ortofon cartridge opinions please

ferninando

Lunatic Member
Contemplating purchase of Technics SL 1350 TT with Ortofon OM 5E installed.
low miles on cartrg.
Cart. sells new for $45. Read specs and not outstanding. Rather big .8x? elip. Other specs unremarkable.
Any actual users opinions on it. Any recommended upgrade? The AT110 sounds like a nice choice. Any others? I have a shure v15/III I can use .
Any info greatly appreciated

The Ortofon OM5E is a lower end cart, while the AT110 is better and the V15III is a much better cart, at least in specs.

However, I have recently discovered the Ortofon carts and I can say I am impressed with the clarity they can deliver compared to Stanton (681EEES) and Shure (M95ED) carts I've used before.

The Shure V15 cart might be a bit too much (in terms of compliance) for the 1350's tonearm.

ortofonom5e....shure v15....comparison??

Although far from expert, on my new pro jetlll turntable with standard ortofon 5e the sound is clear and very strong with no apparent difficulty playing new or "little" beat up records. What i have noticed with sure is a little difficulty with the sh's in the high end..like you need to turn down the trebel a bit. I have th shure 55,91,95,and44brand new. The 44 is very strong and powerful I have noticed. Isn't it hard to compare two different priced cartridges..all things being equal. On the other hand my new AT71e for a cheap cart sounds wow. ..good bass/trebel. Bang for the buck, I don't know how ortofon does it. The v15 is expensive make sure you get the right stylus for it or it will not sound as it should.

Hi,

The best of Ortofon, to my ears, was the original F/FF and VMS carts of the late 70's/early 80's. I LOVE the FF 15 XE Mk II. However, unless you want to buy one NOS from the web, I would recomend next in line the AT120E. It's a GREAT budget cart and will work nicely on the Technics arm/table.

The Technics has a nice low/med mass arm so one of the better AT's (440MLa, AT120E) would be a great match for that arm. A lot of folks rave about the Orto 2M series...I tried a RED and still rpefered the FF 15 XE Mk II far better...check eBay as there is a seller that is offering NOS FF 15 XE Mk II carts as well as the slightly better F 15 E Mk II.

Now, the V-15 Type III...that's a whole other issue all together. If you have the V-15 III already, get a JICO stylus (if one is needed) and call it good. They have a HyperElliptical that is GREAT or the SAS if you want to spend $100 on the needle...

Joey

I do have the V15/III now and it does not need a new stylus. If I get the TT I will give the OM5 a good listen and compare with the shure. I have it mounted on a nother headshell ready for swapping and aligning. Actually I'll do that prior to swapping, as I'll be checking the honesty of the OM5 installation/alignment/vtf/armheight and all that good stuff. Just ordered a protractor to play with from LP Gear. That Technics 1350 is sure a good lookin TT. Cost 350 new. More than just entry level IMO.

OOPS! got me on that one. Sounds better to me now. If it's good I'll keep it. Which I would anyway. Certainly don't throw stuff like that away.

I find the OM5E quite decent, it has a sonic character with some resemblance of the OM30. That means that it´s fairly neutral with not so much sticking out that can be fatiguing in the long run. I find it overall better than for instance the AT95E.
/gusten

I have on as well as a Shure M91ED. THe Ortifon is much brighter sounding than the Shure which is much mellower IMHO. Both good carts but suited for different types of music

Steve

Out of the box, the AT110E is good but I’m betting you are into records for the long haul so I would say the OM 5E is better for you. Can a less popular cartridge be better? Yeah.

In sound, both remind me of the old-world Shure Era IV M97-HE’s but the AT110E is biased toward the bright and it sounds a bit thinner. The Ortofon is more balanced and has appreciably more separation making it sound more dynamic and, to me, in the long run, gives more because it does not have the sizzle. I favor the Ortofon’s for three reasons; they sound very good, they are bargains- as sleeper cartridges they fall below the radar of many, and being modular, they can be easily upgraded to make fantastic music cheaply, if you know the secret to mix and match.

For less money then the AT110E, you can turn the OM 5E into an OM 20-clone and you get bonus parts. The OM 5E has a stylus with a cheaper-to-make shank-diamond which sounds decent enough but the open-platform can do more. I’ve made a couple of $200 nude-elliptical cartridges for only $50 each or only $20 if you already have the cartridge. They sound excellent yet show that spending less money doesn’t mean a compromise in music.

A fleaBay seller has 500 NOS Digitrac 200 NE cartridges for $20 with free shipping. He is a regular and is selling the cartridges now. None of the Digitrac cartridges I bought worked but I didn’t care as I want the stylus. The extras, the screwdriver, the brush, and lots of parts to attach cartridges, are worth the price, but the star is the stylus. Each Digitrac cartridge holds the wonderful sounding OM 20 nude-elliptical stylus, in disguise. Combining the OM and the stylus, the music is like heaven calling- beautiful sounding, clean, open, very detailed, strong, tight, bass, and cheap. It’s looks homely but, man, it sure sounds sweet. Buy a couple of the cartridges and you might get lucky to get a cartridge that works. Everyone can afford this upgrade. Remember, the stylus is what you want to zero in on.

One caveat- out of the box, the 200 NE doesn’t work as a flimsy plastic tab gets in the way. Use fingernail clippers to cut it off, a simple 10 second operation.

If you decide to go the modular route, give the OM series a try and if you like a bargain, the upgrade is available. You won’t believe how good a lowly cartridge can sound plus you’ll have a couple of extra styluses, extra parts and tools, in reserve.

