, or the like?

alright, pretty much done with the majority of it, the last coat of sealer is drying now - gonna sand in a few minutes and put on the first clear coat. also have some corner brackets that will get installed underneath the 'template' part, which should give that plywood enough support to hold up the Dual! i also picked out some vinyl 'bumpers' that should work nicely as feet. won't install them until i'm done with the clear coats (will judge on looks, but probably need 3-4 coats)

anyway, here's some shots from today... all of those miters were a total pain in the arse, especially ripping everything at 45°, but we eventually got it done!

P1030461%20(1%20of%2010).jpg

P1030464%20(2%20of%2010).jpg

P1030465%20(3%20of%2010).jpg

P1030467%20(4%20of%2010).jpg

P1030469%20(5%20of%2010).jpg

P1030470%20(6%20of%2010).jpg

P1030475%20(7%20of%2010).jpg

P1030477%20(8%20of%2010).jpg

P1030479%20(9%20of%2010).jpg

P1030480%20(10%20of%2010).jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking tethead.

I wondered what that wood would turn out like.
Guy on local CL said he had a BUNCH of it in a yard sale ad.
I stopped b and yes he did have tons of it. Said they used it for pallets and the like. Could tell it would likely dress up nice. He only had 8' lengths of 2x6 size or so. As I have no band saw, planner or other way to get it workable, took a pass.

Back
Top Bottom