Soupy Taters

cabinover

Dazed and Confused
OK all you Southern folk, 'tis time to dump out your soupy tater recipe.

We're cooking a nice Roast Beef tonight with some dry rub already massaged onto said beef. To go with that we're doing up some Barley Mushroom Pilaf.

I've been salivating over Fotno's description of Soupy Taters since Tentoze brought up the subject.

Since I can't find anything but generic descriptions of said recipe I'm asking for your Mom's or Granny's please.

Many thanks to all your kinfolk!:D

Stewed Potatoes

6 to 8 medium russet potatoes
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for thickening
1/3 cup water
2 ice cubes

1. Peel potatoes, cut in 3/4-inch cubes, and place in a deep pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until potatoes are tender.
2. Place flour, water and ice cube in a small jar. Put lid on and shake until flour is dissolved. Then while gently stirring the potatoes, slowly add the flour-water until the soup in the potatoes reaches the desired thickness you want.

Optional - 6 to 8 slices of bacon for seasoning. Fry bacon crisp, crumble. Add the bacon and fat to the potatoes while bringing them to boil.

Optional - add 1 med. onion, chopped, while cooking taters.

Serves 6 to 8.

Thanks Ken. Here's what I ended up doing.
About 6 potatoes, chunked up.
Boil in Chicken stock with salt and pepper.
Thicken with flour once done.
Throw in 8 pieces of bacon, crumbled.

Couldn't do the bacon fat, I'm like RayW. I need to keep all that artery clogging crap I can out of my arteries:D

Thanks for the recipe though. Sure looks tasty and my daughter says the soupy part tastes great.

Well I have to say, that's some good eating. It's so simple that it really makes me wonder why I've never thought of it before nor even heard of it. Like potatoes and gravy without having to make the gravy. Who'd have thunk it?

Back
Top Bottom