Heathkit AR-13A Transistor Receiver?

sealy

Addicted Member
Just picked this up from a fellow in a neighbouring area for 20 bucks. No top, but in good working order. It was pulled out of a homemade console which also contained a Dual reel-to-reel(not working) and a Dual 1009 tt(working). Another guy wanted the tt so I left the console to him.

This is one eccentric receiver. Two tuners, one for AM and the other for FM. I was looking for the on switch until I consulted the manual and found the it was necessary to pull out the treble control to switch it on. I have already inadvertently turned the receiver off while adjusting the treble. Seems a bit of a pain. I replaced the burnt out stereo indicator light with an LED and the rest of the bulbs were replaced with new bulbs. Took about 2 hours to clean the filth off, but it sparkles now.

The sound is different from other amps I have. Warm would be the best way to describe it. The amp is rated at 20w/ch. The tuner seems as good as any other I have.

I have a couple of questions:

The manual was printed in 1964. Is that the likely vintage of this receiver?

Also. It says it has a dual amplifier setup. One for each channel. There are 2 large black cardboard tubes resembling large caps, on either side of the transformer. Can someone tell me what they are?

It would be nice to put it in a wood case if I can find one that fits. Meantime, I'll enjoy it as is.

Last edited:
Wow, someone else has one of these? I bought mine as a kit in '65 or '67. Don't remember how long it took to build. I ended up building a walnut console for it in college which included a Garrard TT with a pair of Allied Radio 12" speakers. I still have everything in semi working condition but with more recently acquired stereo equipment stacked on top. If I can get to it I will check on the date on my manual. Mine has a hiss/crackle in the right channel but only noticeable at low volumes. I thought mine was rated at 33 WPC but will have to check the manual. I do have the cabinet for mine packed away in storage. I could get you dimensions & pics if you are interested.

Charles

There are 2 large black cardboard tubes resembling large caps, on either side of the transformer. Can someone tell me what they are?
Probably capacitors
. It says it has a dual amplifier setup. One for each channel
All 2 channel amplifiers (stereo ) are configured that way...:scratch2:

:scratch2:
Probably capacitors

All 2 channel amplifiers (stereo ) are configured that way...:scratch2:

So they look like capacitors because they are capacitors? Never before seen a cardboard main cap, but hey, this is 44 years ago.

Regarding the 2 channel question. I guess it's just a matter of how they worded it in the manual. Sounded like it contained dual mono amps.

Wow, someone else has one of these? I bought mine as a kit in '65 or '67. Don't remember how long it took to build. I ended up building a walnut console for it in college which included a Garrard TT with a pair of Allied Radio 12" speakers. I still have everything in semi working condition but with more recently acquired stereo equipment stacked on top. If I can get to it I will check on the date on my manual. Mine has a hiss/crackle in the right channel but only noticeable at low volumes. I thought mine was rated at 33 WPC but will have to check the manual. I do have the cabinet for mine packed away in storage. I could get you dimensions & pics if you are interested.

Charles
Sounds good. Regarding the specs. You're right by golly! Page 2 of the manual says 33 watts into 8 ohms, 18 watts into 16 ohms and 12 watts into 4 ohms. The specs I was reading are the "Heath" ratings, to wit: 20 watts into 8 ohms, 13.5 watts into 16 ohms and 9 watts into 4 ohms.

Boy, those guys at Heath were tough!

So they look like capacitors because they are capacitors? Never before seen a cardboard main cap, but hey, this is 44 years ago.

Regarding the 2 channel question. I guess it's just a matter of how they worded it in the manual. Sounded like it contained dual mono amps.

I guess its just the smartass in me rearing its ugly head...:D

Listen, if you fly those things pictured in your avatar, you could reach me fully armed, in about 4 hours. You say whatever you like, I'll say nothing.

:lmao: Didn't fly'em ..Just repaired the electronics in them..

Dug out the manual for mine and the date printed in it is 10/27/67 so they must have been manufactured over several years. I need to get mine out and fix the noise problem.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom