Great speaker companies that came... and went

myu701

Vintage futurist
Off the top of my head, I only know of one: Dynaco. They scored a big hit with the A25 and possibly the A35. What are some others who produced at least one "top rated" speaker set, then later closed their doors and faded into audio history?

ROR Audio Research: Flushing, NY

I'm unsure if the company that built my current favorite vintage speakers, ROR Audio Research, ever achieved "top rated" status anywhere, outside a small group of audio industry professionals, as they were small and local to the NYC metro area.

However the man behind the company was and remains, highly acclaimed throughout the audio industry. Just google, Ted Rothstein, TR Technologies. To find out more about him, and his companies.

My very first set of speakers in a hi-fi setup were made by a company named Grafyx.

I had the Grafyx 8's, and I think they went to Grafyx 10's... I've always assumed they ran in accordance with the size of their woofer. They were affordable for folks like me who didn't have a massive amount of cash to throw at a rig...... my first Technics receiver, Sanyo TT and Grafyx speakers ran me $500 in '76, I believe, maybe '77. I thought they were very nice speakers; while not incredible, they did have a very pleasant sound and would certainly rock when called upon to do so. I haven't heard a thing about the Grafyx line since at least the early 80's?

Goodmans, before they went bust and had their name bought by Alba, made some very nice stuff. A shame really as in their day, the speakers were pretty affordable considering the quality.

There's plenty more who went bust...Fisher, RtR and Dahlquist to name a few better known ones.

Energy. sure they are still around, but since klipsch bought them out they are dead inside. Others would be dB+ (from API) and fisher.

DCM. They're still around but under new ownership. The new DCM misses the mark completely for me.

I can't remember the name of the company offhand, but the company in Southern California that built the Tardis Sound Field Projectors. Very nice, audiophile speakers with a high-end design and solid build quality. ... but who ever heard of them or their prouducts? The company didn't last all that long.

Otherwise, virtually every smaller label that got bought up by a larger conglomerate LOST their edge after the takeover.
Infinity, DCM.

Add ESS to your list, too.

How about EPI?

EPI

I have a set of the EPI A70 speakers and they still outperform almost anything I have had since. Love them. Great sound. Bought them brand new back in 1981. Refoamed twice and still kicking.

later,
ken99

Energy. sure they are still around, but since klipsch bought them out they are dead inside. Others would be dB+ (from API) and fisher.

Most everything Klipsch has done since Paul Klipsch died has been subpar. That includes their own designs and the many companies they have purchased and destroyed.

3D Acoustics from Portsmith NH, Spica, Avid from East Providence, RI. Bozak from Taftville and Norwalk CT. ADC from Meridan CT although the Co. is still in business they no longer manufacture speakers.

Just about all of the ones I currently own and use, and many I have had.

Acoustat
Dahlquist
Beveridge
Sequerra
Altec
Urei
EPI
Advent
Gold Ribbon Concepts
etc.

Videoton, a Hungarian speaker company that had products very popular in Europe and Britain during the 1960's and '70's.

Most everything Klipsch has done since Paul Klipsch died has been subpar. That includes their own designs and the many companies they have purchased and destroyed.

I was going to add Klipsch to my list, but:

1) When PWK sold his company, he sold it to a relative,

2) They are still building PWK's speakers in Hope, Arkansas, by folks who worked with PWK, both home and commercial,

3) The new TOTL Palladium speakers from Klipsch/Indy are first rate.

But I hear 'ya, Stuart.

Back
Top Bottom