home made contact cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hifibill

...any good homemade switch contact cleaners? found an old panasonic table radio (with phono input). the selector switch doesnt make solid contact -cuts out-...any ideas/suggestions....

The first contact cleaner I was ever introduced to was straight denatured alcohol, which worked well on carbon film pots. However, you can get a big can of CRC Contact Cleaner at any Home Depot (or Lowe's, I guess) for six bucks or so and in terms of peace of mind (denatured alcohol is unfriendly to things like solder masks) it's worth it. CRC isn't as good for tough jobs as DeOxit but it's 'good enough' in a lot of cases and a lot cheaper and easier to get.

For a power switch, I would either find a new one, or disassemble the old one if possible, and more than likely end up filing down the contacts. A switch that is old and well used is a lot different than a dirty pot.. the contacts actually arc and burn, so you need to dress them if at all possible.

The mixing of dangerous chemicals will not be discussed on Audiokarma. Either ask this question elsewhere or use one of the many ready made available products.

Grumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom