The Fisher 400 vs. Mac MC225

the keester

I dig music.
For a vinyl only setup and assuming I used a Pro-Ject Tube Box 2 phono stage for both, which do you consider the better sounding amp?

I am using a Marantz TT=15 turntable and Dynaco A25s listening to mostly classic rock.

I know the Mac is much more expensive but I know Mcintosh is an expensive brand and Fisher more for the everyday fella. Does the price you pay make a huge difference in what youre getting in this situation?

Not a terribly fair comparison; the 400 is an FM stereo receiver, the MC-225 a power amp. The 400 is very nice but chockfull of compromises to provide tuner, preamp, and power amp in one package. The MC-225 is a component for the ages; possibly the nicest 7591 amplifier ever built.

If you can afford an MC-225, get an MC-225! And get it better speakers, too! Nothing wrong with A-25s, but theres a whole world of more dynamic and impactful options out there for a 400 or an MC-225.

EDIT: If it were me, and I had that kind of Geld to spend on an amplifier, though.... I'd skip both and buy a Marantz 8B.

It would depend on what you want in the system. If only a power amp needed then go for the MC225. Both probably will need some tlc to get into spec and the 225 is mch easier to work on. It also allows you to grow the system easier. The 400 is a nice unit also, more just an issue as to whether you want an all in one or possibly will want to later add separates.

Not a terribly fair comparison; the 400 is an FM stereo receiver, the MC-225 a power amp. The 400 is very nice but chockfull of compromises to provide tuner, preamp, and power amp in one package. The MC-225 is a component for the ages; possibly the nicest 7591 amplifier ever built.

If you can afford an MC-225, get an MC-225! And get it better speakers, too! Nothing wrong with A-25s, but theres a whole world of more dynamic and impactful options out there for a 400 or an MC-225.

EDIT: If it were me, and I had that kind of Geld to spend on an amplifier, though.... I'd skip both and buy a Marantz 8B.

Agreed1:yes:

russellc

Between the 2 choices given, I would be jumping all over the 225 if it was affordable. Like said above, you could build and improve your system for a long time with the Mc as your amp.

Not a terribly fair comparison...

I guess I'm a bit confused as well as to why you're comparing these particular two items.

An MC225 is worth around $1,500-$2,000 depending on condition, and a Fisher 400 around $250-$300. As much as I love my 400, if I had $1,500 in my hot little hands, that's probably not what I'd buy.

The more complete setup would have the Fisher with your existing gear - once it was fully restored.

OTOH, the Mac will have far, far more potential in the long run as it can stand to run with the best of any gear out there. This means that could build out a far nicer system once you swapped out all the other gear over the years.

Remember, tube gear is all about the quality of the output transformers. In this comparison, that's a no-brainer; tilt to the MC225.

Now, I'm assuming that either amp would be fully rebuilt and that you'd not be using a preamp if you went with the MC225, right?

Cheers,

David

The more complete setup would have the Fisher with your existing gear - once it was fully restored.

OTOH, the Mac will have far, far more potential in the long run as it can stand to run with the best of any gear out there. This means that could build out a far nicer system once you swapped out all the other gear over the years.

Remember, tube gear is all about the quality of the output transformers. In this comparison, that's a no-brainer; tilt to the MC225.

Now, I'm assuming that either amp would be fully rebuilt and that you'd not be using a preamp if you went with the MC225, right?

Cheers,

David

My fisher has been serviced with the fisher doctor mods and all the 12ax7s are all replaced with new JJs.

I plan on using the Pro-ject Tube Box II for a preamp for the Fisher and the MC225.

The thing is I ever listen to the radio and I only listen to vinyl so Im wondering if i should bite the bullet and get the MC225. Would I hear a significant improvement?

My Dynaco A25s might be the next part I upgrade but I want smaller speakers with nice bass like the A25s.

