Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Vintage Solid State

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Dear Sir or Madman

Replaced my Nikko's lamps with LED's (Pic)

Had posted this in DIY as a LED question, but I thought I would post a pic here.It's a Nikko STA-6060 receiver that I picked up with a turntable. I really wasn't after this, but I kinda like it.
B&K ST-202 Amp
Klipsch Cornwalls
Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
AK Member

That's nice. I put blue LEDs in an SA-400 technics that I recently fixed. They look cool in the vintage gear for sure. Also run cooler.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
AK Member

Nikkos look cool.

Nice pic BTW.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Dear Sir or Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuncajun View Post
That's nice. I put blue LEDs in an SA-400 technics that I recently fixed. They look cool in the vintage gear for sure. Also run cooler.
Yes I read your thread on it. Where's the pics?
B&K ST-202 Amp
Klipsch Cornwalls
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Dear Sir or Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasaboo View Post
Nikkos look cool.

Nice pic BTW.
I have another Nikko Receiver and I like their sound. This receiver came with a Realistic LAB-400 TT, Sony Cassette Deck and a couple of small Fisher speakers... all for $25.
B&K ST-202 Amp
Klipsch Cornwalls
Audiokarma
Old 09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
AK Subscriber

Looks great. I am toying with the idea of using leds myself, I may try it and see what happens.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Dear Sir or Madman

I purchased 100 white LED's with 150ohm resistors for $9 off of Ebay. The seller had them to me in 2 days. Can't beat that!
B&K ST-202 Amp
Klipsch Cornwalls
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
AK Member

Do most receiver have AC or DC voltage powering the display lamps? Do you need a diode it it's ac or is the LED enough(since it's a diode). I'm looking to do some Sansui's and a Craig 5501.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
AK Member

Many receivers have AC powering the lamps.

I have put LED's in a few, if you put a regular LED with a resistor, it will work fine, but it will turn on/off 60 times a second. It is visible (to me). I have bought some LED's online that had diodes, a capacitor and resistor all in one package so there was no flicker.

My pioneer recievers have AC powering the tuner lights, and DC for the indicator lights. So it could go either way.

DD:SX-1250,GX-270D-SS,Sony TC-K850ES,Onkyo DX-C206,Numark TT,GFA-555ii,HTPC,DEQ2496,RSIIIa

HT:Onkyo TX-SR805,ZA SR71,DIYMA12,HTPC

OOS:SX-1010, SX-1050, GX-270D-SS(#2), GX-280D-SS, GX-255,Technics SL-1800, Nak CD-6,INF QLS5,RS4001, Beta20, Seas LOKI
Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
AK Member

Looks great!

I did a Nikko LED conversion last winter. I used the more common white (has a slight blue hint to it) LED's. Like the above pic, it took away the green tint (from regular bulbs) to the dial display and gave it a nicer blue shade. I like the blue better (like the above pic).

I discovered you getter better diffusion of the LED if you sand the led's and I even ground the cone shap to flat. It makes for a more even distribution of the light. Never did notice the 60hz "flicker" that some have a problem with.

I have been toying with the idea of using the newer style led strips that you can get now. Some are even flexible strips. It increases the possibilities.

I also changed out the orange tuning indicator light for a led. It was not that difficult to do that either.

Once again that looks great. YD
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM
AK Member

How many mcd (brightness) were the LEDs?

I am contemplating doing a bunch of LEDs for my JVC JR S600. There is about 10 indicator lamps, 8v, 70ma or so.

I am trying to decide which LEDs to use.

Also, how do you know if the current is AC or DC (whether or not to use a diode?)
Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
Lord of the Pretzels

All hail the mighty light emitting diode! Your receiver looks great. And Yankee Dog, thanks for the ideas of sanding the lens, and using an LED strip. Looks like I just added a couple more projects to the list...
Save it for the dentist chair

- Steve Taylor

My audio gear
Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB View Post
How many mcd (brightness) were the LEDs?

I am contemplating doing a bunch of LEDs for my JVC JR S600. There is about 10 indicator lamps, 8v, 70ma or so.

I am trying to decide which LEDs to use.

Also, how do you know if the current is AC or DC (whether or not to use a diode?)

Your power source for the display lights comes off the transformer and will most likely be AC. No need for diodes. Just find out what the voltage is to the individual bulbs, and use the apropriate resistor on either the positive or negative lead of the new led. A meter will tell you if it is ac or dc, but again, most likely it is ac.

I also bought the leds on ebay. They came with resistors for a 12 volt source to prevent the leds from burning out. I did use different resistors as I think my electrical supply was less than that. Can't remember.

A little experimentation will help. You could even use a bridge diode (rectifier)at the source of your power to the lights if you have the room. Now you will have the dc power. Then figure out what your voltage is after the bridge diode/retifier, then use the apropriate matched resistor.

There are websites that show led circuits, they even have conversion charts to let you plug in a certian supply voltage, your led voltage, etc. It will then compute what value of resistor you will need to use. This link does both, lets you design a series or parrallel circuit, computes the value of resistors, and show the diagram:

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Like I mentioned earlier, the AC flicker is not that bad. It looked a little "fuzzy" with the receiver cover off, but once everything was covered back up, the display looks great. I got a pic somewhere, will try and post it this weekend, but the appearance is very similiar to the original poster's pic.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Last of the Time Lords

I've been contemplating the LED light upgrade for my receivers with dead bulbs. This circuit design looks like an interesting method of conquering the "AC flicker": http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/AC-Powered.htm The on/off switching of each LED should be 180* out of phase with it's partner, which (I think) will make the flicker invisible to the naked eye. Another option would be a rectified circuit: http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-C...telednight.htm
Old 04-09-2009, 06:48 PM
"Too Much Stuff"

scootchu, would you have a record of the seller on ebay. An led or white led search on ebay comes up with a lot of flashlights and crap. I have had no luck finding parts dealers.
Onkyo TX8500II
Pioneer CTF950,Akai GX-S80
DCM TF-600,TF-400 CX-17+ KL Quartets
Audiokarma