New Camaro

70salesguy

Only 99 easy payments!
I got an email today from my Chevrolet dealer inviting me down to his place on May 5 to see and drive the new Camaro.

He did request that I make an appointment if I wanted to drive it.

Let's see, that's a Tuesday.....need to put this in my Daytimer. :yes:

I saw one yesterday, driving up the road behind me, still had some of the protective garb on it from shipping. It pulled into the chevrolet dealership. Looks like the employees are already testing it. It looked very niiice.

Was just at the Camaro factory a couple of weeks back, and saw a lot full of them. Damn, what an impressive automobile. Chevy has knocked one out of the ballpark with this car. Even the base version has the 304 HP Cadillac V6. The SS with the Corvette engine, is even nicer. Build quality looked impeccable (paint finish, assembly quality, interior quality, etc.). Haven't been this excited about a car in ages.

For the first time in ages, GM owns a price class with a car that is better and cheaper than anything the Japanese, Koreans, etc. are producing. If all their cars had been this good and this well priced, GM would not be in the trouble that they are in.

Got my appointment in for a test drive too. As it is based on the G8, it should be an awesome ride!

That 3.6DI engine should scoot the Camaro down the road pretty nice, it can push the 4300 pound CTS to 60 in 6 seconds flat. But a Camaro needs a V8, sign me up for the one with the LS3 in it. Glad to see GM figured out how to build nice cars again, maybe the tables will turn. I haven't been impressed with the latest Japanese products I've been in.

Fine looking piece these are I saw them at Barrett-Jackson and actually got to sit in one. Having owned 5 1St Gen Camaros I must say that GM did put this one out of the park. 4 wheel discs, 4 wheel independent suspension and Gobbs of Horseponies! Man this thing is Sweeeet. Can`t wait for a test drive sometime next month according to the dealer here.

NAH - with gas prices going up it is very dumb that GM put all that money into gas guzzling POS. It is just what is causing the American Automarket to go down the rat hole. When we pay 5 bucks a gallon - and we were close - I dont want to here people who bought them whining they can't afford the gas.

Well, it's not like they started designing this thing 6 months ago.

Do you honestly expect they'd take probably 5 years of work and just close the books on it?

...what an impressive automobile...Build quality looked impeccable (paint finish, assembly quality, interior quality, etc.)......!

This is good to hear. I'm glad there's an american car to be proud of.

...For the first time in ages, GM owns a price class with a car that is better and cheaper than anything the Japanese, Koreans, etc. are producing. If all their cars had been this good and this well priced, GM would not be in the trouble that they are in...!

Let's hope in the long run they keep it up, as well as straighten up the rest of the company, so it's not the old "day late, dollar short" syndrome...

NAH - with gas prices going up it is very dumb that GM put all that money into gas guzzling POS. It is just what is causing the American Automarket to go down the rat hole. When we pay 5 bucks a gallon - and we were close - I dont want to here people who bought them whining they can't afford the gas.

Gas-guzzling? Yeah.

POS? Probably not.

And remember- if they can build a car like this, they should be able to build cars that are also practical, sensible, economical and reliable.:scratch2:

Let's hope they do.:yes:

The actual initial design was 4 yrs ago - but actual amount of REAL work they put into it - 2 yrs max. All they are doing is just repackaging all the stuff they have out now. Nothing new - I really think it is ugly and an insult to older Camaros.

We can safely assume you won't be buying one? :D

I just seen my fist Camaro on the streets of Warren. I liked the first version they showed at car shows last year better. Had much cleaner lines.

Not sure what there might be for a GTI is besides a Volkswagon, but I prefer the looks of the Camaro, by quite a lot, actually.

I don't like it. I owned a '78 Camaro and it had leaner front and rear lines than this one. The LT's/ RS's and most of the Z 28's were all better looking. I just knew General Motors would reintroduce this thing again...it was only a matter of time after I read the obits on the original run....And why are key gauges down by the shifter??? Just spill something and see what happens.

Last edited:
29? I will believe it when I see it - especially since it weighs 3500-3800 lbs. No way!
That's using the new EPA rating system too, that is less generous with the numbers than before.
I may buy me a new Camaro. Have about $2200 in my GM Card rebate account I can apply. Nice little grocery getter for a 59 year old geezer!

My 2002 Trailblazer is EPA rated at 23 highway. It got 23.6 at 65 to 70 mph with 4 rather hefty ham radio operators as passengers and a load of gear in the back to a hamfest in Belton, about 200 mi south of me. Of course we could have taken two Hondas that get 40 mpg each and used more gas, with twice the wear and tear and a bigger carbon footprint of two cars versus one SUV.

Ugly red. I hate that shade of red, and GM keeps using it. The yellow is ok.... how about something a little spicier, GM? You need cars that people want to BUY, remember?

Sorry, don't like it. Looks like they had their Cadillac people design the body. It's too boxy looking for me and does not retain the original Camaro lines. At least Ford retained the general original styling with the Mustangs.

I love it. Very cool and I hope it does well. As a Ford guy though, Mustang isn't so far behind. It's lighter and has insane grip now 'days. I'd guess Ford will slap some bigger brakes on it and find some more power before long. For now though, well done GM. Hope you sell a million of them in Japan and end up on top. Not holding my breath, but I can hope.

Take care,

Ed

Back
Top Bottom