Or you can get the AT110E.

As an Update to my OP, I bought the technics 1350 TT with the Orotfon OM5E cartridge and I must say even with only a short listen at the sellers, I am VERY impressed with it and especially the OM5E cart. It just sounds soooo GOOD, clear, listenable, and I'm not at all dissapointed and I'm gonna keep it. So thanks for all your input and specially Quest with whom I kibitzd with over several PMs on the kudos of the OM5E and also the digitrac cart/stylus, of which I'm gonna get just for fun to compare. For 20$ why not? Once I get the beast installed in MY system I'll blog how it sounds. Is that the correct use of 'blog'?

I think blog can be used a bunch of different ways.

I know the OM5E is an excellent 'bang for the buck' cartridge. Mine came with my Pro-ject Debut III and I still haven't upgraded it. But after it breaks in (say, 50 hours) it sounded incredibly nice. Hard to believe it costs so little. I like it.

I must admit however, that cart. looks abit like a praying mantis about to pounce on some poor unsuspecting bug, but it sounds GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS:Got not the slightest idea of what blog means. It's used for saying something on the internet I know. What the hell is wrong with englishspeak anymore?

In my collection the Ortos all make bigger bass. The Shure is nice/balanced and with a JICO HE or better, will hold its own with an AT440MLa (new production) and close to, but not equal to an AT150MLX. An Orto OM30 is in nearly the same league sound wise with a bit fuller sound (that bass thing) and a good tracker. I throw Judy Collins on when I want to know if a cartridge will do well on female vocals and inner groove. The Ortos are OK.

HiFi, congratulations, you have a winning combination. S-arms have a lot of inherent potential and wait until you try the Ortofon/Digitrac combination. You are going to love it.

The OM 5E has fuller and more detailed midrange yet no excessive brightness or top-end droop- quite the opposite of other cartridges. Notice how quiet your records got? Then add the wide separation that MI cartridges are known for. Bottom line- they are true neutral sounding cartridges that gives subtle details. Add the Digitrac upgrade and you get even more. Tell me how you like it.

I think the fleaBay Digitrac styluses are going to be a blessing. Since OM styluses aren’t made anymore, stocks are going to be depleted and the prices will go up. It sounds like the Shure dilemma. How much are OM 20 styluses going for today?

Here are some pictures to compare and the “money shot.” It is a win-win for everyone that owns an Ortofon. Sure is ugly.

Attachments

• P1013444.JPG
    P1013444.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 530
  • P1013445.JPG
    P1013445.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 245
  • P1013446.JPG
    P1013446.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 285
(...) Since OM styluses aren’t made anymore, stocks are going to be depleted and the prices will go up. (...)

Who says these needles aren't made anymore? Ortofon still offers these, and I'm pretty sure they'll continue to do so for at least a couple of years more. And that these needles have already become quite a bit more expensive over the last years is not yet caused by rarity, but rather by Ortofon and their distributors which nowadays raise the prices quite regularly.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I don't need/want screeching sizziling highs anyway. Can't hear em and turn treble down when I do. I much prefer clean clear open sound with good lows and minimum coloration. I'm lookin forward to this new experience. Altho my vinyl has sounded great for 40 yrs with my v15/III, with long periods of abstenence now and then.

HiFi, congratulations, you have a winning combination. S-arms have a lot of inherent potential and wait until you try the Ortofon/Digitrac combination. You are going to love it.

The OM 5E has fuller and more detailed midrange yet no excessive brightness or top-end droop- quite the opposite of other cartridges. Notice how quiet your records got? Then add the wide separation that MI cartridges are known for. Bottom line- they are true neutral sounding cartridges that gives subtle details. Add the Digitrac upgrade and you get even more. Tell me how you like it.

I think the fleaBay Digitrac styluses are going to be a blessing. Since OM styluses aren’t made anymore, stocks are going to be depleted and the prices will go up. It sounds like the Shure dilemma. How much are OM 20 styluses going for today?

Here are some pictures to compare and the “money shot.” It is a win-win for everyone that owns an Ortofon. Sure is ugly.

I think Quest is on to something here, I followed his advice and got a new OMB5 E and the Digitrac stylus for a total of $56 shipped. Will report back with results when they arrive. :banana:

As an Update to my OP, I bought the technics 1350 TT with the Orotfon OM5E cartridge and I must say even with only a short listen at the sellers, I am VERY impressed with it and especially the OM5E cart. It just sounds soooo GOOD, clear, listenable, and I'm not at all dissapointed and I'm gonna keep it. So thanks for all your input and specially Quest with whom I kibitzd with over several PMs on the kudos of the OM5E and also the digitrac cart/stylus, of which I'm gonna get just for fun to compare. For 20$ why not? Once I get the beast installed in MY system I'll blog how it sounds. Is that the correct use of 'blog'?

Of course it sounds good! I kinda sensed it was you... oldhifiguy. How come you didn't say so? Better take real good care of it!

Carl

Technics_SL1350.jpg

yes siree, thats the one. Wasn't tryin to hide who it was. this guy was justdown the rd apiece from me. I got hear some thiel 4 something speakers at his home and now I need/want some of them too. They sounded sooooo good. but they're spensive!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe some day. Isn't that TT good lookin? That pic was shot some yrs back so the surrounding gear was not there. the TT is a poineer

Back
Top Bottom