• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 301 Series 1 refoam - opinions needed

Fletch

Well-Known Member
Picked up some Bose 301 Series I speakers from a neighbor during his garage sale. I didn't really need an extra pair of speakers and the future wife would not be happy. Well, that was that until hesaid he only wantd $5. Couldn't resist and I am glad I didn't. Ordered some $6.50 surrounds and begain the project. The original surrounds just fell off but the gasket was glued on quite well. Plenty of goo-b-gone to get the glue off the basket and some elbow grease. My least favorite part of the process. Only thing missing was the control knob for the direct energy flap and the thumbscrews for the speaker terminals on one of them. Wing nuts worked well for this. Both of the foam covers were falling apart along the corners. I pulled them apart and reglued them together and it worked perfectly.

Anyone know of another material that can be used besides the foam they use now? The reason I ask is my Siamese loves to shred foam, cardbaord boxes, or anything she can get her teeth around and rip apart. A very destructive kitty. :tears: She knocked over a pair of Insignia's off of 2.5 ft stands onto a hard floor. Those Insignias are well made, that's all I can say.

Well, enough with the talk - here are some pics:

Hooked up do to not cutting the dust cap off, I forgot...duh :D Need to make sue I didn;t have any issues.
DSCN0871.jpg


Some nice hardware inside:
DSCN0873.jpg


This is how they normally lay:
DSCN0877.jpg


Direct energy flap - Needed to order a small knob and found a nice gentlemen on Ebay that sold me one for $2 shipped:
DSCN0880.jpg


All done:
DSCN0876.jpg


DSCN0875.jpg


This is my third refoam - seems successful so far. I've played some Ben Harper and Shawn Mullins and was very impressed. Now for some Police.
 
Register to hide this ad
Those look to be in nice shape. I've used some acoustic foam found at Rat Shack and also the grilles from the series III I think it was. They have cloth over a frame. While not a perfect fit, they protect the drivers.
 
Thanks strawman. They looked pretty bad when I picked them up. I should have taken some before pictures. They smelled of cigarettes and were caked with what I believe was years of smoking. They came from an officer from the Airforce.

The cloth covers are a no go too unless there is some type of cloth that is siamese proof. Do they make kevlar speaker grill cloth?

The Mrs. says "NO" to the chicken wire although I liked the idea. Blues Brothers anyone?
 
Those look really nice. i wouldn't mind coming across another pair in as good a condition as that.

Also, you might want to look into a/c filter material. Similar sonic properties to the bose foam, but much stronger, and dirt cheap if you shop around. Only problem is all the filters I have are in bright blue.
 
Get rid of the cat.

Despite the Bose reputation, those original 301`s are a half decent sounding speaker.
:thmbsp:
 
Get rid of the cat.

Despite the Bose reputation, those original 301`s are a half decent sounding speaker.
:thmbsp:

Then who's going to take care of the other pests, i.e. bugs. They like to hunt. Plus the soon to be mrs..does not like that option either. I know, I know..she's picky. :D

As for the sound on these bad boys - very pleasing to my ears. For some reason I have come to the conclusion that I do not like the high frequencies. This may be due to my hearing deficiencies. These still have decent highs but they do not irritate my ears. Hard to explain. These are also very good with the bass. Tight, great range.

The biggest bonus is that they are about half the size of the ones I had prior JBL LX-44's. Too big for my room which is about 13' x 13' give or take. About perfectly square. These 301's are perfect for this room.

As for the tabasco sauce, a no go. I'm refering to the foam grills not foam surrounds. I have a towel over both of them. Looks real nice. :D

Thanks NicoR - they have come along way since I picked them up. I'm cranking some Dire Straits at the moment. Good stuff. :thmbsp:
 
I've had two pairs of 301s, and I couldn't stand either pair. The highs were too rolled off, and the bass was boomy. 201s, 501s, and 901's all sound fine to me, but not the 301's.
 
I've had two pairs of 301s, and I couldn't stand either pair. The highs were too rolled off, and the bass was boomy. 201s, 501s, and 901's all sound fine to me, but not the 301's.

I like the 301s, but for casual, ambient listening. Serious listening, I've got a lot of others I'd prefer personally. But the 301s are a nice "ambient" speaker, and I enjoy them for dinner parties and backround music when guests are around.

Rolled off highs? Yes- I'm not overly fond of cone tweets, these especially.

Boomy bass? Placement may be the issue here, but also slightly inherent in the design.





anyhow, good work on the 301s. As for keeping kitty away, folk use Coyote urine (no joke), but I dunno how unpleasant that would be inside. It's normally used outside.



I'm sure there are weeds, plants or sprays that could be used.
 
Cat repellants-

A commercial cat repellent powder called, "Shake-Away." which features the scent of urine of predators that cats fear- coyote, fox and bobcat.

Also comes in a granular form, which you can sprinkle around the speakers.It's organic and safe.

Plants- such as Coleus Canina, aka "Scaredy Cat Plant."

Rue.

Lavender.

Pennyroyal.

Other Substances-

Dried-blood fertilizer.

Mothballs placed in a can or jar with a cover and a few holes in the cover.

cayenne pepper flakes- however can be an irritant and source of discomfort to some cats.

Ammonia.
 
Thanks strawman. They looked pretty bad when I picked them up. I should have taken some before pictures. They smelled of cigarettes and were caked with what I believe was years of smoking. They came from an officer from the Airforce.

The cloth covers are a no go too unless there is some type of cloth that is siamese proof. Do they make kevlar speaker grill cloth?

The Mrs. says "NO" to the chicken wire although I liked the idea. Blues Brothers anyone?

I just did my first pair of 301s and they were in exactly the same kind of crap condition yours were in. Actually I think they may have been in a kitchen because they were so greasy and toughing the foam made it fall apart.
 
Did the top foam fall apart in the crease? Or did they both just completely fall apart? I know there are some foam covers on ebay for the 301's unless they are gone. I was fortunate enough to be able to glue the seam and they look perfect. I did not think they would turn out. Ayleen's tacky glue worked well. I let them sit out overnight to let the glue set. Just a thought.

The siamese i just like a child. She gets bored and starts 'getting into things'. Sometimes it's just a cardboard box but the other times it is something of MORE value.

Right now she is being kept busy. She loves to fetch. Worse then a dog. So now she's fetching a milk top ring. You know the little peice of plastic that comes off when you first open it. Believe it or not but that is her favorite toy.
 
Back
Top Bottom