Sherwood Speakers (Exclusively for Musicraft)

Robie

Live it or live with it.
Subscriber
I ran across a pair of Sherwood speakers as described above at a garage sale yesterday. They were under a tent and it was raining pretty heavily so only the hardcore garage salers were out.

I'm not sure of the details but they are not Tanglewoods or Ravinias. As indicated in the title, they were evidently an in-store model produced exclusively for a now defunct local Chicago-area audio chain.

I passed and didn't even inquire as to condition or price but with 4 Sherwood receivers it's been haunting me. The sale continues today. Anyone familiar with this model?

Last edited:
Went back and picked 'em up for $5. A bit murky sounding with rolled off highs. Perfect for garage speakers.

A bit smaller than A25s with a 8" wooger and 3-3/8" tweeter. 40- 18,000 hz.

Pics at 11.

Last edited:
Acoustic suspension speakers with vinyl cabs. Well made and very heavy. I presume these would benefit from a recap but kind of nice. Great vintage grille cloth.

I placed them next to my A25s for a scale comparison. The Sherwood is sitting on a sample of a rubber poured playground surface so it's not actually as tall as it appears.

Pics:

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Last edited:
What is with the tweeter? It looks too small for the hole with a lot of room and no seal. If so, then not the original tweeters and may be part of the problem and the AS principal of an aor tight box is violated.

Actually, it's sealed air-tight despite the pics.

The cabs are pretty much sealed with the exception of some pin holes in one of the tweeter cones. I think they are stock. The mastic used to seal the tweeter makes it look like the hole is oversized.

The thick fiber board grille "frames" (around which the grille cloth is stapled) resemble a thick cardboard but do have an oversized hole for the tweeters. It was very tough to pry them off.

The cabs are very heavy 3/4" MDF or similar material and vinyl covered.

The woofers appear to be coated cloth surrounds.

Last edited:
Scan from the back page of my S-8800 manual that shows the only two Sherwood speakers I ever heard of. Those pictured above only have an 8" woofer.

S-8800 Manual Pg 19.jpg

Tried to open them up via the woofers but they are really glued into the recessed baffle.

I was hoping to get a number or two off the drivers and recon a recap but it will have to wait.

Are there any tricks for getting speakers out of a recessed mount? I'm assuming the gaskets or caulk have turned into glue.

I rebuilt a pair of ARs some months ago and found the perfect tool for removing the recessed drivers was a paint can opener. You could also try a thin flat-blade screwdriver with the end of the blade bent at 45 degrees. Just go around the driver a few times and don't rush it.

Nice find!

Thanks, litefusegetaway. I'll give the paint can opener a go. The screwdriver didn't do the trick. The baffle is too soft to pry against.

Take the screws out of the woofer, get a screwdriver small enough to fit inside the screw holes, bend the tip at 90 deg and insert it into the hole so it's between the speaker and the baffle and pull carefully. Handy tool to have.

Back
Top Bottom