Shootout! - SX-1080, TX-8500, JCX-2900K; ... other ~120 wpc?

Susurus

Resolution:6.62×10^-34
Any predictions? :scratch2:

Why these 3 units? What 120 watters would you include?

Not as much info as the flashier, star top-billing 160+ TOTL units. And my SX-1050 isn't working... :dunno:

Before the important listening, a few comments:

The Onkyo has the best shielding.

The Pioneer has a toroid, the other two are dual mono E-transformers.

All have 4-gangs.

Onkyo's faceplate dark glow style harkens back to mid 70's--the other two are Silver-Everywhere flashiness of the very last of the Silver 1979-1980 period.

Onkyo: Toshiba T-03's.
Sanyo: Toshiba T-03's. 551,681
Pioneer: outputs look like flat packs but very high bandwidth. NEK(?)

The SX-1080 has the lowest distortion specs, the other two say higher 4-Ohm ability.

The knobs and pots on the Onkyo are not as good.

The 1080 has fun Power Meters... :thmbsp:

I'll of course use the same source, speakers, wires, etc. for the 'yo, other 'yo, & Pio...

How about a Technics SA-1010? 120wpc with less than 0.003% THD. Nice warm Class A, and cheesy "Space Dimension" control that actually isn't cheesy sounding at all. A great FM section, too, with both digital and analog displays. You just have to get used to the face - there are no knobs.

The Luxman L-120A is a nice integrated. One of the few amplifiers I know with a Loudness button that actually does a nice job. Rated for 110WPC at 0.01%. I can draw about 150WPC out of mine into eight Ohms before it clips.

How about a Technics SA-1010? 120wpc with less than 0.003% THD. Nice warm Class A, and cheesy "Space Dimension" control that actually isn't cheesy sounding at all. A great FM section, too, with both digital and analog displays. You just have to get used to the face - there are no knobs.

You sure its class A? 120 class A watts is not easy feat.

You sure its class A? 120 class A watts is not easy feat.

Its not pure class-a. Its a heavily biased Class A/B unit that probably plays class-a for maybe 10 watts. JVC called it Super-A, Denon did it in the 80s, and Technics did it with their new class A products. Marantz did PURE class-A up to 30 watts in some of their high end gear.

After trying all of them, the Marantz comes out on top as it is pure class-A, and the JVC is a close second with an extremely accurate sound. The denon and technics...dont play them on revealing speakers if you want to listen to music for hours.

The Pioneer SX D7000 get's my vote

Ran one of those for 20+ years, most of that time under a 4 ohm or tougher load, Lightning got it in the end .. Very nice and under rated gear.
My manual recommended at least 6" clearance above the unit and it needed it.
If that was mine I would at least slide the TT as far to the right as possible.
You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Another very nice sounding 120 watter is the Optonica SA-5905.
Dual mono, 4 gang FM, But no pre out / main in or prossessor loop like the SX-D7000.

Here is a Nude of the SA-5905.

Steve

attachment.php

Kenwood KR-9400
Yamaha CR-2040

For a ringer integrated - try to get your hands on a Luxman L-110.

Back
Top Bottom