• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Philips electronic 212 turntable

audiobach

Bach Maniac
Today I got my self a Philips electronic 212 turntable for 25$ in a thrift store. When I got home I tried to find out something about this turntable but failed can anybody help me?
Robert
P.S. Its perfect condition and sounds great
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a 212,and I really liked mine.I think it has a very unique design and sound,too.Thats a heckuva buy.People here have called them the "poor man's Thorens",and I can see why.
JImmy
 
Yes I really do agree it sounds perfect, and is probably the best bargain I ever made. I am really happy I got it.
Robert
 
Wow,no wonder it sounds good.Thats a very good cart.You can still buy replacement styli for them.Heck,I think they still sell the carts themselves.
Jimmy
 
really? I didn't know I am kind of new in turntables is the cart that important?
Robert
The more I listen to it the more I love it.
 
You will get two differing sides to that same question,but the cart is very important since its what sends the signal to your amp/receiver.Different carts have different sounds,and generally,the more expensive the more info is retrieved from the grooves of the record.Each of the major cart companies had their own basic sound to them,but its had to go wrong with a good Shure,Stanton,Audio Technica,Pickering,Grado,etc.
The turntable,espescially the arm,and the drive system(belt,direct drive,idler)will be involved in the sound,also.Your table is a belt drive.
Jimmy
 
I dont have any Dual tables anymore,but I cant say if your friends Dual is better or worse.Dual made cheap products,and very good products.It might depend on the model,and what cartridge he has hooked up,also.
Jimmy
 
I just remembered that my Father has a dual 701 and he might give it to me. Which model do you think is better? and thanks for the info
Robert
 
Your table is a pretty good one,but if the 701 is in good shape,snag it.I have owned a few of them,and I think they are the best table Dual ever made.Its direct drive,and its built like a tank.
Jimmy
 
Yes I think I will try my best to get it. Why not? Do you really think it is the best Dual? I have to make a study about them.
Thanks
Robert
 
Search out Dual 701 here on AK,then check places on the web like audioreview.com,and you will see that it was a highly regarded table in its day.For comparisons sake,the 212 retailed for $200 new,while the 701 retailed for $400.Id see what cart came with the 701 your father has.I bet its a Shure,and possibly a V-15 type II or III,which is a very fine cartridge.
Jimmy
 
Congratulations, nice score!
My 212/AT 440MLa is in service in my family room system. I have owned 2 Duals, but always liked the Philips better, mostly for its simplicity and ease of maintenance. The Stanton 681 is a great cart, it should serve you well on that TT.
 
Greetings,

Regarding the Philips 212 turntable, I have been using a Philips 312 since the 1970's, if I recall correctly, and I like it very much! It's got a Shure V15 type III in it, and in all those years, it's never failed me, in any way. I had the stylus measured a few years ago, and it's still in outstanding shape. So, it was one of the best audio purchases I've made, as it continues to satisfy me, even after all these years. I think I replaced the stylus, somewhere along the line, but can't remember, for sure. You got a steal of a deal on your 212, and I'm betting you will very much enjoy it, as I have my 312! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
 
Back
Top Bottom