Realistic LAB 400 With a Shure Stylus RS 8T

Metalownz

Audiophile? Getting there
I just won this turntable on E-bay. What do you all think of the LAB 400? It looks like it was built with quality in mind. What about a Shure Stylus RS 8T? Im just delving into vinyl, and i feel i did ok with this being my first REAL turntable. Ive had a Sony for awhile, but i dont like the sound of it. This Realistic went for $61.00 on the bay, good price, or no?

By the way, the table is in mint condition.

I'm no expert on LAB xxx turntables, but I believe they were made by Hitachi for Radio Shack. I just bought a mint condition Hitachi PS-48 at GW for $20. Very similar looking & very beautiful - but no headshell, and no shipping worries. I hope your's arrives in one piece. Should sound great for years - I've heard they were high quality.

I'm no expert on LAB xxx turntables, but I believe they were made by Hitachi for Radio Shack. I just bought a mint condition Hitachi PS-48 at GW for $20. Very similar looking & very beautiful - but no headshell, and no shipping worries. I hope your's arrives in one piece. Should sound great for years - I've heard they were high quality.

Thanks Rob. Ive heard they were made by Hitachi, but then other people say CEC or something of that nature, which also made Marantz turntables. The person who is shipping this TT has experience with shipping TT's. Thats why i decided to go with him.

Ive heard some rumors of people saying because its a direct drive, there will be hum. But thats all rumor i believe.

Here are a couple of pics of my new Realistic TT.

Attachments

• 60e3_12.jpg
    60e3_12.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 6364_12.jpg
    6364_12.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 155
I have no hum issues with mine. I also read somewhere today that the Hitachi's had a signal cutoff as the stylus lowers onto the record, and cuts out right before the stylus picks up at the end of play. I always wanted a turntable with this feature. No sudden noises at start/end. I wonder if that feature carried over to your's?

I have no pictures of mine yet, but judging by your pics, the resemblance is remarkable. It's gotta be a Hitachi......very nice!

Rob

I picked up a LAB400 last year at a yard sale for $10. It has the Shure/Realistic Cartridge, but no stylus. I have found the M91ED stylus for like $25.

I have noticed that my cue lever doesn't seem to do much- I haven't checked is its linkage or damping fluid. I also notice thatonce the platter is turning- if I take the arm and bring over to end of record, it does not seem to want to "eject" or pickup and return.

These things are built like tanks- and heavy- pleasing to look at as well. Mine has been sitting since I bought it, as I am still using my Technics SL-L20. I have an itch to either get this thing running or just buy a new table.

Chris

I have no hum issues with mine. I also read somewhere today that the Hitachi's had a signal cutoff as the stylus lowers onto the record, and cuts out right before the stylus picks up at the end of play. I always wanted a turntable with this feature. No sudden noises at start/end. I wonder if that feature carried over to your's?

I have no pictures of mine yet, but judging by your pics, the resemblance is remarkable. It's gotta be a Hitachi......very nice!

Rob

Yeah, id like to see some pictures of your Hitachi Rob. What year is your model? This came out in 1978 i believe.

I picked up a LAB400 last year at a yard sale for $10. It has the Shure/Realistic Cartridge, but no stylus. I have found the M91ED stylus for like $25.

I have noticed that my cue lever doesn't seem to do much- I haven't checked is its linkage or damping fluid. I also notice thatonce the platter is turning- if I take the arm and bring over to end of record, it does not seem to want to "eject" or pickup and return.

These things are built like tanks- and heavy- pleasing to look at as well. Mine has been sitting since I bought it, as I am still using my Technics SL-L20. I have an itch to either get this thing running or just buy a new table.

Chris

Id try to get it fixed if i were you. It really does look like a damn good table, and i can't wait to get mine! Ill post about the sound once i receive it.

Im looking for some comments on my stylus as i have no idea how good it is. Theres no info on the internet about it.

Im looking for some comments on my stylus as i have no idea how good it is. Theres no info on the internet about it.
Beautiful table. The RS8T is the equivalent of the Shure M75ED Type 2, a very nice .2 x .7 nude elliptical which was second only to the V15 back in the 70s. Used styli are a question mark and unless you're positive that it's in good condition, it's a good idea to replace it lest you ruin your records. Look for the N75ED Type 2 or sometimes just called EDT2 stylus. Check garage-a-records, lpgear, turntableneedles.

Yeah, id like to see some pictures of your Hitachi Rob. What year is your model? This came out in 1978 i believe.

Mine is from 1978 also, I think. The TOTL that year was the PS-58 - fully automatic, my PS-48 is semi-auto. I found a pic of another members in the gallery section I'll try to attach it - maybe just the link will show - I've never attached a pic before (successfully)....

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/watermark.php?file=2199

Rob

Attachments

• HitachiPS48.JPG
    HitachiPS48.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 77
I have a Lab 400 table also. I think it was one of the best that rat shack sold. It is a good solid TT. And with the right cart on it, it will sing!

I have a Lab 400 table also. I think it was one of the best that rat shack sold. It is a good solid TT. And with the right cart on it, it will sing!

Since mine came with no headshell, I'm simply using one of my Technics headshells with an AT450 cartridge and an Audio Technica ATN3472SE stylus. It sounds ok - but different than my Technics TT's.

What cart/stylus set-up do you use? - I want to get the best sound I can (for less than $100).

Rob

It's hard to tell from the pics but is that a wood or wood veneer base or some type of plastic? (The platter reminds me of my '70's Sony). Thanks!
Very attractive TT, btw....

Beautiful table. The RS8T is the equivalent of the Shure M75ED Type 2, a very nice .2 x .7 nude elliptical which was second only to the V15 back in the 70s. Used styli are a question mark and unless you're positive that it's in good condition, it's a good idea to replace it lest you ruin your records. Look for the N75ED Type 2 or sometimes just called EDT2 stylus. Check garage-a-records, lpgear, turntableneedles.

The person who was selling this turntable said the stylus was hardly ever used. Should i replace it anyway?

Mine is from 1978 also, I think. The TOTL that year was the PS-58 - fully automatic, my PS-48 is semi-auto. I found a pic of another members in the gallery section I'll try to attach it - maybe just the link will show - I've never attached a pic before (successfully)....

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/watermark.php?file=2199

Rob

Thats a beautiful table! I can see alot of similarity in the two. Its almost like the Realistic STA-90, and the Sansui model 881. Very close!

So, its basically a nice stylus though? I can't wait to hear this thing. I actually think the stylus has alot of miles left on it. It looks to be in brand new shape. And they also said that the table was hardly ever used. Which is good because then the motor is preserved.

Ive been told that many times about it being one of their best. I guess ill soon find out. I wont replace the stylus unless it sounds absolutely terrible. Ill just keep the one thats on there for now, as it has alot of miles left on it.

Thanks - I love it's look. I've been a Technics guy all my life, but this Hitachi just called out to me at Goodwill.......it makes my Technics look kinda bad.......

Rob

howie123 - the base is wood veneer on mine......

So, its basically a nice stylus though? I can't wait to hear this thing. I actually think the stylus has alot of miles left on it. It looks to be in brand new shape. And they also said that the table was hardly ever used. Which is good because then the motor is preserved.
Yes, it is a nice stylus. Just so you know, a nude stylus is of a higher quality--it means that it is both chemically and mechanically bonded to the cantilever, as opposed to non-nude which are just glued on. Today nude styli are rare and cost a pretty penny when you do find them in the model line. Shure no longer makes nude styli, but some dealers still have originals in stock.

Back
Top Bottom