• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony STR 6800 SD

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
So I just picked up this STR 6800 SD receiver at the local Goodwill and it was $40!
DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
So it has two main problems;
1. The DC offset is 90 mV in each channel, but it uses power packs of some sort. I can't find an adjustment for this so I have been reluctant to hook up my speakers to it.
DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg



2. The tape monitor switch was bashed and is now broken, I'm assuming this switch is common to other units lower in the line... does anyone know for sure?
Its one of these two:
DSC_0020.jpg
 
Have you hooked any headphones into it to see if it plays?

And those power packs are made by Darlington.
 
Have you hooked any headphones into it to see if it plays?

And those power packs are made by Darlington.

I have not, as I do not have a pair of headphones where this receiver is, but I didn't even think of it!
I'll try it next chance I get.
 
I see by your pictures, you have it powered up. If it has any speaker fuses and they are not blown, you're probably ok to connect speakers. Do you hear the protection relay click when you turn it on? If it clicks on, you're good to go. If there were any over voltages or bad components, your relay would not click on!

I'm not sure what the service manual says for that specific Sony model, but if the relay clicks on, the output modules are probably ok. The only other problem I ever encountered with those power paks (besides being shorted), is one being open, meaning voltage would go in, but nothing would come out.

As iha1992 stated, try a pair of headphones, or a junk speaker just to be safe.

Seems to me that so far, you have had good luck with your goodwill finds! Good luck on this one!
 
That is a steal. The STR 6800SD is a strong receiver -- 85 wpc at 1kHz, 8 ohm -- and stout watts at that. We've been running one for four years with no issues. Well, one -- found one wire had not been wire-wrapped from the factory -- soldered it up and all was well.
 
Okay, so it sounds fine, but it has another problem: the volume knob.
I'll upload pictures later.

The pot is inside of a black plastic box, the good news is that its an ALPS unit.
I'm going to take off the faceplate and report back.
 
try quickly rotating the volume knob a lot. might help, might not. it did with my Sanyo.
 
Odd. I just tested the DC offset again and it measured a solid 19 mV in each channel!
I took it apart further and was able to straighten out the switch a little bit, and it seems to work a little bit better.

I'll put it back together soon when I get some better speakers ready.
 
If you didn't let it warm up before the first measurements, that might be why you saw the larger offset. The service literature for my STR-V55 says to wait 10 minutes.

If that wasn't the reason, perhaps it's just the capacitors reforming and leaking less.

John
 
If you didn't let it warm up before the first measurements, that might be why you saw the larger offset. The service literature for my STR-V55 says to wait 10 minutes.

If that wasn't the reason, perhaps it's just the capacitors reforming and leaking less.

John

I waited for each test oddly enough, about 20 minutes.

Well I cleaned it up and bent the switch back in place mostly and I'll try it with some speakers again soon.
 
Thanks to your help it's singing sweetly!

Only a couple minor bugs I need to work out, but I know how to fix those.

Even the switch that was broken is now working perfectly after some tricky bending!

Wow! This sounds really really nice, a lot of kick to it.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom