Staff member
Admin
Refoaming some AR11 woofers

1st pic shows these really need refoaming

Attachments

• AR1.jpg
    AR1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 805
Cleaning the outside foam and gummy glue off the frame by just rubbing with my finger. I sucked the dust cover out with a mini shop vac I used for sucking up the crumbling foam.

Attachments

• AR2.jpg
    AR2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 667
Sorry for the blurry pic. Here is the cleaned frame and cone ready for new foam.

Attachments

• AR3.jpg
    AR3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 745
placed new foam surround under the cone

Attachments

• AR4.jpg
    AR4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 760
putting the glue only on the cone side first and let dry

Attachments

• AR5.jpg
    AR5.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 673
putting glue on the outside frame side

Attachments

• AR6.jpg
    AR6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 504
borrowed a lid from the kitchen to put a little pressure on the outside while drying

Attachments

• AR7.jpg
    AR7.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 576
done and ready to go back into the cabinets.

Attachments

• AR8.jpg
    AR8.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 620
Looks great. Someday I'll attempt some refoaming to practice. I've got some JBLs that need it but don't want to attempt it with these on my first try.

Great work, and great documentation, Bravo!

Once the woofer is 'clean', ie all the old foam removed, whats the timeframe involved for refoaming 2 woofs?

Reason I'm asking, is I too have some JBL woofs out of a L166 that I need to foam, and wondering if this is something I could get you to step me through at the next bottlehead meet - assuming it is a 20-30 minute ordeal and not 2 hrs.

Of course, I'll make it worth your while in gear.

Cheers,
Russ

From pulling the speakers to applying the first glue is about 10 minutes. Then I wait about an hour before gluing the frame side. Usually let it sit over night before using to insure the glue has totally set.

Tip: I let the surround center itself when gluing to the cone. It naturally holds to the seam edge. I put glue on the outside edge and press it down on the frame. Now I push down on the cone with both and to make sure there is no rubbing. Now that it is centered, I put some thing edge to make sure it sticks all the way around.

Each speaker has it's own little tricks. Here is a Bose 901 driver where I'm putting the glue on the cone side.

Attachments

• glueinsidering.jpg
    glueinsidering.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 667
Then I put some weight on it to hold the surfaces together while drying.

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 618
I glued all the outside edges at one time, as the cloth surround naturally laid flat on the frame.

Attachments

• glueoutsidering.jpg
    glueoutsidering.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 529
Wards ...what kind of glue are you using?????

Thats the only hold up I'm havin' on puttin the new foam on my Mach Ones.....

The white stuff they send with refoam kits. They always send two bottles and I only use one, so I have extra. You can also use Weldbond space age adhesive.
weldbond.jpg

Does it matter whether the new surround attaches to the cone on the inside or outside?

On the ones I've done, I've always tried to place it the same as the original. And I've always cut the dust caps and shimmed the VC in place---- I like the idea of not having to cut the dust caps off. It seems to me that the spider is what really centers the coil in the gap, anyway, and assuming you don't pull it off center when you glue it....

The surround can attach to the cone on top or underneath. New foam should glue like the original.

Nooooooooo... don't change how the surround mounts on the cone! Please!

The surround needs to be on the cone that way... otherwise, if you front-mount a surround that needs to be back-mounted to the cone, or vice-versa, you can preload the suspension to where the coil sits at rest, too far outward or too far inward. This reduces Xmax and increases even-order distortion (since the woofer travel will be less symmetric)...

Gary, I generally just use plain old Elmers white glue, believe it or not. On a Mach 1 woofer with its paper cone, it bonds EXTREMELY well. And if you just scrape off the loose debris from the basket, and leave a tiny thin film of the original glue on there (just sand or scrape it enough to get rid of the flakes and bumps), then the white glue will bond great to the frame as well. I've refoamed several hundred drivers this way, and they've all worked great.

Back
Top Bottom