Tandberg TCD 3014 vs 3014A

genewoodall

Hello all:

I have been trying to determine the differences between the 3014 and 3014 A and all I have learned is that the Tandberg TCD-3014A is obviously a later model very similar to TCD-3014. The A version had matt (not shiny) capstans, also matt (not shiny) buttons and the advertising claimed improved electronic components. Also the A version was sold standard with a IR remote, which was an option for the older TCD-3014 (accounting for some of the price increase no doubt).

I have located an A version locally but wonder if there will be any noticable differences in sound and operation.

Does anyone know what the improved electronic components are? Correct me if I am wrong, but service manual for both models is the same.

Thanks
Gene

I owned both machines for a short while and was able to compare. You've pretty well described the differences. The A also has multi-colored LEDs, and the non-A has only red LEDs. As far as the electronics goes, the A version seems to have higher-quality capacitors inside. The A version has lots of polystyrene caps, and some other high-quality film caps (possibly also polystyrene, but I'm not certain of this), whereas the non-A appears to have just mylar caps.

I didn't have the chance to compare these much sonically, as my A's belt broke before I had the chance.

I can tell you that I presently have a Nak CR-7A, and a Revox B215s as well as the 3014A, and I find that I subjectively prefer the sound of my Tandberg over both of these other superb machines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom