Vintage Japanese Turntable

JVCULATR

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in buying a new turntable and I want something with some vintage pedigree! I've always liked the late 70s to 80s big, heavy, wooden, direct-drive Japanease turntables by JVC, Denon and Pioneer, but I'm not sure which ones are good and which ones aren't! There's a JVC QL-7 Quartz-Lock Direct-Drive turntable for sale near me at the moment - was this one good?

My current turntable is a Project Debut, so I guess in comparison they must be quite good!

My amplifier is an Arcam A32 and a JVC A-X5 and my speakers are Wharfedale EVO2 30s.

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a QL-A7 that I picked up cheap at a yard sale. It's a great turntable. I would guess that the only difference between mine and the one you're looking at is that mine has auto lift/shut off at end of play.

It's an excellent turntable, but be aware that as cactuscowboy said, it is fully manual. The owners manual is over at vinylengine.com.

There's a JVC QL-7 Quartz-Lock Direct-Drive turntable for sale near me at the moment - was this one good?

YES, that's a pretty good turntable. It should be a big (enough to be quite audible) improvement over a Pro-ject TT.

You can enjoy it as it is, or if you want to upgrade the sound a bit further, try building a much more massive plinth for it. If you look underneath, you'll see that the motor assembly is easily transplanted. The tonearm assembly is in another rectangular compartment along the side, so if/when you decide to re-plinth the motor, you have the choice of moving the tonearm with it, or mounting a different arm. But don't worry if you don't want to bother with this; the TT sounds very good as it comes, stock. Short of a re-plinth, you can also add dampening material underneath, in the hollow squarish area that surrounds the motor assembly.

This is a very under-valued TT, IMO, and worth getting. Even the tonearm, which some criticise for theoretical reasons without hearing it, is actually quite good-sounding, too.

JVC made three (IIRC) TTs in this series; the top one is the "10", with better stats/performance but the "7" is no slouch at all. Not bad looking, either.

JVC made three (IIRC) TTs in this series; the top one is the "10"
And available as drive units only with different model#,s TT-101 TT-81 TT-71

They are very nice TT as Arkay has mentioned, solid, well built and generally
reliable.

Thankyou very much, everyone!

I'm going to, hopefully, buy this JVC turntable and I'll see how I get on with it. Are there any other threads on here with people that have created bigger and better plinths for it, or something similar?

Regarding the tonearm, it is the standard model, but the headshell has been replaced "with an SME type mount Yamaha version". It also comes with a fitted Goldring Electra MM cartridge. Time will tell if I'm successful! I'll keep you all posted on the latest info!

Many thanks,
JVCuLatr

Keep your eye out for the 41A, much nicer arm.

I will do!

My friend's father has one of these, and he doesn't know whether it's good or not. Apparently he wants to get rid of it as he sold all his vinyl.
bbtt1000.jpg

Is it any good, it looks and feels very expensive, but I've never used it as I've never taken any vinyls with me...

get. it.

I've never seen one of those before!

I will! He's only asking £100 for it - seems excellent value to me considering it has an amazing arm and a seperate psu/motor thing! The model number is a Marantz TT1000 ESOTEC...even that names suggests it's good!

I would get it.....if I had the money at the moment, and lived in England....

Better go grab it and report back!

I would get it.....if I had the money at the moment, and lived in England....

Better go grab it and report back!
<p>

Will do! He's one other thing he wants to get rid of - a pair of Yamaha NS1000-M speakers. Are these good too? The only thing is, he's asking £400 for these, and I've no idea how good they are. They look fantastic though! I remember me and my mate once used them when his dad went out and they sounded like the best speakers I'd ever heard, but that's probably because we were blasting music out of them thanks to a 200watt Pioneer Elite M-90 amplifier! Dunno how good they are though in real life, if someone could tell me, that would be good!

Assuming you're not simply having some fun at our expense, yes, that turntable and those speakers are very high quality, very, very desirable, and a screaming steal at the prices you're quoting.

I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Assuming you're not simply having some fun at our expense, yes, that turntable and those speakers are very high quality, very, very desirable, and a screaming steal at the prices you're quoting.

I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I just did a little search on them, and according to Hi-Fi World magazine, they should fetch WAY higher prices!!! Will my Arcam A32 be a suitable partner for the Yamaha speakers because apparently they sounded "fizzy" with a high-power transistor amp; should I perhaps use my JVC A-X5 on them instead as it's a bit more valve like. Also, should I remove the arm of the turntable before I pack it in its box during transit?

Back
Top Bottom