A New RCM Build.

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
I got started on my RCM the past few days, and so far it is coming along nice. Here's pictures of the cabinet and Dual 1009 table I am using. In the pictures of the table, I have circled the part for the spindle I have removed, modified and mounted onto the steel plate. So far I have the spindle mounted, and the cutout for the motor. I will be mounting the motor next chance I get in the garage.

I drilled out the center of the large gear you see mounted to the platter in the crappy picture. Sorry about the picture, but I didn't notice I had my camera set for complete manual function, and just snapped this. I promise I will get better pictures.

Anyway, the motor and the large gear mounted to the platter (with JB weld) came from a bread maker. The RPM of the platter with this motor and gears is perfect.

The plate with the platter and motor will be mounted to the underside of of the slide out shelf on this cabinet. I will rout out the shelf so the under edge platter will be riding partially below the level of the top of the shelf, and the belt and motor gear will be within the routed out area. I know pictures after I get it closer will make what I am trying to say clear. The vacuum and my DIY cleaning fluid will be kept in the lower drawer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dsc_0515.jpg
    Dsc_0515.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Dsc_0516.jpg
    Dsc_0516.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,441
  • DSC_1039.jpg
    DSC_1039.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,429
Lookin' good. What sort of tube/ vaccum arm rig are you thinking about?

I'm going to get a mini shop-vac and put it in the lower drawer, then I'll just use PVC through the shelf as the arm. I will plug the end of the arm instead of using a cap that is filed flat on one side. It will be able to twist and raise up and down.

That looks like its going to be a nice rcm.

You say the motor and gear came from a bread maker. Where did you buy them?

Denny

A $5 machine from the Salvation Army. I'm thinking it was a GE brand, but can't remember for sure. I also got that cabinet there too for $25.. so the both were $30, and they had 25% off that day. Not a bad deal..

A few more pictures.

Cool, I got the base plate with the motor and platter completed tonight.

Yeah, I could grind down the edges of the plate more and made them pretty, but the plate will be below the shelf and not seen, and I didn't feel like doing more work than I needed.

The platter spins a little faster than I would like, so I am going to use a rheostat for the motor instead of just a switch. I don't believe heat will be a problem for the motor since it's not like it will run very long at one time. A few revolutions to vacuum, and clean...

Anyway, Like I was saying, maybe you can see now what my next step will be, to route out the shelf. The plate will mount under it, the largest part of the platter will just be above it, and the pulleys and belts will be running within the place the shelf will be routed out. It will be kinda teardrop shaped.. I'll have pictures of that once it's done too...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_1042.jpg
    DSC_1042.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,368
  • DSC_1043.jpg
    DSC_1043.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,363
  • DSC_1044.jpg
    DSC_1044.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,355
  • DSC_1046.jpg
    DSC_1046.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,364
Thanks Eddie.. I can't believe how simple all of this has gone together. I got lucky with the spindle height, and the spacer that was on it, the thickness of the plate and pulleys, to where it all lined up perfectly without any making it line up. I just happened... I hate trying to make shit work. It's nice when it just does..

OH.. I gotta find a bolt I can weld into the spindle so I can clamp down the record too... Note to self when shopping for the rheostat.. but you know I'll forget the bolt..

I've got the big bits to make one and was thinking about the spindle screw set up today. Hummm. Too many projects. Once I ship all these speakers, get my tube amp running, get my new today $3.00 Dynaco PAS up and running... Ok, one of these days.

Yeah.. I'm just going to weld the bolt into the spindle. Then I'll take a hockey puck, drill it out and JB weld a nut into it. Might even add a spinner handle to it on top too in case I want to do things manually too..

I hear you about too many projects. I also got 3 more corners of my Peavey cab sanded down tonight, and then filled 3 more sides.. sand and fill them more tomorrow, and might get this shelf routed out...

After all this is done, I'm going to get started on my color organs.

SNIP

OH.. I gotta find a bolt I can weld into the spindle so I can clamp down the record too... Note to self when shopping for the rheostat.. but you know I'll forget the bolt..

If the hole goes all the way through, you MAY be able to use a 7mm bolt in its place. Then a wing nut and a 7mm hole in the hocky puck...

No, the hole doesn't go all the way through. It's no deal for me to weld something in..

As far as the speed, I'm gonna guess maybe 100 rpm...

Is the vac noise an issue for you? Having the metal plate and the separate lower compartment you could really do a lot to be the first person on earth with a RCM that has an acceptable noise level.

I haven't gotten the vac yet, so I have no idea how loud it will be. Noise wouldn't be a problem, but it will be cool if it does help cut down on the noise. The motor and platter are very quiet..

I am wondering a little bit about venting the drawer or not, but it's all an experiment waiting to happen..

I'm looking for one of the Shop-vac mini 1 gallon vacs.. I need to stop off at a wally world..

Back
Top Bottom