Pioneer CS-63 DX Speakers

Yosemite

Her Toy
I just saw a pair of Pioneer CS 63 DX speakers in the local SA store for $59. Are these nice speakers. Money is tight right now, but I would hate to miss on a "buy of the decade". As a point of reference, I just can't get enough of my Large Advents. they draw me into the music. Are the Pioneers a "east coast sound" type of speaker?

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Hope I put this in the correct forum, I'm obviously..... a newbie.

Mike

Ps. Guess I forgot to mention, they seem to be in great sonic shape although the cabinets are a little worn.

Last edited:
I, too, am basically a newbie but I got a pair of these locally and with a little work to clean up the attenuators, I think they sound pretty good. I just refinsihed them this last weekend and they are now in the living room. A very nice pair recently sold on Ebay for $223 but they looked new. I gave $25 for mine at a garage sale and they were pretty used. It all depends on the shape of the ones you saw and if they are even still there. As a drummer with a taste for a variety of music ranging from Lee Morgan to AC/DC, Buffet to Zappa, Tower of Power to the Pogues, they seem to sound good on everything. I bumped a set of Advent Legacies out of the way to put the Pioneers in for a while. Again, though, I am still a newbie.

Jay

A great buy if they work and are not to rough! GO get em'!
The 63's are the rarest to find of the CS line IMO. They are well built(heavy!) rate up there with CS-99 & CS-99A.;)

If they are not kind to your ears you can easily recoup your $59 by selling them on eBay. 63's usually command a good price.

They're in the car now (I'm at work). Talk about heavy! sheesh... Just lifting them into my CRX was a chore. These things lowered my road clearence visibly.

Now I'm lookin for good excuses to give to my significant other as to why I have room in my small bedroom for anything else other than 5 pairs of speakers. These are the largest units I've ever had. I may lay low and leave them in the car for the better part of the weekend.

Thanks Glassman, for the feedback on your music preferences. I have a really wide set of styles that I enjoy and it sounds like these guys can serve justice to most.

I must reiterate..... any Ideas on how to convince Barbra that this is a good thing? She does know it's about the music!

;)

Mike,

You are more than welcome. I am listening to a later Zappa album right now with my baby girl in my arms. They sound fantastic. As far as convincing the wife you need them, you could always tell her how it is a good investment based on the recent sales on Ebay but the fact they are so heavy you would never get what they are worth because they are too expensive to ship. Therefore, you can't sell them. A silly ploy but it might just work.

By the way, I am not positive but I think I read somewhere they weigh about 65 pounds a piece. If at first it sounds like the highs and possibly the mids are cutting out, try working the tone controls back and forth to see if it clears up at all. You may have to remove the back panel and sparingly spray the contacts on the attenuators with some DeOxit and work them back and forth. It may take a couple tries and I recommend not completely reassembling them until you are sure they are good and clear. I had to open mine up again after a couple months and clean the contacts and now they are great. Best of luck.

Jay

Cloth surrounds, so the drivers should be in good condition-- given that, you should find that they are very comfortable speakers to hear, and they encourage long listening sessions. Bass rolls off gently below 50 Hz, but provides good energy well below that level.
They were in production a long time, and actually sold for about $30 apiece more than the CS-99A.

PIONEER SPK, CS- 63DX 4-WAY 6-SPEAKER SYSTEM
Description: 15" WOOFER, (2)5" MIDRANGES, HORN TWEETER, 2-SUPERTWEETER
Manufacture Years: 1971 - 1973
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $700.00
USED: $50.00

Possible...

Orion has my new STR-7800SD@120wpc. wjahn5's Sony manual scan says 125wpc.

Thanks for the additional info.... Can I expect an impedance around 8 ohms? I'm guessing I'd be best running off my Marantz 4300 rather than the Sansui QR-4500, but I really don't know. Read something about Marantz not liking low impedance speakers.

Barbara saw the units in the back of my car and is being her usual nice person self.... trying to be understanding about this renewed addiction of mine. At least she's an artist and recognizes musicality. I really appreciate her putting up w/ me!

Glassman, Got Hot rats? I like Sheik Yerbouti (controversial?) closely followed by the Joe's garage albums. Zappa is just amazing with his instrumentation. I don't really know much about the technical side of things but He really impressed me as more complex than met the eye.

Mike,

I got Hot Rats, Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage, and many more. Some of my all time favorites have to be One Size Fits All and The Grand Wazoo, which is mostly, if not all, instrumental. One of his live shows he pulls of this tune with multiple changes in time signature and then at the end asks if anybody danced as if it was possible. Great stuff.

Glad to hear the wife is putting up with you. I think I have pushed things a little too far and today I come into work and there is another stereo system sitting there that a coworker bought at a garage sale for me. Oh well, at least I have an excuse this time. It isn't like I went out and found these items.

Jay

I just picked up a set of CS-G9001 Pioneers and cant find any info at all on here about them. They need refoamed but they are pretty big suckers and I was wondering if any of you have heard these model's?

I had a pair of the 63DX's in my garage system for several years. My neighbor used to come over and listen to them when I was in garage tinkering with the door open. He kept telling me how much he liked those speakers and wished he had a pair. This summer I was having a garage sale and here he came. Wanted to know if I the speakers were for sale. I told him no, but that he could have them if he wanted them. He now has his own garage system and I go over to listen to it every once in a while. The cabinets were pretty rough on mine, but they sure played music and sounded pretty damn good.

Possum, I used to have a pair of CS-E9900 and used them for a couple of years. I never could find much about them either. SOrry I can't be of more help. Hook'em up and enjoy them until you get something you like better.

I had a set of CS-63DX's out in my shop, and I thought they sounded WAY better than the CS-99A's. Very listenable.

www.records said:
Possum, I used to have a pair of CS-E9900 and used them for a couple of years. I never could find much about them either. SOrry I can't be of more help. Hook'em up and enjoy them until you get something you like better.

I've got better speakers www. I was going to use them in the garage and maybe even build more solid cabinets for them if they sounded great. I see on here all the time how good the HPM 100's are and was just wondering how these would sound after refoaming them. I've sorta been going speaker crazy after being in here awhile. lol I've found JBL L100t's at a yard sale for 5 bucks each, one EPI A150 at a thrift, two EPI magnus 10's that was my first refoam job and gave them to my niece. Seems like once you start finding a few jewels your hooked ! Its like a continous treasure hunt. lol

Just picked up a pair of CS-63DX's today in excellent shape. Hooked them up to the Kenwood 9600 and I'm absolutely blown away!!!! I've heard some naysayers on these but man, I'm not sure where they are coming from cuz these speakers are absolutely astonishing!!!!!! Had my chest vibrating and my legs trembling, the sound is just magnificent!!! The best part of it is, the old lady had 2 pairs of these and said she would call me when she's ready to sell me the second set! She's owned them for 40 years she said but they are just taking up to much room anymore and she doesn't listen to music much anymore so yea, I'm ready to acquire that second pair any day! One happy camper right here!!!

They make big sound, that's for sure. If you ever have to work on them, be prepared to invest in gloves because there's more fiberglass in those things than there is in my whole house!

Back
Top Bottom