Akai AP 005 Turntable

CJ Branda

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can download the user/operation manual for this turntable? The only place on the web I seem to find is www.manuals-in-pdf.com which only has the service manual. I'm interested in setting the anti-skate correctly which is not so clear without the manual...

Akai_AP_005.jpg

Akai AP-005 (1979)

Same question. I recently purchased this TT in mint condition but there was no manual. I also bought the cartridge with shell
and I need to set anti-skate mechanism with tonearm balance correctly. It's kinda hard to get to know it without owners manual or experience:)
Could someone help me out with manual or just an advice concerning anti-skate mechanism adjustment?
Thank you in advance.

69324074.jpg

93387925.jpg

49170970.jpg

very slick looking table... wouldn't mind one myself as i like akai stuff from this era..hope you work the antiskate setting out :thmbsp:

That is a match to a Project/One turntable (not Pro-Ject, but Project). I think it was made by CEC Electronics. I have the match. Stylus overhang is 15mm measured from the spindle in the platter center. It seems to be sensitive to magnetic fields, so watch the placement next to transformers. Not a terrible table at all. Mine spends a fair amount of time in the rotation.

Thanks,
Andy

G'day all, I have the earlier Akai AP 004 which is also a fine turntable, although its appearance is very different to the AP 005 pictured.

Interestingly enough on my AP 004 the bias conpensation weight and lateral balance weight are on opposite sides. Why? I haven't a clue! :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.

The anti-skating mechanism on the AP-005 is based on a simple "lever" principle.

The further you move the ring with the little protuding rod to the right, the higher will the anti-skating force will be. If there are no markings on the little shaft where the ring / rod combo slides, you may need a test record to set your anti-skating accurately.

The lateral balance weight is to compensate for the "S" shape of the arm which tends to shift the mass of the tonearm towards the side of the "S", thus distributing the weight of the assembly in an unbalanced way at the vertical arm bearings. As a result, it is always placed on the opposite side of the "S". The reason it can be moved is to allow for different headshell + cartridge weigh combinations. Have you noticed this kind of lateral balance weight is never to be seen on straight arms?

Last edited:
G'day mate, most interesting stuff, yet these 'lateral balance weights' (the movable weight on the straight metal rod?) are rarely seen with many (most?) S shaped arms as well. Is it really necessary, and why is it they placed in the opposite position on the AP 004 model? :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
these 'lateral balance weights' (the movable weight on the straight metal rod?) are rarely seen with many (most?) S shaped arms as well. Is it really necessary.

Hi Felix,

Great question for which I have no answer, other than that a few people seemed to think it was necessary, or, at least, that it was an improvement.

I´m not sure , but I guess this was a feature included in most, if not all, Acos Lustre arms as well as some of those made by CEC. As you know both these arm manufacturers supplied arms for many a japanese TT manufacturer in the 70´s, though not all, hence you find plenty of models with, as well as without, this "Lateral Balance Weight".

and why is it they placed in the opposite position on the AP 004 model?

Another guess, again for lack of definitive knowledge. Check the pics bellow. The AP-004, as opposed to the other models shown in this thread so far, has a "J" shaped arm, rather than an "S" one. The second pic shows a fidelity Research FR-24, again with the "Lateral balance Weight" on the same side as on the AP-004, and again beeing a "J" shaped arm. The world renowed SME-3009 is also "J" shaped and has the weight again on the same side as the former two. So my guess is that in "J" shaped arms, the mass of the arm´s tube actually leans to the opposite side when compared to "S" shaped arms relative to the arm bearing´s plane, thus requiring compensation at "the other side"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jorge

Attachments

• Akai_AP_004X.jpg
    Akai_AP_004X.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Fidelity_Research_FR_24.jpg
    Fidelity_Research_FR_24.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Here is an Akai AP-Q70 with a different J arm .

Attachments

• Akai AP-Q70 (7).jpg
    Akai AP-Q70 (7).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Akai AP-Q70 (11).jpg
    Akai AP-Q70 (11).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 54
G'day mate, thanks for the most interesting information. Complex stuff all this tonearm business isn't it? Regards, Felix aka catman.

interesting to learn more about what the lateral balance does.. :thmbsp:

here's my akai ap-206c with its s-shaped arm.. but minus any lateral balance weight... perhaps they considered it unnecessary on their later models ?:scratch2:

i have a soft spot for the styling looks of akai's turntables from this era.. they always looked pretty sharp with nice ergonomics.

Last edited:
Thought I would jump onto this old post as I have a question about this turntable. I just picked it up from my father's house. I am hoping he has the manual still but I could not find it and he is away on holidays. If I do get it I will try and get it put on vinylengine. In the meantime where is the antiskate adjustment? Is it the little rod on the right hand side of the tonearm which has another little rod leaning on it with a little tiny weight on it?

I also have a Rotel RP820 turntable but the akai is so much nicer looking as the Rotel is very light and plasticy. I cant tell you which one sounds better until I get my new cartridge/stylus this week. I also think the Akai needs a slightly smaller belt than the one I have. At the moment the Akai is crackly mess when I try and use it.

Back
Top Bottom