• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another lonely speaker...

cooljjay

Super Member
Banned
Here I go again buying another lonesome garage speaker, I figure heck someone might need a driver. I can't never seem to find a set of AR speakers, this is a nice one too, I wish its mate was around. Just had to share...Are AR-2's rare?? I hear and see everything about ar-3 and 4's but never 2's :scratch2:

9td5yt.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
They're not rare, but they're less desirable than the AR-2a, AR-2x, or AR-2ax versions.

I have a single AR-2, too (a dump find)... too bad we're 3000 miles apart.
 
lonely speaker

That is funny,I just picked this one up this morning at a thrift shop for 89 cents while I was looking for alblums,hooked it up by itself it works well nothing special or anything i need but can,t pass stuff up
 

Attachments

  • new 012.jpg
    new 012.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 42
  • new 014.jpg
    new 014.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 44
No wonder early AR's are so lonely. Once you get them "undressed" you almost have to look away they're so homely:)
 
?That is one gigantic tweeter...or two gigantic tweeters. do they play the upper bass frequencys well?

:D

It did sound very well, it sounded as good as my huge floor speakers. I didn't play to much through it. I just wanted to check that none of the speakers/tweeters were blown. Its now sitting in pieces on the coffee table waiting to make someone else's ar-2's whole again.
 
AR-2 Orphans

Yeah - I had an orphan AR-2 as well. The woofer on mine experienced significant sag and rubbed against the voice coil. Oh well, cool-looking, or ugly? I can't decide on these.
 
Bose 501 orphan followed me home after a $1.00 donation was made yesterday , now gotta figure out what to do with it !




Barney
 
I believe the AR2s were made in 1957. This was just before or near the same time that stereo was introduced. Maybe they were purchased as singles for momo systems and that's why so many orphans are showing up.

I use AR2s with my Pilot 240 tube amp and really enjoy them. I had some 2as but actually like the 2s better.
 
Back
Top Bottom