Dynawave Monitors

BrandXRC

BrandXRC
I picked up a pair of Dynawave monitors at a yard sale last weekend. Strange square midrange. I found a couple of old posts about them, but not really much info. They have a 6 inch woofer in the rear. They sound pretty darn good for their size. Does anyone know anything about these things...
Picture007-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Very interesting looking speakers.

Here's a little info I found in a couple of posts on Speaker Asylum:

They are housed in a conventional box, 18" x 10" x 9" and are pretty heavy for their size. They have a rear mounted bass driver, the tweeter appears to be some sort of metal ribbon type and below that is a 5" x 5" "driver" that consists of 11 plastic "vials" mounted vertically in this enclosure, which I assume to be a mid-range......Surprisingly wide and open soundstage.

...."dynapleat" drivers, as they were called when first distributed in the US in the mid 80's. More recently, they were called "dynaribbons", and variations were used in some very pricey speakers from Mavrick (Non-speakers) and VMPS, as well as by Sawafuji in their box speakers, as well as their large panel speakers, which used these drivers as both bass and mid drivers.

They seem to work quite well in the 400 - 5KHz range, but do not perform quite as well as bass drivers, which is why Sawafuji came out with the more conventional box designs where they are used as mids.

Initially, they were distributed in the US by SFD (Sawafuji Digital), which later became SFI USA. I don't think SFI is in business anymore, althought the Japanese parent company, Sawafuji is still around. Don't think the Dynaribbons are made anymore either, but they do turn up as surplus from time to time which is how I collected mine.

Back
Top Bottom