I love my Fisher 400 and will always keep and use it no matter what gear I have, I rotate my vintage gear in and out of use, but I am kicking myself in the ass for not buying an excellent condition MC225 for 800.00 bucks some time ago to go with my MX110.

Pretty unfair comparison. However, if you took the Fisher output iron, and made it into a dedicated power amp with a huge power supply..............:scratch2:

That one's for you Pak, wherever you are.:thmbsp:

Pretty unfair comparison. However, if you took the Fisher output iron, and made it into a dedicated power amp with a huge power supply..............:scratch2:

That one's for you Pak, wherever you are.:thmbsp:

There is this dude in Audiocircle, that builds amps with whatever iron you give him. He seems to keep the designs simple, all point to point wiring. He has a company and is in the vendors or manufacturers circle.

I hope I didnt break a rule by mentioning it..

Pak only uses weird tubes...I love his creations though!!!

My fisher has been serviced with the fisher doctor mods and all the 12ax7s are all replaced with new JJs.
That's too bad... had the original Mullards and Telefunkens been "harvested" before you got it?

MC-225 is the nicest-sounding vintage amp I've owned.
Well... certainly the nicest-sounding one that uses 7591s.

My Dynaco A25s might be the next part I upgrade but I want smaller speakers with nice bass like the A25s.

You might want to seriously think about where you are headed with this before making any more purchases. Small speakers and low output tube amps don't really match well together. The Dynaco's are about as small a speaker as I would typically put with a tube amp to get anything like decent sound.

Quality difference in amp sections between the 400 and 225 is no contest as the 225 is in a different league both in sound and price.

You might want to seriously think about where you are headed with this before making any more purchases. Small speakers and low output tube amps don't really match well together. The Dynaco's are about as small a speaker as I would typically put with a tube amp to get anything like decent sound.

Quality difference in amp sections between the 400 and 225 is no contest as the 225 is in a different league both in sound and price.

what would be the best speakers (near the same size as the dynacos) that you would pair with an MC225?

The Heresy isn't "too" much larger, and when the cheap original caps are replaced, they sound pretty good. Just a couple watts is a bunch on a Heresy.

what would be the best speakers (near the same size as the dynacos) that you would pair with an MC225?

Maybe too big and $ to answer the request well, but the Tannoy DMT 15s really work well with MC-225.

Knowing what I know now, I'd recommend a DIY two-way with JBL 2226 like Wayne Parham does with the Four Pi, and the best horn and compression driver you can afford on top, and Wayne's crossover.

I guess I'm the only one who likes the Fisher 400 better than the MC225.

IME, the Fisher just had it all over the Mc. in dynamics. Much "faster" sounding. Of course, this was a 400 that I had thoroughly gone through- replaced every cap of significance, re-biased, with a new set of EH7868s in it. But, I have to say... drums and percussion were VERY entertaining on it.

Don't get me wrong- the MC225 is a very nice amp... but it just didn't float my boat the way the Fisher 400 did.

And, BTW: Take away the Fisher 400, and replace it with what IMHO is the very BEST 7868 amp, the Sherwood 5000-II... and the Sherwood wins by an even bigger margin. I was simply astonished at how much LIFE those amps have, when they're put back in proper condition...

Of course, this very well may have been somewhat preamp-dependent... because, I have to say, I'm not a big Mc. preamp fan. But, at least some of the MC225s I've heard have been on other preamps (Conrad-Johnson and Paragon, among others)... so, it's not all that, I don't think...

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
The Heresy isn't "too" much larger, and when the cheap original caps are replaced, they sound pretty good. Just a couple watts is a bunch on a Heresy.

i actually tried a set of heresys at one point and my A25s sounded WAY better. more bass and a more rich sound.

I liked my Sherwood S5000II amp and S3000IV tuner much more than my Fisher 500-C. Never compard the 500 to a 400 so do not know what differences there may be. Also, IMHO not a good comparison between the Sherwoods and the Fisher as they not apples and apples.

Back
Top Bottom