My (2nd Generation) JE Labs Open Baffles

markus

Master Procrastinator
So, about a year ago I built my first set of JE Labs Open Baffles . .

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114192&highlight=labs+open+baffles

I had cut them to accept 12 inch drivers, and liked them VERY much . . . after a bit, I decided to enlarge the openign to accept 15 inchers, and cut the the holes an inch TOO BIG :cry: I still have them, and will eventually slap a second layer of 3/4 inch plywood on the face to repair them, but I decided to start from scratch and do 'em right . . .

Enter the '2nd Generation' JE Labs OB's . . .

I enlarged the dimensions ever-so-slightly to make more efficient use of the plywood (less fractions also means less screw ups :thmbsp:) Baffles are now 32 X 36 inches . .

I used my homemade circle jig to cut a hole for 15 inch woofers, and have also made my first set of spacer plates to accomodate 12 inch woofers.

Test # 1:

I'd been wanting to hear my big Magnavox Concert Grand 15 inch woofer on OB's, and FINALLY got my chance . . to test it, I used my active crossover to split my ipod signal to the woofer, and one of the EV horns from the Concert Grand . . . the only downside is my Magnavox '93' series PP 6BQ5 amp is a 4 Ohm amp, and the 15 incher is a 16 Ohm driver, so it wasn't the best match. . . I'll eventually try this setup with the factory '150' Bi-Amp amplifier . ..

Test # 2:

So the two mid-60's Zenith Consoles I have came factory with these very interesting 15 inchers . . . accordion surrounds, decent sized Alnico magnet, lightweight paper cone, and a vented dustcap . . . I had used them on some VERY primitive OB's in my garage, mounted to the ceiling, but hadn't heard them 'optimized' . . . in their factory setup, they roll off naturally on top, and as a midrange, Zenith used the venerable Jensen RP103 / 106 horn tweeter crossed over around 1000 / 1500 Hz . . .

Instead of using the Jensens, for this round I used my set of Radio Shack Lineaum Dipole Ribbon Tweeters crossed over at 2500 Hz . . kinda asking alot of these 15's to fill that gap, but the sound is VERY nice . . . decent bass, REALLY nice midrange (thank you vented dustcap!). I was listening late-night, so couldn't really crank it, but they sound quite nice.

I do love these JE Labs Open Baffles :yes: These Dipole Ribbon tweeters are the hot ticket for full-range open baffle high frequency fill :yes:

I still have to sand the inner mounting flange of the 12 inch spacer rings so I can squeeze my arsenal of 12 inch console drivers (RCA, Ampex, Zenith, Magnavox, etc . . .) into these babies . . .

Next up, hit the hardware store for some more 3/4 inch plywood and make spacer rings for my 8's (Ampex, RCA, Jensen, etc.) and my 6 1/2's (Radio Shack.

I also need to add the little 'mini-wing' that attaches to the top center of the baffle . . . I was curious to see how the sound was without it;

you'll have to excuse the crappy pictures - camera's flash has decided to not work anymore :tears:

I'll add more info once I finish the spacer rings . . stay tuned !

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6893.jpg
    IMG_6893.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_6896.jpg
    IMG_6896.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6898.jpg
    IMG_6898.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6899.jpg
    IMG_6899.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6900.jpg
    IMG_6900.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_6908.jpg
    IMG_6908.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6905.jpg
    IMG_6905.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_6901.jpg
    IMG_6901.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 86
cool, markus. i found a pair of jensen 8" full rangers on the bay not long ago, and mounted em up on some 32x36 baffles and have had fun with em. problem here is WAF is non existent, and although i am about 90% WAF resistant, the OB's don't cut that last 10%, so i have to keep mine in our garage apartment for occasional messing about

oh, i've found that the OB's produce a really forward sound image, with a LOT of definition and placement of the various sources- on electronica, you can almost sense the layering of various tracks as the producer brings in different elements...what say you?

cool, markus. i found a pair of jensen 8" full rangers on the bay not long ago, and mounted em up on some 32x36 baffles and have had fun with em. problem here is WAF is non existent, and although i am about 90% WAF resistant, the OB's don't cut that last 10%, so i have to keep mine in our garage apartment for occasional messing about

yup . .. I feel your pain :D

Blair came down this morning and saw them and gave me 'the look' . . . I said " but you have to admit they sound good honey" . . . her reply: "your speakers always SOUND good . . . "

heh . . . it's all good though. . . . I keep threatening to make lexan JE Labs Open Baffles :D

I'm looking forward to hearing my stable of 8 inchers on them . . . which Jensens do you have ?

What kind of critter do you have in the cage?

that would be Hova the Northern Water Snake . . . Sabrina's (my daughter) pet snake . . . she named the snake after one of the characters in The Ant Bully. Hova's interests include basking, soaking, and swallowing toads, frogs, and little fishies whole :D

She'll get about 5 feet long when full grown :yes: we caught her last year at a pond near our house . . .

oh, i've found that the OB's produce a really forward sound image, with a LOT of definition and placement of the various sources- on electronica, you can almost sense the layering of various tracks as the producer brings in different elements...what say you?

gotta agree with ya . . .

stuff like Moby, Fat Boy Slim, etc. really has a 3-D sound to it .... the better the recording, the better they sound . . .

I was listening to alot of Pink Floyd, Moby, and other 'well-layered' music last night, and was getting goosebumps :yes:

today the main room is getting cleaned out (jukebox to the garage to FINALLY begin electrical restoration, most furniture out too) so we can begin DEMOLITION ! ! ! we're ripping the ceiling down to vault it and by the fall we'll have new windows . . . that room leaks air like a sieve :thumbsdn:

I'm looking forward to having a chair, and just these OB's in there to see what magic happens :music:

here ya go, markus

Attachments

• jensen8a [320x200].jpg
    jensen8a [320x200].jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 28
  • lifeofjimmydolan1933dvdr [320x200].jpg
    lifeofjimmydolan1933dvdr [320x200].jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 17
I'll be building a pair of JE Open Baffles too and still a little unsure of which size drivers to get. If found several nice looking 12" drivers that are full range. im also interested in the Eminence Alpha 15a but would need to pair it with a tweeter.

I'll be building a pair of JE Open Baffles too and still a little unsure of which size drivers to get. If found several nice looking 12" drivers that are full range. im also interested in the Eminence Alpha 15a but would need to pair it with a tweeter.
My OBs, like others, pair twin Eminence Alpha 15a with, in my case, an Audio Nirvana FR 8 inch. Some will use a single Alpha per side and the size of the FR driver can vary as well.

I'd want to limit the design to one 15a per side and a small horn mounted above the baffle.

I'm not looking for deep bass and can always get a sub later to fill in the lows.

If the 15a can reach down into the 50-40hz range id be content.

Otherwise I'm looking at a 12" full range by Fane which has a wider bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom