Yamaha CR-820

Uncle Rocker

Hello! Just picked up a Yamaha CR-820 for $5.00 at a garage sale. It has a couple issues.

When listening to FM, the signal meter isn't showing a very strong signal. It peaks at about 20. My other tuners/receivers pull the stations in fine so I'm sure it's the Yamaha.

The tuner and meter bulbs are dead. Also, the unit pops my speakers when shutting off.

I don't have the knowledge to repair this myself, so I am asking is this unit worth repairing and can you recommend a tech in the Seattle area?

It was difficult to rate the FM quality with the weak signal, but the sound is great with LPs, cassettes, Cds and Dvds. It is very authentic when playing classic rock, sounds like the 70s.

I am currently listening to my Denon DRA-775RD, sounds good but doesn't sound like the 70s. Is it worth repairing the Yamaha or should I just stick with the Denon? I also have a Pioneer SA-7500 II amp I had rebuilt. Sounds pretty good even with a cheesy Technics ST-K55 tuner. Sounds a little like the 70s but no match with the Yamaha.

Actually I live in West Sound, so if you know a good tech around Silverdale/Bremerton, it'd really help. If the Yamaha is worth a thorough tune-up, what is the typical cost?

Thanks for your advice!

Definitely a great find for the price!!!!!!!
Worth repairing for sure.
I'm on the other coast so can't help with tech but you will get some responses with help so be patient.
Welcome.

To start, you should deoxit the pots, I'm local to you, and I can do it for you.
Shoot me a PM and we can talk. (click on my name, and go to send a private message)

Thanks for the responses. I'm really looking forward to getting this rig back to a more pristine condition. It'll be a nice change from my black face gear. I can't even read the buttons on my Denon at night!

Hello! Just picked up a Yamaha CR-820 for $5.00 at a garage sale. It has a couple issues.

When listening to FM, the signal meter isn't showing a very strong signal. It peaks at about 20. My other tuners/receivers pull the stations in fine so I'm sure it's the Yamaha.

The tuner and meter bulbs are dead. Also, the unit pops my speakers when shutting off.

I don't have the knowledge to repair this myself, so I am asking is this unit worth repairing and can you recommend a tech in the Seattle area?

It was difficult to rate the FM quality with the weak signal, but the sound is great with LPs, cassettes, Cds and Dvds. It is very authentic when playing classic rock, sounds like the 70s.

I am currently listening to my Denon DRA-775RD, sounds good but doesn't sound like the 70s. Is it worth repairing the Yamaha or should I just stick with the Denon? I also have a Pioneer SA-7500 II amp I had rebuilt. Sounds pretty good even with a cheesy Technics ST-K55 tuner. Sounds a little like the 70s but no match with the Yamaha.

Actually I live in West Sound, so if you know a good tech around Silverdale/Bremerton, it'd really help. If the Yamaha is worth a thorough tune-up, what is the typical cost?

Thanks for your advice!

Welcome to AK!

I'm currently trying to sort out a CR 820 myself. The pop is caused by an issue with the DC offset. Go to the "Vintage Solid State" forum, and there is a "Sticky" that deals with it, tells you how to check it. The CR 820 does not have a way to adjust the DC Offset like many receivers, but the idle current is adjustable. The lamps are wired in series, and the replacements are 14v 80 mA. There are 4 of them, and all 4 should be replaced at the same time.

The CR 820 is a very nice receiver, and worth getting checked out and updated. It's old enough that it may need to be re-capped by now, and the FM alignment checked as well. For the money it will take to have this work done, you will have a great sounding/looking receiver, that should last you for another 30 years of great tunes!

There are members who are Yamaha gurus here, merrylander is a name you will see in lots of Yamaha technical posts, the little bit I know about Yamaha I learned mostly from him!

Good luck with it!

I haven't tried them but Northwest Audio in Seattle is highly recommended by many other Seattle posters around here. You can do a search on this forum for their comments.

The FM sounds like it just needs a little adjustment/alignment. Good sign the meters are moving. And lights are easy to fix.

If you like the sound it should sound equally good with the tuner.

I have a CR-800 and it pulls in stations great and sounds great. After about 20 years of storage, it was hitting about 40-80% and needed a little tweaking to get 100% on some stations. It also had an intermittant right channel but the usual cleaning of the controls and connections fixed that.

But tuner alignment and the popping are probably something you'll want a tech to look at.

Oh and yes!!!! It is worth repairing!!!!!!

I see Doc Hardy beat me to the link... :D

YES, get it working, you'll love it! :music: As for re-capping, I'd check (or have them checked) and only replace any that are out of spec.

You'll find that adjusting the idle current (relatively simple, search and you'll find explicit instructions) and cleaning the controls will go a long way toward making this receiver sound great.

I haven't tried them but Northwest Audio in Seattle is highly recommended by many other Seattle posters around here. You can do a search on this forum for their comments.

Yes, take it to John at NW Audio. He's worked on several of my Yamaha pieces, and knows his stuff. Very reasonably priced repairs too.:thmbsp:

Great score on your Yamaha CR-820! I own a CR-640 and there very nice units. I would keep this one. Hope you can get it fixed. There are very knowledgeable people here who will help you every step of the way.

Back
Top Bottom