JBL P50 3 Way floorstanders - Any info?

calbear81

I just picked up a pair of JBL floorstanders.. 3 way with a JBL XE tweeter and 2 8" woofers. Rear ported with standard spring speaker clips.

It's made in Denmark and the drivers inside are all JBL US made. I have found a technical manual but I haven't been able to find a single article/review about these puppies.

Would love to get everyone's thoughts?

Sounded great with vocal/jazz/instrumental stuff but the bass was not well defined and was more like a fuzzy thump than what i'm used to with my Focal mini monitors.

Thanks!

better than modern circuit city jbl crap . not much resemblence to century 100's
either . a different speaker.

i heard a similar pair and thought they were very detailed, but it was in a HT setup
(yuck) and there was a subwoofer. use your own judgement.

I've got a pair of P40's, they have a 10 inch woofer, possibly the same mid (205H) and tweeter (JBL #74093, which is a TW025XE and I believe it's an Audax) as the P50's. They sound quite nice in the bedroom, especially on jazz. Bass is fairly well defined on my pair, I'm driving mine with a Concept 4.5D rated at 45wpc.

Have you recapped them? Or checked all the 8 inch woofers to see if they're working, or if they need refoaming?

From the little bit of info on the JBL legacy site, it appears the Prose series of speakers were reasonably expensive when they were new, not their highest end models but certainly not junk either.

Thanks for the information Nashville! All of the drivers look great, the grill pegs were broken but I got most of them back on with some hot glue action last night.

I think the bass is probably working as expected, my comment was just that it wasn't as "well-defined" as my Focal reference monitors (and I don't expect them to be of course @ $30!). Nonetheless, there was good soundstage and vocals happening and this would make great garage/bedroom setup for anyone.

Good to know these were $450 each back in the days!

As far as valuation goes, why do I see them for sale from $100- $1200? I'm looking at a pair that seem reasonable at $250. Can anyone tell me if these are an older or newer model?
-As always thanks!

Attachments

• JBL.jpg
    JBL.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 36
I just picked up a pair of JBL floorstanders.. 3 way with a JBL XE tweeter and 2 8" woofers. Rear ported with standard spring speaker clips.

It's made in Denmark and the drivers inside are all JBL US made. I have found a technical manual but I haven't been able to find a single article/review about these puppies.

Would love to get everyone's thoughts?

Sounded great with vocal/jazz/instrumental stuff but the bass was not well defined and was more like a fuzzy thump than what i'm used to with my Focal mini monitors.

Thanks!
Any idea how old they are?

Back
Top Bottom