L65 jubal / L65

hierfi

Hi all,
Im new here, but i just picked up a pair of L65, Not-Jubals off CL in Dallas, very VERY nice condition, had a recone 2 yrs ago. 7 hr round trip and still got a steal. I havnt been able to find the spec sheet on the L65, Only on the Jubals. I was told the only diff is the crossover....is that right?
man... im jumping right into this, picking up a pair of 4311's tomorrow along with a Denon turntable. another steal deal i cant pass up. I cant look at CL for a while;)
Any insight on the L65's would be appreciated
thanks

Enjoy them. You snagged one of JBLs better speakers of that era.. and it was a good era for JBL! Congrats.

Here are the tech manuals:

L65 Jubal
L65A
L65B

The 4311 will not likely live up to the L65.

4311 had three models as well 4311, 4311A, 4311B

System Woofer Midrange Tweeter Crossover last year
4311 2212 2105 LE25 3112 1978
4311A 2213 LE5-2 LE25 3112A 1979
4311B 2213H LE5-10 LE25-2 3112B 1982

Thanks Zilch for the quick response
I had found these earlier but still no plain jane L65, all Jubals
????????

mmmm Dinner
okay, i think i got it figured out. I pulled the woofer out and its a 122A which matches the L65A Jubal. Even though mine doesnt say "Jubal" I noticed an "A" at the end of the ser #'s, which btw are consecutive:). My wife is tickled were getting back into the hi-fi scene. we've both raised kids and now their older and not around as much we can start putting some good stuff back in our system. EVERYTHING's getting better;). Its all about fun and were having a blast.
I'll let you know how these sound with the 4311's as backup. I grew up with a friend with some 4312's, reel to reel, and a Sansui monster G9000. He still has it all in excellent condition!

Hey hierfi, welcome to AK BTW... If you are getting back "into" vintage stereo scene or even new stuff, this is the place... It's a tremendous resource and library.

You are correct. If there is an A following the serial number on the foilcal (label), they are a L65A. However, many speakers have been owner modified over the years so you never know what you might actually find as far as drivers.. Sort of like engines in 60's Corvettes..

There's plenty of history in JBL. Many JBL speakers had "code" or marketing names associated with them. Nova, Dorian, Verona, Jubal, etc. I have heard the Jubal name was said to be a derivative of James B Lansing.. and most people call all the L65 variations Jubals.

Here is more info: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1975-l65.htm

Welcome hierfi,

You have the exact model that I have. Congrats!!

I have had them for over 10 years but just recently had the chance to set them up properly. I took the advice from this site and raised them up off the floor about 2' and I also toed them in to center them to my listening area. Man what a difference!!! The bass is less boomy and more defined, the imaging improved dramatically. I would try this unless you are totally happy with them on the floor.

Hope you enjoy them!

We have been enjoying them more and more every day. They are really quite a nice mix with the 4311's backing them up. But L65's are sensually sweet all by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom