Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:47 AM
AK Member

jbl l65 jubal vs. jbl l100

have heard much good comments about l100's, but i'm kind of newbie so i want to collect some information (and specs) if possible, about those two jbl vintage models.how do they perform,which one is considered to be a better speaker, and how do they compare to the decade l36 model which i currently own right now?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 AM
AK Member

my 2 cents

I'd probably rank the Jubal ahead of the l100 and the l100 ahead of the decade l36.

From what I've read the Jubal tweeter is supposed to be very good. Selling prices on the Jubals also seem to be higher than the L100.

I've seen and heard a few different decade models, and while they Ok , they are nothing I'd seek out.

I am however getting a set of woofers refoamed for a pair of L55 I have sitting in my closet......
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I agree! The L65 Jubal was one of their most musical sounding speakers ever. Nothing wrong with a well setup L100/4311 combo. A friend has a pair of 4311 Control Monitors and I listen to them quite often and love them. I use them in our broadcast control rooms and they are accurate.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 AM
AK Member

Either the Century or Jubal should sound better than the L36. I had a pair of L26 2-way Decades back in the 70s and now have Jubals. The L26 has the same woofer and tweeter as the L36 but no midrange. The L65 has much better highs than the L26. The imaging and detail with the 077 tweeter are pretty stunning, and the soundstage seems to be above the speakers, even though they sit on the floor. I can listen to the same LPs I had in high school and hear things now I never did then with the L26s.

All of these are classic JBLs- just try (and keep) 'em all.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
AK Member

I have to agree on the L65. One truly fine speaker. Coupled to the right amp, they are about all any house system would need.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Curve Junkie

Decade series (L36 et al.) was the inexpensive implementation of "West Coast" sound, though with somewhat different voicing than L100/4311B which are NOT accurate, rather, "Fake but FUN!" but overpriced for what they are.

Everyone talks up the Jubals outside the Lansing Heritage Forum, but the diffraction slot tweeter is a matter of taste, notwithstanding what they sell for. More generally, Jubal's major "issue" is that it plays to the knees....

In relentless pursuit of truth, enlightenment, and the AudioKarma way...."

November 22, 1942 ~ February 4, 2011 R.I.P.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Audiokarma.org Member of the Year 2010
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
AK Member

which you mean are not accurate? the l100 or l36 decade? i must say , that i've heard some people prefer the l36 over the l100.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Curve Junkie

Neither, tho L100/4311B is less accurate, with its boomy bass, forward midrange, and rolled-off highs, it was designed to mimic the notoriously inaccurate Altec 604....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited by Zilch; 04-21-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Analog Addiction

A lot of people have said back in the late 70's to early 80's the l-100/4311b speakers were used by many engineers and producers and you can hear it. There are and were so many other speakers that are accurate and make better speakers for a faithful reproduction of the source material. They really sold a BUNCH of the century 100's thats for sure as I see them all over the place!

-Mike

Last edited by Mmike; 04-21-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
AlienToAllThingsAudio

I happen not to like what many refer to as the 'west coast sound', which is typified by JBL. So, when I find JBL speakers, I generally play with them for a while then sell them. ADS, B&W, AR... I keep.
Audiokarma
Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Curve Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMover View Post
I happen not to like what many refer to as the 'west coast sound', which is typified by JBL. So, when I find JBL speakers, I generally play with them for a while then sell them. ADS, B&W, AR... I keep.
Not all JBLs are "West Coast," of course.

In pro, the large-format 43xx and all 44xx are not.

Most all of the later consumer models are not, either....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Only 99 easy payments!

It's an "L" of a choice!

When I was 70salesguy, I had the good fortune of having L100s, L65s and L36s as well as L16s, L26s and L88ps in my store.

Since I was a full-time Engineering student, I worked late afternoons and evenings during the week. That meant that I spent a fair amount of time in the store with few or no customers. That allowed me to spend a good amount of time "listening" and doing comparisons.

I liked the L100s better than the L65s. It might have been different in a home environment, or even if I did the comparison now, but at the time I liked the L100s better. That's why I bought the L100s when it came time to spend my own money.

The L36 is a good speaker, but frankly, I liked the L26 better.

You have to remember, everyone hears differently! And personal tastes vary.

The L65s are highly sought after for a reason.

Try to listen to them all if you can and you decide!

As said here before : You're the only one who has to like the sound of your system!

Good luck!

The 70salesguy Museum of Modern Electronics - The designated South Atlantic Repository for Vintage Crown equipment
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
AK Member

thanks for your informative reply 70salesguy.so what is the reason that the l65 are highly sought after?
unfortunately i have no ability of hearing them first cause i don't live in the US and jbl vintage speakers rarely show up .that's why i try to find out as musch as possible throuhg this thread and by having only the l-36 experience.
do you think that with either the l-65 or l100 will i notice a major improvement?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:13 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70salesguy View Post
When I was 70salesguy, I had the good fortune of having L100s, L65s and L36s as well as L16s, L26s and L88ps in my store.
Where were you then? I bought my L26s and the L40s that replaced them (and much more gear) at Audio Systems in Charlotte in the late 70s.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Only 99 easy payments!

Smile The "L" with it!

It would be MY PERSONAL preference for L100s over L36s. The L26 was brought to the market to compete with a variety of 2-way speaker systems that were capturing a large part of the market.

It was in effect, the "Advent-Killer". Many people were interested in the original Advent speaker, a good speaker at a good price point, and JBL wanted part of that action. The result was the L26 which represented simular "voicing" as the L100 but at a more modest price, originally $119 as compared to $273. The L16 was a little less and the L36 a bit more.

JBL describes the L16 and L26 in a 1974 brochure as "economy and beauty in compact bookshelf loudspeakers". The L36 as "The leader of the Decade family".

The Decade series was designed to compete at specific pricepoints. all below that of the L100.

I believe that the L100 and members of the 4311/4312 family would represent "a step up". How much of a step is debateable.

The L65s are a wonderful piece, they are described by JBL in the same brochure as "a studio quality 3-way system". They will perform very well and if you don't believe it, listen to Most of us are sad by the Eagles!

If you had the chance to acquire a good pair at a reasonable price, i would recommend it, they are well-regarded! But they are also pricey!

The store I worked in was in Charleston, SC. By the late 70s, I was in the Nuclear Power business with a "real" job making "real" money!

The 70salesguy Museum of Modern Electronics - The designated South Atlantic Repository for Vintage Crown equipment
Audiokarma