• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Revere suitcase reel-to-reel

SkiBumMSP

New Member
I was helping one of my friends move out of his house when I came upon an interesting find.

He had this old Revere T-1100 "suitcase style" portable reel-to-reel deck., which is dated back to 1955. Unfortunatly, it only kinda works. He was thinking of just trashing it, but I told him before doing that, I'll take it and see if I can find anybody that may know how to fix this or of any collectors that may be interested in this vintage piece. It used to belong to his grandmother.

I don't have any tape reels to test it with, but I was told by my friend that it emitts a high squealling noise out of the speaker. He figures one of the capacitors is going bad. He said the unit has been retubed just a couple of years ago, so the tubes should be in good shape.

I was also told that when it did work, it sounded quite good, as well as made good recordings. I'll have to ask him if he still has any tape reels around.

So, does anybody know anything about this, and if so, is it truly worth fixing? Also, any collectors on here that may be interested in this piece of equipment?

Here are some pictures I took of it last night:

This what it looks like when packed up:

tape-case.JPG


This is the front when opened
tape-front.JPG


The little speaker-like thing in the lower left-hand corner is actually a detachable Shure microphone. Also, most of the controls appear to be in good shape, except the "record-quality" control, below the speed selection lever. It appears to be broken (and has been that way for years, as I was told).

EDIT: Found out the "thing" marked as "record quality" is actually an indicator light, not a control. Unfortunatly, it is broken on this unit. Would be nice to get fixed - wonder if a replacement bulb can be had.

This is the rear of the unit, with the grill cover removed:

tape-back.JPG


This is a close up of the handle with the Revere name on it:

tape-handle.JPG


And this is a close up of the brass plate attached to the bottom of the unit, showing the model number and serial number:

model-number.JPG


If anybody knows how I can go about fixing this or anybody that may be interested in adding this to thier collection, please contact me! I'd hate let this either end up in the trash or just sit in a closet to be forgotten, like it pretty much had been for the past several years. I currently have the unit in my possession.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I had a t-100 a couple of years ago and it worked fine and I sold it on the bay. To the point, OK The winning bidder paid $90 for the Mic and I still have the player. I dont know whether you should have it restored or sell the mic and donate the rest to somebody here for restoration.
 
Man, other than cosmetic differences (color, etc), that looks just like my T2200!

Mine actually works... when I got it, it had a bad 12AX7. Strangely enough, it also made occasional squealing sounds... but the major symptom was just low output on one channel. Changed the tube, cleaned/oiled/rubber-treated everything in the mechanism, and it worked great ever since! Extremely impressively GOOD sounding, to be 1) a portable and 2) from the late 1950s! Very open sounding... they rated it from 30-14000 Hz in 7.5ips, but realistically, it sounds like it goes easily beyond that. Maybe it's more modern, better, tape formulations... but boy, it impressed me!

Actually, I think I see other differences... is the T1100 stereo or mono? Looks like mono? My T2200 is stereo... but it only has one mic and one speaker. There was a companion unit for the other mic, amp and speaker for the other channel, but it's possible to just jack-out a line-level stereo signal.

Here's a pic of mine:
 
Last edited:
Hi Ski
I have some information about your Revere.
Cost new 1955, $159.50

Made by Revere Camera Company
230 East 21st 5t
Chicago.

Portable dual-track recorder available in either single speed 3-3/4 or dual (3-3/4 and 7-1/2) speed.
Signal-to-noise-ratio, over 48 db on either machine.
Distortion less than 1% at normal levels.
Rewind and fast forward, 170"/sec.
Flutter less than 0,3 %.
Single knob controls automatically returns to stop when power is turned off.
Dual-level indicator.
Revolution index counter.
Instant stop button.
Two-speed models can be changed while in operation.
Rugged fiberglass case.
Can be operated as a P.A.
Two speakers.
Weight 28 lbs.

Source: 1954 -1955 Tape Recorder Directory brochure.:)
 
Last edited:
First, Thanks Vintage TX.

Okay, that is an indicator liight for the record quality, not a control. It is broken on this unit, unfortunatly. I wonder if a replacement bulb can be obtained.

From GordanW:

is the T1100 stereo or mono?

I think it is mono. It does have two speaker drivers inside the case as well as an input for an additional microphone. My friend, from whom I got this from, said it was mono. He did hookup a CD player to it and recorded a track from it and said the record quality was really good.

May be this thing just needs a good cleaning. How do I go about doing a cleaning?

I wish I had a tape reel to test this with. Anybody know where I can obtain a blank tape for this? I'd like to try to recording something and then play it back to test this out.

Also, I may have to see if there is any local outfits around here that knows how to test and fix something like this. It would be really neat to restore this to full working condition. Truly a vintage piece here that I sure as heck don't want to throw out into the trash.

If all else fails, there is always eBay.
 
Last edited:
You welcome Steven.:)
I wouldn't trow it away, nice little project and a keeper I think.
As Gordon have a similar one and it sounds good, try it first Steven.
If you need a tape to test with I can send one your way for free.
Just pm me.:)
Check locally first for a bulb and see if you can find one, not sure what bulb it is, only have the info I posted.
 
The "bulb" is one of those "magic eye" level-indicater fluorescent thingies. Basically, a vacuum tube indicator bulb.

I dunno what the part number on that is... and I'm not inclined to yank my recorder apart (what with all that about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it)... but if anyone can find a part number, I'd be glad to look in a locally-available massive stash of various tubes, to see if there's one in there somewhere. If it is, I know I could get it CHEAP... connections, ya know? :D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Vintage TX said:

You welcome Steven.
I wouldn't trow it away, nice little project and a keeper I think.
As Gordon have a similar one and it sounds good, try it first Steven.
If you need a tape to test with I can send one your way for free.
Just pm me.
Check locally first for a bulb and see if you can find one, not sure what bulb it is, only have the info I posted.

I would've replied to this sooner, but got pretty busy the past couple of days. Again, thanks. I'll send you a PM with my snail-mail address. That would be greatly much appreciated.

As for making for a nice little project, I think this would be a good oppurtunity to tinker around and learn how this kind of stuff really does work. I am a software engineer, for crying out loud, so how difficult should it be for me to figure this thing out? ;)

GordonW said:

I dunno what the part number on that is... and I'm not inclined to yank my recorder apart (what with all that about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it)... but if anyone can find a part number.

I wonder if there is anyway to get a
service manual for this thing. I bet that'll have a part number for that indicator lamp. I'll have to try a Google search and see if by chance, somebody has one that I could get.

Thanks a bunch guys! :)
 
Steve-
Odds are if you pull it apart, the number for the tube will be on the chassis. Cool find.
 
No problem Steven, will pack a tape this morning and send your way.
Also found a source for a Service Manual:)
Check your PM.
 
Back
Top Bottom