Mitsubishi DA-A10DC Stereo Power Amplifier

don20032004

Dazed and Confused
Anyone have any experience with Mitsubishi amps? Aesthetically speaking they look great to me, but how do they perform?:scratch2:

Hah, I bought one rather recently.

After a quick google, a copy/paste of the stats:

Power output: 100W continuous power per channel (8 ohms from 15Hz-30kHz, with 0.01% THD)
Total harmonic distortion: 0.005% at 50W per channel,
Intermodulation distortion: 0.008% at rated power, 8 ohms
(70Hz and 7kHz 4:1): 0.01% at 1W per channel, 8 ohms
Power bandwidth (IHF): 10Hz to 100kHz at 0.1% THD, 8 ohms
Frequency response: ± 0.1 dB from 20Hz to 20kHz at rated power,
Input sensitivity/impedance: 1V (variable)/50k ohms
Damping factor: 100 from 20Hz to 20kHz, 8 ohms
Channel separation: 100dBat 1kHz; 80dB at 20kHz
Hum and noise: 0.12mV (unweighted, closed circuit)
Signal to noise ratio:
107dB (unweighted, closed circuit)
122dB (IHF, A network, closed circuit);
118dB (DIN, closed circuit);
109dB (DIN, 47k ohms//250pF terminated)
Slew rate: 30V//iS at 50V peak to peak, 8 ohms
Power: 600W (IEC nominal); 390W at rated power, 8 ohms; 240W (UL nominal)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 425x170x285mm
Weight: 16kg

The design is basically two mono-blocks in the same box.

I am not sure what EchoWars is talking about when he states "somewhat cheaply built". From what I have seen on the insides it looks very well put together (a little snug however). My unit has some very small rusting lines on the outer parts and four broken heat-sink fins, so I can only assume that it was not taken care of or stored properly.
However, the insides look quite up to par, and has taken no damage in the least (it's a tank basically).

Post some pics when you get the time :D

"Hah, I bought one rather recently."

Soooooooooo it was you that I was battling on eboy! LOL

Ya, They do look like there built like a tank. Did you get the meters with yours? Do the broken heat sinks hurt the performance?

I know about the stats, How do they perform? Sound?

I have a DA-A15DC amp & meters. It sounds very good. It has always had plenty of power for my needs. The preamp and tuner are constructed of thinner metal than most vintage equip. Maybe that's what EW was referring to. I've also seen alot of the amps with one or two broken speaker posts.

I like them- but here's a little secret-

Those big power caps? Actually two smaller caps hidden under a larger "lid" made to look like one big cap.

I've heard this amp at my house (friend owns one) and it sounds really nice. Plenty of gusto for most applications...

That sounds like something I would be interested in. This web site is great for getting good honest information that you can use.

If that is the one that you can plug a tuner or tuner preamp onto the front then there is a tuner for sale on the Toronto CL.

Brian,

Usually you mount a meter set in front of the amp- that meter set may be a pre-amp as well-I can't honestly recall.

But yes- these are modular, stackable, kinda like playing with hi-fi adult legos.

Very cool stuff.

Ya, they sell a seperate tuner and pre-amp. The meters attach to the face of the amp. Really cool stuff!

Attachments

• 214122239_tp.jpg
    214122239_tp.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 459
  • e706_12.jpg
    e706_12.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 415
Was not sure of the model # of the series but saw the tuner for sale last week in doing a search on the site. I do not fully the brand so was not sure.

There seeme to be some mixed reviews about the group but mostly favorable for the going prices. The power amp look impressive.

"Hah, I bought one rather recently."

Soooooooooo it was you that I was battling on eboy! LOL

Ya, They do look like there built like a tank. Did you get the meters with yours? Do the broken heat sinks hurt the performance?

I know about the stats, How do they perform? Sound?

Nah I bought mine via Craigslist.
No meters with mine.
And no it hasn't effected the performance to my knowledge. Hell the sinks never get hot.

As for the sound, well I use it for home theatre, and I do not have a dictionary of audio abstractions, but I will report it provides a full sound. Lots of headroom (with my speakers at least).

I am having a problem with mine though. The speakers seem to cut out when the amp is powered to a certain db level. I think it might be the power caps, or another cap.
Not a "problem" with the amp per say, as the caps only have a limited life span.

I like them- but here's a little secret-

Those big power caps? Actually two smaller caps hidden under a larger "lid" made to look like one big cap.

Only half right.

It uses two caps in one cap (which is 10,000uf). A dual cap of sorts. It's not as big as the cover sure, but it is still a good size. One dual cap per channel.

In any case, I priced getting them replaced. It would involve 4 caps, and custom PCB board. About 170 for caps, shipping, and labor.
About how much I paid for the amp in the first place D:

I have owned and restored two of these DA-A10DC amps, along with the DA-M10 meters and a DA-P10 preamp.

I think they sound great and I would not hesitate to pick up more at a decent price.

To "echo" what echo said they are a bit cheaply built - the "bumper" fins on the back of one of mine cracked and boy are they a pain to clean if they get dusty! Getting between those heat fins is a royal pain.

The power amnp is very straightforward under the hood though, and easy to restore. The preamp not so much. A lot of dis assembly required.

In any case, I priced getting them replaced. It would involve 4 caps, and custom PCB board. About 170 for caps, shipping, and labor.

Do you have any more information about this? I am curious about the custom PCB as opposed to point-to-point wiring of two capacitors, kind of like LBPete did for his oval caps in a G-9000 or AU-919 (I forget)

Edit: not LBPete, CDfixer. Sorry.

I've got a DA-C20 and DA-A10DC that works, but has busted speaker terminals. A poor design, and old plastic. Does anyone know of a good update for this so I can run the thing and evaluate it better?

Actually now that you mention it I hate the speaker posts on the DA-A10DC. I have seen one sell on eBay recently in which the owner 'upgraded' to spade jacks. I haven't changed them out.

Someone left a DA-A10DC on the front steps of my shop a few years ago, along with other stuff including a Teac reel to reel.

Abandoned.... So I took it in.
After some cleaning, a few new caps, and balancing the voltages, it cranked!
Excellent power, stability, and clean sound! And the sucker weighs like 37 pounds! A real tank!
I used it for a few years until I found the love of my life, my Maggie 9304-20(see tube amp threads)
Now the Misubishi sits, alone, on a shelf in my basement. Trust me, it's a great amp, but I love that tube sound better.
See how us men are?.... we'll dump your ass for something else!

Now the Misubishi sits, alone, on a shelf in my basement. Trust me, it's a great amp, but I love that tube sound better.

You are quite the scoundrel yes?
Leaving a restored amp of that caliber alone in a basement D:

Someone left a DA-A10DC on the front steps of my shop a few years ago, along with other stuff including a Teac reel to reel.

Abandoned.... So I took it in.
After some cleaning, a few new caps, and balancing the voltages, it cranked!
Excellent power, stability, and clean sound! And the sucker weighs like 37 pounds! A real tank!
I used it for a few years until I found the love of my life, my Maggie 9304-20(see tube amp threads)

Totally understand the dumping for something else,but Maggie's out of my price range!:tears:

Back
Top Bottom